X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    "If you see something, say something." Better safe than sorry.
    Everyone should live in a coastal city for a week. You honestly have no idea how insane you sound? I'm not actually knocking you, here. I'm just shocked.

Your two anecdotes: I have seen roughly ten thousand incidents more strange. I have never called the cops on anybody.

Maybe it just comes down to whether you view police as a net add or loss in any situation.
    Last edited by Kepler; 07-10-2019, 04:35 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
      "If you see something, say something."
      You'd have made a great informal collaborator.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Everyone should live in a coastal city for a week. You honestly have no idea how insane you sound? I'm not actually knocking you, here. I'm just shocked.

Your two anecdotes: I have seen roughly ten thousand incidents more strange. I have never called the cops on anybody.

Maybe it just comes down to whether you view police as a net add or loss in any situation.
        Isn't that slogan displayed on highway signs up and down the East Coast?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The east coast 100% gave us that line. But I’m not sure that was his point.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            The east coast 100% gave us that line. But I’m not sure that was his point.
            My point was, under the circumstances, I would have called the cops, also. Both sides of the story match up, as to info/etc. The only difference is the white guy said the cops needed to be called, and the black guy said they didn't need to be called.

Given the info, I most certainly would have called the cops.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I meant Keller’s point
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                You'd have made a great informal collaborator.
                "This Jew here is trouble. Take him away. But leave that nice Jewish family, yes that family who keep denying they're Jewish, and lives in that house over there, they're good people they can stay.

Hey, why are you taking away that nice Jewish family along with this rapscallian Jew?"

-a distant relative of Brent's in occupied Poland 1938.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Isn't that slogan displayed on highway signs up and down the East Coast?
                  East coast highway signs read "If it bothers you, speed up. If it still bothers you, move."
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    "This Jew here is trouble. Take him away. But leave that nice Jewish family, yes that family who keep denying they're Jewish, and lives in that house over there, they're good people they can stay.

Hey, why are you taking away that nice Jewish family along with this rapscallian Jew?"

-a distant relative of Brent's in occupied Poland 1938.
                    10 points for rapscallion.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Strangely enough I don't find anything odd about either your or Rube's reaction. I don't think it comes down to your view of the police, necessarily, since I'm sure there are instances where you would definitely call them. I think it has to do more with the surroundings and your expectation as to what you might see in those surroundings.

In August of 2001 I was in NYC with my sister and brother-in-law. We exited the subway down near the World Trade Centers and as we came out onto the street we saw this man standing on the corner. At least 6'6" tall, 350 lbs, and hung like a horse. I know this because he was going full Donald Duck, wearing a t-shirt, tennis shoes and nothing else. He stood there staring out into space, mumbling rapidly to himself, and occasionally gesturing with his hands, all as 50 New Yorkers strode by him without a second glance.

For three tourists it was certainly a NYC w-t-f moment.

But we did exactly what the locals did, which is to say, nothing. We walked away with a "well, it's their town, their problem" notion in our head.

Now, if that had happened in any town in North Dakota where I grew up, or any town in Minnesota where I currently live (including the Twin Cities where Rube resides) the cops would have been called in a minute.

I think it just comes down to how strange is the event based upon what your expectations are for that location.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        In August of 2001 I was in NYC with my sister and brother-in-law. We exited the subway down near the World Trade Centers and as we came out onto the street we saw this man standing on the corner. At least 6'6" tall, 350 lbs, and hung like a horse. I know this because he was going full Donald Duck, wearing a t-shirt, tennis shoes and nothing else. He stood there staring out into space, mumbling rapidly to himself, and occasionally gesturing with his hands, all as 50 New Yorkers strode by him without a second glance.
                        So we've met!

I view the cops as a necessary evil that should only be appealed to when you can completely control their interaction with you. Sidle up to one on a street corner and ask directions? Sure. But in emotional / violent situations I will always think twice. Calling the cops not only means throwing people into the tender mercies of the state "justice" apparatus, it also means pouring gasoline on a fire. Not only will citizens react randomly to the cops showing up, the cops themselves are an unstable element. Maybe you get a good one but just as likely you get one who is a cop because every productive profession rejected him and/or he gets off having a badge and a gun. I don't need that sh-t anywhere near me when unpredictable things are happening. And I'm white and well scrubbed. If I were a POC I literally would not call them if I were being burglarized for fear of getting shot as the perp.

Why call Republicans to a scene they probably can't handle? Hire them as plumbers or auto mechanics. For law enforcement? No thank you.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Now, if that had happened in any town in North Dakota where I grew up, or any town in Minnesota where I currently live (including the Twin Cities where Rube resides) the cops would have been called in a minute.

I think it just comes down to how strange is the event based upon what your expectations are for that location.
                          Except the hung like a horse part could never happen in Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                            Except the hung like a horse part could never happen in Minnesota.
                            Well, it's cold. (I know. I was being charitable.)
                            Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Well, it's cold. (I know. I was being charitable.)
                              Shrinkage! Does she know about shrinkage?!?
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

This isnt about whether cops are valuable, this is about whether they are needed in that exact instance. Calling the cops in this situation is overkill. And it doesnt matter if you would do it Brent because you lived in a sketchy neighborhood because this guy wasnt living in a sketchy neighborhood and he wasnt doing it out of fear in any way. (which is why he has a d-bag grin on his face while he is doing it) He didnt like the look of the guy and he didnt like that the lesser person wouldnt answer his questions like a good little Plebe so he skipped about 20 steps and went right to the Police because that is what rich white d-bags in nice neighborhoods do now.

Again the 3 year old seems to understand why his dad is being a jerk...even gives you an "I told you so" when the friend showed up. And (at least on the video) the guy never really seems to apologize...instead he stays on the phone with the cops and whines about the language around his kid. If this was an honest mistake he hangs up the phone right away apologizes profusely and is ashamed.

There are dozens of ways to handle this situation, calling the cops is not option 1 in most of the cases. Since this guy didnt live in a condo in Compton I would say it certainly wasnt here.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X