X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 Kazmaier

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Congratulations to Loren Gable!
    Ditto! And I used to think there was a Badger bias. Guess I was wrong.
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      The award is not an MVP award...
      I've seen the criteria. She's a hockey Humanitarian Finalist and a better player. Loren Gabel had nice numbers in an inferior conference. Anything else you care to add to the equation genius?

Comment

It’s hard to look at the Patty Kaz website and not be struck by the number of repeat nominees over the years and therefore the number of repeat 0-fers. Keller is in good company. But other than the freshman Watts, there could be no better proof, on the other end, that the Kaz isn’t a career trophy than Meghan Agosta. She is the only player to make the top-three four times, and she went 0-4. That had to sting. She just happened to have the misfortune to run up against the “career years” of Chu, Vaillancourt, Vetter and Duggan (whatever one thinks of those choices). But Agosta’s Kaz run was a pretty remarkable achievement.

(I wish the committee would give up what I understand to be a misleading “finalist” thing for the top-three, as if there were a subsequent run-off. They’re the first, second and third vote-getters on the final ballot, correct? There must be other ways to honor this than to misname it.)

Comment

Congratulations to Loren Gabel

Hannah Brandt never won a Patty K. I'm not saying any of the players that won it shouldn't have won it. Just that I would never expect to receive more from a player than we got from Hannah Brandt!

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
            Congratulations to Loren Gabel

Hannah Brandt never won a Patty K. I'm not saying any of the players that won it shouldn't have won it. Just that I would never expect to receive more from a player than we got from Hannah Brandt!

Wisconsin has won five times; and the best player (IMO) to ever play for UW - Hilary Knight - is not one of them. (Ignoring goalie vs non-goalie debates, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
              Wisconsin has won five times; and the best player (IMO) to ever play for UW - Hilary Knight - is not one of them.
              True. You can make a very impressive list of players who didn't win the Kaz: Poulin, Agosta, Ouellette, Corriero, Darwitz, the Lams, Potter, Knight, Räty, Martin, etc. You have to have a great season, but you also need timing, reputation, and in some cases, luck.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                The award is not an MVP award...
                correct, it is a national scoring champion award

Ol' Man Kazmaier is rolling in his grave

Comment

congrats to Gabel. She really is a pleasure to watch. I bet the voting was very close for the top 3 and i would have been happy with any of them winning. I did want to see a defenseman win (Keller). If it is not a top scorer award, lets keep in mind the best d are out there for the PP, the penalty kill and sometime save goals when pucks get stuck in the crease behind the goalie. That has to be worth something that doesn't show on the score sheet. If it keeps going to the top scorer, then change the name or the criteria as it appears to be the only thing anyone is looking at.

Comment

Watching the final, and I can’t believe how impressive Pankowski is. Like others, I have no issue with who the PK winner is, these are all great players and I can’t imagine how hard it is to win this thing.

It’s interesting, 4 of the last 10 winners were WCHA, and 1 of the last 5 (the one was Desbiens, a goalie) was WCHA. To take nothing away from any winner ever, I will say that I suspect it helps to have someone promoting you throughout the year, and getting your highlights out there. BC and Northeastern are phenomenal at doing this with individual highlights plus they both had free streams for a while there. Those 2 programs have 3 out of the last 5 PK winners. If Clarkson was more into the highlights and self promotion I think Gabel May have won last year. And it’s fine, they have a Natty Championship instead and she won this year...I’m sure they don’t care.

I’m not convinced the entire selection committee follows as in depth as some of the fans. Do I think every member of the voting committee knows that WCHA is lower scoring, has fewer power play opportunities, and has some tremendous goalies even on their lower ranked teams, and that their 2 best teams roll three to four lines further decreasing an individual’s chance at padding stats? No not at all.

I personally don’t think the WCHA makes their stuff as accessible as some of the other programs, we can look at their records and know they are phenomenal, but those programs, including Wisconsin could do better job of getting highlights out there. My 2 cents.

Comment

I was right about Pankowski's hate fire AND her superior talent.
                      Last edited by DPlaya; 03-24-2019, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                        I was right about Pankowski's hate fire.
                        I'm sure she would rather have the National Championship...
                        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

I was right about Pankowski's hate fire AND her superior talent.
                          I had never heard that term before, but I love it! I am going to let the 25 minute wait at the barber shop fuel my haircut hate fire, and the fact that there are no anchovies in the house will fuel my Caesar Salad hate fire. I am en fuego!

Also, congratulations to the Badgers.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                            I'm sure she would rather have the National Championship...
                            Safe to say. It's the rare great player who cares much about individual awards. They all want the big trophy.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I've seen the criteria. She's a hockey Humanitarian Finalist and a better player. Loren Gabel had nice numbers in an inferior conference. Anything else you care to add to the equation genius?
                              That doesn’t change the accuracy of my statement. And that is all I was responded to. Otherwise, as far as I care, you are talking to yourself, because I don’t give a cr*p,
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

the award misses the most important part of the season
                                Last edited by pokechecker; 03-25-2019, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X