Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 881 to 900 of 1001

Thread: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

  1. #881
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,214

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I don't think he's saying every white has to be a racist. He's saying the whites who are racists are using population x as their target. Even in Jesusf-ckistan there are going to be tons of white non-racists. Every white is not a Republican.

    In NoVa, the targets are El Salvadorans and Hondurans, both of whom the racists think are Mexicans.
    This.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  2. #882

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    24,053

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Man's mom dies. While cleaning out her possessions, finds frozen mummified infant corpse of his older sister in his mother's freezer.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

    Live Radio from 100.3

  3. #883

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    24,053

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Long article from Jalopnik about the racist trends of the 50's and 60's that lead to the construction of I-81 through the heart of Syracuse, and the effects it had. I've heard similar stories, and have seen first hand the after affects of similar work in the Chicagoland region. The current project I'm on still has city atlas maps that show the pre-expressway street grid and property boundaries even though the expressway (and the infrastructure that we're replacing) has been built since (and after) 1962.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

    Live Radio from 100.3

  4. #884

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    68,345

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    > "I want more answers"

    I think you know the only answer that matters, dude.

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  5. #885
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,053
    Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Don't want to pay for your kids' college education? Pass off guardianship to someone else.

    https://qz.com/1678111/a-new-college...-aid-loophole/
    I remember growing up the "Today" Show on NBC was a bastion of hard, informed news. Gumbel, Pauley and Brokaw would have experts and real journalists on to discuss the issues of the day.

    My mom is watching now with the volume cranked to overcome the air conditioner and listening to the two hosts talk about this college scandal was painful. Misinformation, half-truths and glossing over the news with total nonchalance.

  6. #886
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,649

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    I remember growing up the "Today" Show on NBC was a bastion of hard, informed news. Gumbel, Pauley and Brokaw would have experts and real journalists on to discuss the issues of the day.

    My mom is watching now with the volume cranked to overcome the air conditioner and listening to the two hosts talk about this college scandal was painful. Misinformation, half-truths and glossing over the news with total nonchalance.
    Scams like this have been going on forever. I know a couple (now long since dead) who divorced 30 years ago after 40 years of marriage just so she could become eligible for public assistance due to a medical issue and he wouldn't lose his repair business.

    There is a very simple rule. If you are handing out money based upon "need" you are going to get all sorts of people who will try to prove to you that they "need" it. Assume you're being scammed. Trust later.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  7. #887
    Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    41,700

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Scams like this have been going on forever. I know a couple (now long since dead) who divorced 30 years ago after 40 years of marriage just so she could become eligible for public assistance due to a medical issue and he wouldn't lose his repair business.

    There is a very simple rule. If you are handing out money based upon "need" you are going to get all sorts of people who will try to prove to you that they "need" it. Assume you're being scammed. Trust later.
    See I disagree. That is the BS Insurance companies sling to justify why many of them have the "deny first" policy. Smart businesses assume a certain level of theft and make a margin for it. They dont screw over the ones in need to prevent the (much lower level of) theft.

    see also: All the money wasted/whining about preventing voter fraud these days by a certain political group.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  8. #888
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,649

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    See I disagree. That is the BS Insurance companies sling to justify why many of them have the "deny first" policy. Smart businesses assume a certain level of theft and make a margin for it. They dont screw over the ones in need to prevent the (much lower level of) theft.

    see also: All the money wasted/whining about preventing voter fraud these days by a certain political group.
    I think the issue with insurance companies is different, for example what we're seeing here in Minnesota with BCBS, which I assume you are referring to, at least in part.

    The BCBS problem is an interesting one, but also very dangerous and maddening. I like the idea of someone at least asking questions about whether a diagnostic test or certain treatment is reasonable and necessary, because I do believe there is a tendency in some cases to over test or over treat. There is a financial benefit to it, plus I think doctors probably take a "better safe than sorry" approach so as to avoid getting sued.

    On the other hand, letting someone in North Carolina sit and second guess what my doctor says is necessary, the person who has actually examined me and talked to me and has probably treated me for years, is very, very frightening.

    But all of that is wrapped up in contract law and in the duty of a physician to treat you within an appropriate standard of care, and what happens when someone second guesses that opinion and bars the care.

    What I'm talking about is simply handouts based upon need. I've served on foundation boards where we've been approached by groups claiming a need, only to have discovered that they're concealing the true financial status of their group. The same with school aid. I work with a guy who has lived with his girlfriend for five years. They want to get married. They intend to get married. But she makes $40,000/year and has two kids about to enter college, and he makes five times what she does, and getting married isn't exactly going to improve the ol' FAFSA form. Thus, they wait.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  9. #889
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,053

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Scams like this have been going on forever. I know a couple (now long since dead) who divorced 30 years ago after 40 years of marriage just so she could become eligible for public assistance due to a medical issue and he wouldn't lose his repair business.

