Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

A different type of cheating but I highly recommend the Thai film Bad Genius about a straight-A student who devises an college entrance exams-cheating scheme.

Clearly the lesson here is don't use the middleman. Rich people have been getting their kids into schools by making bribes/"donations" for so long as there have been rich people and schools. Why they decided to use this Singer character is unknown to me.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Clearly the lesson here is don't use the middleman. Rich people have been getting their kids into schools by making bribes/"donations" for so long as there have been rich people and schools.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Clearly the lesson here is don't use the middleman. Rich people have been getting their kids into schools by making bribes/"donations" for so long as there have been rich people and schools. Why they decided to use this Singer character is unknown to me.
    Is there anything you can't explain away?

wubba lubba dub dub

I don't think he's explaining away anything, just saying that you get in trouble when using a middleman and trying to be secretive with your bribes. And it's true, when talking about college admittance. Just ask the Trumps or almost all legacy students.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

You gotta do it the encouraged way- donít pay a middleman. Donate 2.6m to the school directly like Mr Kushner did to get Jared in

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    You gotta do it the encouraged way- don’t pay a middleman. Donate 2.6m to the school directly like Mr Kushner did to get Jared in
    Yeah someone posted that article on facebook and I was gonna make a Bush II reference but I think he just got in via legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Is there anything you can't explain away?
    Do you really not understand that the rich and famous and politically powerful have been using those advantages to advance the education opportunities for their children forever, or is there something about your response that I'm not following? Yeah, my comment about the middleman was a bit snarky, but actually true, as demonstrated by this case.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Thank god Kelly Ann has weighed in

The lengthy affidavit submitted by the FBI in support of these indictments is a fascinating read. A lot of telephone transcripts of calls with the defendants. The schemes are interesting too.

Basically, they either involve bribing a coach or official at a school to admit a kid as a purported athlete, or they would go in and take the ACT or SAT tests for the kid. That seems to have been the most common scheme, and is pretty interesting as to how they handled it. Most of the time they'd try to get the kid classified as "slow" or otherwise of limited ability in order to get the kid into a two day (instead of one day) test, with the test held at a special testing spot controlled by the ringleader of the scheme. A proctor would then take the test for the kid or correct it after they were done.

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

Lori Loughlin now in Netflix: Fuller House Arrest.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    ďDon't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.Ē
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar

"Amateurs" - Big time D1 FBS and basketball coaches

Imagine how mad these schools are. $25 million in bribes to let some rich kid in and they didn't get a new dorm or athletic complex out of it.

Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    No kidding

Iíd like to see the median. Because itís a hell of a lot cheaper to get a tutor.
    Canít polish a turd....

wubba lubba dub dub

My, what a lawful government we have here today.

ICE supervisors sometimes skip required review of detention warrants, emails show

(CNN)Brent Oxley, an Immigration and Customs Enforcement deportation officer in Little Rock, Arkansas, was happy in his work, which he says "gave me the feeling that I was helping protect my country." A big part of his job: Look through rosters from local jails for people who might be deportable, ask for them to be held for ICE to pick up, then go get them.

But last May, ICE fired Oxley, for a variety of charges that included forging his supervisor's signature on arrest warrants for undocumented immigrants. Federal immigration law requires each warrant to be signed by an authorized supervisor. By signing them himself, an ICE administrator wrote to Oxley, he had exposed ICE to the possibility of "numerous unlawful detention lawsuits" over illegal arrests, had they not reissued the warrants.

Oxley challenged his termination, convinced he had not been alone in skipping the warrant-review process, which could be inconvenient when supervisors weren't in the office and the 48-hour time limit to release people was nearing its end. And he turned up evidence he was right...

Unlike Oxley, who outright forged his supervisor's signature, the other officers generally signed for their supervisors after getting their permission via text or phone. But in such cases -- or when officers were given blank, pre-signed warrants -- it's unclear how closely or even whether a supervisor would have reviewed an individual case.

Legally, the signature on a warrant attests that an authorized supervisor reviewed it and determined that there was probable cause to believe the person named was deportable. The Immigration and Naturalization Act doesn't offer the option of letting unauthorized officers sign for supervisors.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    After the Grand Boob is pulled from the Oval in handcuffs we're going to need to have a complete program of DeNazification in this country, starting with law enforcement.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Do you really not understand that the rich and famous and politically powerful have been using those advantages to advance the education opportunities for their children forever...
    I understand it just fine thanks for asking. The point is I don't think anyone needed you to clarify something so effing obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I understand it just fine thanks for asking. The point is I don't think anyone needed you to clarify something so effing obvious.
    Probably could have said that in your initial response, instead of writing something that made it obvious to everyone else here that you didn't understand what I typed.

Never Forget!

Good thing two celebrities were caught up in Operation Varsity Blues. Would have been boring if it had just been CEOs and their trophy spouses.

My question would be what happened to the kid once accepted on a football/crew/volleyball etc scholarship. If I get a football scholarship to USC they're kinda going to expect me to show up to practice and play on Saturdays. Or do they just Photoshop a picture of the kid in a uniform on the sidelines?

Considering this fraud did involve athletic personnel and scholarship money do you suppose the NCAA will get involved, or just keep looking the other way while large institutions commit violations?

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Good thing two celebrities were caught up in Operation Varsity Blues. Would have been boring if it had just been CEOs and their trophy spouses.

My question would be what happened to the kid once accepted on a football/crew/volleyball etc scholarship. If I get a football scholarship to USC they're kinda going to expect me to show up to practice and play on Saturdays. Or do they just Photoshop a picture of the kid in a uniform on the sidelines?

Considering this fraud did involve athletic personnel and scholarship money do you suppose the NCAA will get involved, or just keep looking the other way while large institutions commit violations?
    Doesn't need to involve a scholarship at all. If the family could afford a six or seven digit bribe, the scholarship doesn't really matter. They were just trying to gain admission, not financial aid, and these kinds of "athletes" are the best possible kind of recruit -- a recruit who was good enough to make the team but could afford to pay their own way.

I wonder if this will cause anyone to revisit the question of why an athlete can be admitted to a university when their grades / scores are not good enough to get them in as a regular student. Why isn't that a violation of the "cannot receive anything a normal student would not" NC$$ rule?

I realize why the waiver exists (many star athletes are too stupid to get into college on the merits, and star athletes generate $$$ for everybody). I just don't know how it has survived without any apparent scrutiny all these years. We just take it for granted that if you are a star athlete you can substitute your athletic cred for academic cred in the admissions process.

Why?
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Thread Information