X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    Anyone can be an assault victim. Only a limited few can be a victim of assault based upon race.
    That's simply wrong. Anybody can be a victim of an assault based on race. Text of 18 USC 249 (and the various state hate crime laws) specify race, period. Not "black." Not "non-white." Race. And in fact you can commit a hate crime against your own race. Heck, Clarence Thomas practically does it as a job description.

You need to come out from whatever right wing internet rock you live under and actually read and research rather than lapping up the propaganda for dummies the Echo Chamber puts out.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      That's simply wrong. Anybody can be a victim of an assault based on race. Text of 18 USC 249 (and the various state hate crime laws) specify race, period. Not "black." Not "non-white." Race. And in fact you can commit a hate crime against your own race. Heck, Clarence Thomas practically does it as a job description.

You need to come out from whatever right wing internet rock you live under and actually read and research rather than lapping up the propaganda for dummies the Echo Chamber puts out.
      Of course. But as I explaining to dx as you were figuring out ways to try to insult me, if I set out to assault someone, the entire population except me is a potential victim. But if I want to commit a hate crime, going to be tough for me to commit one against a fellow caucasian, at least based upon race.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Of course. But as I explaining to dx as you were figuring out ways to try to insult me, if I set out to assault someone, the entire population except me is a potential victim. But if I want to commit a hate crime, going to be tough for me to commit one against a fellow caucasian, at least based upon race.
        The f-cking sh-t does that even mean? Do you think there shouldn't be laws against sexual assault? Hell, let's get rid of laws against burglary -- they disproportionately involve victims with property!

Nobody's insulting you here but you.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          The f-cking sh-t does that even mean? Do you think there shouldn't be laws against sexual assault? Hell, let's get rid of laws against burglary -- they disproportionately involve victims with property!

Nobody's insulting you here but you.
          What is your problem here? I don't even oppose hate crime legislation. Where did I say that I did? I was responding to slapshot's theory that the purpose for hate crime legislation is that hate crimes are especially dangerous because they expand the potential victim pool. I called hogwash since by definition the victim needs to fall within a particular subset of the population.

I'm perfectly fine with enhancing penalties for a murder or assault or a rape or whatever if motivated by hate. Jeebus, go back and read my original response to slapshot.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

All crime is based on hate; if you loved your neighbor wouldn't commit crimes against them.

Now pick your flavor of hate:
            - hate that they have more money - greed
            - hate that they're banging your spouse - infidelity
            - hate based on "differences" - pick the corresponding "-ism" here

I guess I'm too binary. Rape? Murder? I don't care "why" they did it (we know why: hate). Did they do it? If so, consequences forthwith.
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Anyone can be an assault victim. Only a limited few can be a victim of assault based upon race.
              100% wrong.

Comment

Hovey is wording it poorly, but you guys are actually agreeing with him.

He's not saying white people can't be a victim of a hate crime.
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                  All crime is based on hate; if you loved your neighbor wouldn't commit crimes against them.

I guess I'm too binary. Rape? Murder? I don't care "why" they did it (we know why: hate). Did they do it? If so, consequences forthwith.
                  Do you know what the differences between involuntary manslaughter, voluntary manslaughter, murder 2, and murder 1 boil down to?

Motivation and mental state. So yes, we've always cared about "why" - you just don't care about this particular "why."

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                    Hovey is wording it poorly, but you guys are actually agreeing with him.

He's not saying white people can't be a victim of a hate crime.
                    We understand that with his having clarified it. Yet what he is saying is also inane.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 03-02-2019, 07:25 AM.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      Do you know what the differences between involuntary manslaughter, voluntary manslaughter, murder 2, and murder 1 boil down to?
                      “What are lawyers fees?”
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Dope..
                        Originally posted by mookie1995
                        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                          What if a minority assaults me because I am white and that person hates white people (whites have given a lot of reasons over the years, no denying that)? Or go back to my Greek Orthodox Church arson question and insert any race/ethnicity/etc?

For me, it's just...I dunno...too murky of where the line should be drawn.
                          Of course it is.
                          Originally posted by mookie1995
                          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Republican? Democrat?

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              “What are lawyers fees?”
                              Jesus, I can't believe this wasn't my line.
                              Cornell University

Comment

I'll have to see a link supporting this premise.
                                Use your brain.

Comment

Working...
                                X