Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yale Coach resigns

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
    You may be an alumni interviewer for Harvard, but you have NO IDEA how Harvard truly compares with other Ivy schools with respect to admissions. Your entire universe is Harvard.

I can assure you I know what I'm talking about. Those with direct experience working with a great many Ivy athletic prospects from all of the Ivies in the process, and are well aware of the scores posted to gain entrance for each-- as I am--, can attest to the fact that Harvard IS significantly more flexible. Harvard has regularly accepted significantly lower scores each year from several of it's players than either Yale or Princeton would ever consider an acceptable minimum. This isn't merely my perception, it's a fact based on a large number of specific athletes, and direct knowledge of their scores and GPAs at each of the Ivies.

Furthermore, Harvard is able is average the AI of it's entire recruiting class. At Yale, every athlete must meet the AI threshold individually. That's a significant difference, and advantage for Harvard.

I do think it's probably true that Harvard is more likely to deliberately recruit certain very high SAT scoring athletes for the specific purpose of meeting it's AI requirement than other Ivy schools (with little/no intention of actually playing them) merely to win the AI game. Most other coaches would have an ethical problem doing this. However, I can also vouch for the fact that this practice does not explain Stone's predilection for running a short bench. I am aware of multiple players she got through Admissions with low (by Ivy Standards) SAT scores, who she still chose not to play much, and despite assurances to the contrary in the recruiting process.

Of course, Cornell is at a significant advantage versus all the other Ivy schools in that most of their athletes actually enroll in the "State School" degree programs they offer, which require a much lower entrance score. This is a big recruiting advantage, and will likely always be the case. I've even heard other coaches from scholarship schools like Colgate and RPI complain over the years, that they couldn't get athletes in that were accepted at Cornell.
    So you're saying Harvard is outsmarting the system

Comment

You may be an alumni interviewer for Harvard, but you have NO IDEA how Harvard truly compares with other Ivy schools with respect to admissions. Your entire universe is Harvard.

I can assure you I know what I'm talking about. Those with direct experience working with a great many Ivy athletic prospects from all of the Ivies in the process, and are well aware of the scores posted to gain entrance for each-- as I am--, can attest to the fact that Harvard IS significantly more flexible. Harvard has regularly accepted significantly lower scores each year from several of it's players than either Yale or Princeton would ever consider an acceptable minimum. This isn't merely my perception, it's a fact based on a large number of specific athletes, and direct knowledge of their scores and GPAs at each of the Ivies.

Furthermore, Harvard is able is average the AI of it's entire recruiting class. At Yale, every athlete must meet the AI threshold individually. That's a significant difference, and advantage for Harvard.

I do think it's probably true that Harvard is more likely to deliberately recruit certain very high SAT scoring athletes for the specific purpose of meeting it's AI requirement than other Ivy schools (with little/no intention of actually playing them) merely to win the AI game. Most other coaches would have an ethical problem doing this. However, I can also vouch for the fact that this practice does not explain Stone's predilection for running a short bench. I am aware of multiple players she got through Admissions with low (by Ivy Standards) SAT scores, who she still chose not to play much, and despite assurances to the contrary in the recruiting process.

Of course, Cornell is at a significant advantage versus all the other Ivy schools in that most of their athletes actually enroll in the "State School" degree programs they offer, which require a much lower entrance score. This is a big recruiting advantage, and will likely always be the case. I've even heard other coaches from scholarship schools like Colgate and RPI complain over the years, that they couldn't get athletes in that were accepted at Cornell.
      Wrong. I have family members and kids of friends who were recruited to D-1 schools, some of them Ivy (Brown, Princeton and Dartmouth) and I know EXACTLY what scores and grades factor into the AI because I've talked to the coaches and admissions folks outside of Harvard when my family members were applying. And I knew the kids' scores and grades. I did this to get a wider lens into the recruiting process and how Harvard differs from the other Ivies.

While it is true that Harvard uses a 'balanced' approach, to term it 'flexible' is simply misleading. Any admissions officer from any school would object to that wording. The process is long and arduous and there are a number of factors that are used to determine whether an applicant is admitted. My nephew and one of his best friends were being recruited by several of the same schools, Connecticut College being one of them. Despite having better grades and scores and a wider and deeper athletic resume, my nephew was rejected from CC and his friend got accepted. But my nephew got accepted to a school where one of his other teammates got rejected even though his friend had slightly better numbers. Not even legacies are assured of getting in.

The elephant in the room is of course $$$. As I mentioned in my post, while Harvard does offer very good financial aid, we'll lose a kid if one of the scholarship schools comes calling and offers a generous package or a full ride. Tough to compete against that.