    There is a very simple rule. If you are handing out money based upon "need" you are going to get all sorts of people who will try to prove to you that they "need" it. Assume you're being scammed. Trust later.
    While true, my point in this case was how this demonstrates the way news broadcasting has fallen in recent years. The vitriol at Faux "News" is bad but this is network TV news with a much higher audience and everyone watching now thinks they have a handle on what this scandal is about and in reality they have no clue. In the old days, there would have been a seven-minute interview between Bryant Gumbel and either a network or local journalist who would explain what happened. Then they would break for commercials and then there would be an 11-minute interview with Jane Pauley and an expert who would put this in context and explain why it's an important story. Now the hosts have a two minute conversation where they laugh and giggle, get facts completely wrong and give the story absolutely no context. Then it's on to some fashion or cooking or whatever segment. It's frustrating.

  10. #890
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    29,689

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Switch to CBS. The new format isn’t as good as the previous but it’s still a more serious platform.

  11. #891
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,447

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    While true, my point in this case was how this demonstrates the way news broadcasting has fallen in recent years. The vitriol at Faux "News" is bad but this is network TV news with a much higher audience and everyone watching now thinks they have a handle on what this scandal is about and in reality they have no clue. In the old days, there would have been a seven-minute interview between Bryant Gumbel and either a network or local journalist who would explain what happened. Then they would break for commercials and then there would be an 11-minute interview with Jane Pauley and an expert who would put this in context and explain why it's an important story. Now the hosts have a two minute conversation where they laugh and giggle, get facts completely wrong and give the story absolutely no context. Then it's on to some fashion or cooking or whatever segment. It's frustrating.
    You and Hovey are both right.

    I've worked in healthcare for 30+ years, and at a high level. When my facility down-sized, I took-on coding too, as a streamlining measure, and still work as a clinician.

    Yes, there's a lot of waste, and there's a lot of superfluous billing for BS testing. it makes me sick to play that game, but that BS $ is what keeps my hospital afloat, because so many people are under-insured, and there's no way to recoup that without working Medicare.

    The individual-mandate was a great idea. Pay a little now, and reap the benefits later, when you wouldn't be able to do it otherwise.

    It's pretty-much the same as mandatory car insurance, and the Republican AH's never make that comparison. I've paid 40K or so in car insurance in my life, yet have never filed a claim. It's not 'fair', exactly, but it's a reality.

    JHC, we live in a "society" for a reason. ..Mutual benefits accrue to all, even if we never have to use them.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 08-01-2019 at 11:06 PM.

  12. #892
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    5,662

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    German kindergartens say they’ll remove pork from menus. Right wingers threaten to bomb the buildings

    https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...cenewsfacebook

  13. #893
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,053

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    German kindergartens say they’ll remove pork from menus. Right wingers threaten to bomb the buildings

    https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...cenewsfacebook
    Seems like a reasonable reaction.

  14. #894

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    24,053

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Both sides.

  15. #895
    Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A Headshrinker's Office
    Posts
    32,958

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    German kindergartens say they’ll remove pork from menus. Right wingers threaten to bomb the buildings

    https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...cenewsfacebook
    I know I'm going to get criticized for this, but whatever.

    Can I ask, why should these schools have to do this? Is it wrong or impossible for them to offer another protein option that would also cover the Muslim kids? Or is the concern that doing so would alienate them from the non-Muslim kids?

    I honestly can't think of another country in Europe with a bigger love affair with pork (maybe Austria or Poland). Eliminating it entirely from a public school because of one religious group seems like overkill.

    That said, the AfD and the Neo-Nazis can go to hell for threatening violence over it.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  16. #896
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,214

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I know I'm going to get criticized for this, but whatever.

    Can I ask, why should these schools have to do this? Is it wrong or impossible for them to offer another protein option that would also cover the Muslim kids? Or is the concern that doing so would alienate them from the non-Muslim kids?

    I honestly can't think of another country in Europe with a bigger love affair with pork (maybe Austria or Poland). Eliminating it entirely from a public school because of one religious group seems like overkill.

    That said, the AfD and the Neo-Nazis can go to hell for threatening violence over it.
    This.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  17. #897
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    29,689

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I know I'm going to get criticized for this, but whatever.

    Can I ask, why should these schools have to do this? Is it wrong or impossible for them to offer another protein option that would also cover the Muslim kids? Or is the concern that doing so would alienate them from the non-Muslim kids?

    I honestly can't think of another country in Europe with a bigger love affair with pork (maybe Austria or Poland). Eliminating it entirely from a public school because of one religious group seems like overkill.

    That said, the AfD and the Neo-Nazis can go to hell for threatening violence over it.
    100% agree.

    This seems like an unnecessary and silly move by the schools and an immeasurably poor response by the right wingers.

  18. #898
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    5,662
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    100% agree.

    This seems like an unnecessary and silly move by the schools and an immeasurably poor response by the right wingers.
    ITs really dumb. I’ve lived in Germany and it makes no sense. Also nazis gonna nazi

  19. #899

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    24,053

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    I had similar thoughts. I guess the follow up question should be: how do these schools handle peanut allergies? Are peanuts not allowed already?

  20. #900
    Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    30,564
    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    I had similar thoughts. I guess the follow up question should be: how do these schools handle peanut allergies? Are peanuts not allowed already?
    Allergies are different though. A child could die just by breathing in the dust if they're sensitive enough. Muslim children are not going to die because the kid next to them is eating sausage.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •