Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    Allergies are different though. A child could die just by breathing in the dust if they're sensitive enough. Muslim children are not going to die because the kid next to them is eating sausage.
    Yup.

Let's put it this way, if I move to France, or China, or Iran....I won't demand they bend to my tastes/beliefs/etc. I will adjust to them. I expect the same here.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

When I go to India, I'm not going to demand they remove the cashews from whatever curry they're selling just because I'm allergic.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    When I go to India, I'm not going to demand they remove the cashews from whatever curry they're selling just because I'm allergic.
    I wouldn't do that, I'd (guess what) NOT ORDER IT.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    I wouldn't do that, I'd (guess what) NOT ORDER IT.
    That said, there probably does need to be a pork-free option in some of these communities where Muslims are a growing minority. And I'm not talking about vegetable slumgullion, either.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

He fixes the cable?

Huh. Thought maybe it was guilt for the Shoah. Would have been a better reason. Still very stupid, but better.

That said, there probably does need to be a pork-free option in some of these communities where Muslims are a growing minority. And I'm not talking about vegetable slumgullion, either.
    Options are fine and dandy. But to ban it all? Naw, that's BS.

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!

Were they really serving pork that often that there needs to be any sort of big deal made out of this either way. Seems a lot of people are whining about it for no reason. (whether they agree with the ban or not)

In all my years in school I can probably count on both hands how often I had pork. If they hadnt announced it would anyone have even noticed?
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Were they really serving pork that often that there needs to be any sort of big deal made out of this either way. Seems a lot of people are whining about it for no reason. (whether they agree with the ban or not)

In all my years in school I can probably count on both hands how often I had pork. If they hadnt announced it would anyone have even noticed?
    That's kinda the point. Muslims came in, "NO PORK!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    "Well, ok, can't offend anyone, guess we can't serve pork anymore."
    "WHAT? NO PORK?! BOMB IT ALL!"

It's sad. Honestly, really sad." All the kowtowing and over-reaction.....

Pork is served a lot in Germany, though Iím not an expert on kindergarten menus

Lucia Apologist

I know itís not the joke youíre trying to make, but German pork dishes are on par with American pork dishes. There was something absolutely divine about Die Postís schweineschnitzel in Herrsching-Ammersee. I think I had it for something like three nights during the first two weeks I spent there in 2017. I also had some roast pork at the abbey (?) a little ways away. Sehr gut.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    but German pork dishes are on par with American pork dishes
    Umm...I think you mean aren't on par, because German pork destroys American pork of any cut. Most American pork has had all the fat bred out of it - the crap you buy from the meat bathtub at Kroger, Cub Foods, King Soopers, Fred Meyer, Safeway, etc. is dry and bad. Even the tenderloin is lean and is only tender because it's tenderloin.

I know I'm going to get criticized for this, but whatever.

Can I ask, why should these schools have to do this? Is it wrong or impossible for them to offer another protein option that would also cover the Muslim kids? Or is the concern that doing so would alienate them from the non-Muslim kids?

I honestly can't think of another country in Europe with a bigger love affair with pork (maybe Austria or Poland). Eliminating it entirely from a public school because of one religious group seems like overkill.

That said, the AfD and the Neo-Nazis can go to hell for threatening violence over it.
    I had the same exact thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Pork is served a lot in Germany, though I’m not an expert on kindergarten menus
    I know a guy...

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Lucia Apologist

Umm...I think you mean aren't on par, because German pork destroys American pork of any cut. Most American pork has had all the fat bred out of it - the crap you buy from the meat bathtub at Kroger, Cub Foods, King Soopers, Fred Meyer, Safeway, etc. is dry and bad. Even the tenderloin is lean and is only tender because it's tenderloin.
    Yeah, but I was thinking along the lines of what we do with BBQ. Thatís an elevation of pork in a different and incredible way.

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    German kindergartens say theyíll remove pork from menus. Right wingers threaten to bomb the buildings

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...cenewsfacebook
    Germany without pork is no longer Germany

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Germany without pork is no longer Germany
    Thatís the most logical post youíve ever had here

The day Germans learn to form an orderly queue is the day Germany will cease to exist.

The day Germans learn to form an orderly queue is the day Germany will cease to exist.
    Play a martial march.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    That's kinda the point. Muslims came in, "NO PORK!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    "Well, ok, can't offend anyone, guess we can't serve pork anymore."
    "WHAT? NO PORK?! BOMB IT ALL!"

It's sad. Honestly, really sad." All the kowtowing and over-reaction.....
    I agree.

I've lived 4 years in Germany and 5 years in Japan, and I never had the presumption to expect my host countries to cater to my expectations. I ate what they ate, and did my best to assimilate however possible. It never entered my mind to foist my culture on my hosts.

That's how you immigrate successfully. You defer, and adjust.

Never Forget!

...or you give them an infectious disease to which they have no immunity and take those that don't die and put them on a reservation.

Or assimilate.

Either one.

Thread Information