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
        I was not the one that said that Harvard is more flexible. I do think that Harvard is more creative. Year after year we see players that have very high academics scores that dont touch the ice. (perhaps these are the bench players that are mentioned.) We know this helps the recruits with the lower scores get in through the AI. But we also know that sometimes, it just doesn't work and a player can not make the hurdles to get through admissions. I think this is one of the reasons so many players come from Nobles. If they get into Nobles, and can make it through the academic rigor there, they most likely will get the scores and grades needed to get in. Until recently I do not believe that Yale did this. I had suspicions this was going to happen with the higher number of recruits they are getting. With coaching changes, all bets are off. But they may be just playing the attrition game, knowing they will lose some to the scholarship schools. Interesting that the 2 IVY Schools with the smallest rosters are Princeton and Cornell. (and we know how they did this year!) If you get recruited to play there and get in- you will play. With 18 skaters, everyone touches the ice. Has to make for a better experience for all these players, no one wonders who will be a healthy scratch and if they will play even if they dress. (even more so this year with the 19th skater dressing)
        I didn't say you were the one.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
          I didn't say you were the one.
          My wife once said this to me.

Comment

In the case of Princeton, I would imagine that having a prolific hockey player as the current AD would help a lot with recruiting on the women's side.

Comment

Getting 18U players only proves how far off USA hockey is in terms of talent selection. If they are that good, why do they become average at Harvard? People can blame the coaches, but it is more of a lack in judgement in recruiting. Tons of talent out there that don't make those teams.
              Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
              Hard to believe that Harvard and Yale records are so similar when Harvard continues to get the u18 National team players. Actually says something for Yale that they kept up record wise with Harvard. Tougher admissions, not the u18 players and basically the same record. Time for Harvard to move on?

Comment

Perhaps that's why she was brought on board this year in the first place? It may be a changing attitude towards athletics at Yale as a whole: she also quickly dispensed with the Yale women's soccer coach who had been in the position for 23 years.
                Hmmm..... given that the former women's soccer coach was arraigned today in Boston for accepting bribes to get non-athletes into Yale as recruits for huge sums of money ($400K+ per student) and cooperated with authorities to convict the other folks arranging these admissions, I'm guessing that the firing might have been for other reasons ! I'm guessing they will rename the endowed chair for women's soccer after someone else in the near future.

Also, I know for a fact that 6 or 7 years ago Yale used to play the AI game just like all of the other Ivies. Personally knew a girl recruited by the Flygh folks who was of very questionable Division 1 talent but had crazy high academics. She was told specifically that they were only interested in her to help get a low AI student who was a very high end player into Yale and that they could help get her in but she wouldn't play much. The minute the other girl committed somewhere else, Yale dropped the girl I knew and she ended up at a very academically strong NESCAC school.
                Last edited by HockeyEast33; 03-12-2019, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                  Hmmm..... given that the former women's soccer coach was arraigned today in Boston for accepting bribes to get non-athletes into Yale as recruits for huge sums of money ($400K+ per student) and cooperated with authorities to convict the other folks arranging these admissions, I'm guessing that the firing might have been for other reasons ! I'm guessing they will rename the endowed chair for women's soccer after someone else in the near future.

Also, I know for a fact that 6 or 7 years ago Yale used to play the AI game just like all of the other Ivies. Personally knew a girl recruited by the Flygh folks who was of very questionable Division 1 talent but had crazy high academics. She was told specifically that they were only interested in her to help get a low AI student who was a very high end player into Yale and that they could help get her in but she wouldn't play much. The minute the other girl committed somewhere else, Yale dropped the girl I knew and she ended up at a very academically strong NESCAC school.
                  Is what you mention here part of the bigger picture from this article?

https://apnews.com/2450688f9e67435c8590e59a1b0e5b47
                  At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

Yes, Rudolph Meredith the former Yale soccer coach, has been indicted for accepting bribes as described. More detail about him in the Boston Globe.

Comment

Back to Hockey... I wonder if Brian Idalski might be interested/in the running for this position.

Comment

Originally posted by Milty View Post
                        Getting 18U players only proves how far off USA hockey is in terms of talent selection. If they are that good, why do they become average at Harvard? People can blame the coaches, but it is more of a lack in judgement in recruiting. Tons of talent out there that don't make those teams.
                        Thank you. Exactly. Players who make these teams don't always translate into success at the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

Incredibly sad day in collegiate athletics and college admissions. As if the NCAA doesn't have enough problems, now this comes to light.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                            Yes, Rudolph Meredith the former Yale soccer coach, has been indicted for accepting bribes as described. More detail about him in the Boston Globe.
                            The local press has not mentioned the womens hockey coach at all so far concerning the scandal. I hope it is just coincidence.
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                            X