Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    You wouldn't making the comment against generic X person. What I'm saying is the minority group gets to decide if it's offensive or not. That's the only standard that matters.
    When you say “minority group” that’s different than the individual. A reasonable person standard typically asks the question what would a similarly situated person do or think in the same instance, not what did you think or do.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Warroad HS Boys team beat the US Women's Ice Hockey team in their prep-games for the last winter Olyimpics.
    I’m not disagreeing with the testosterone comments here but I have a question. I think the warroad boys team is a good example- talented high school boys who can beat the most talented women in the world.
    A week or so ago on here we talked about the men who said they could take a game or whatever from Serena. A lot of men agreed that’s not too likely, or that they would win some based on unforced errors, faulting, etc.
    is Serena different because she’s such a beast and so strong, or do people think a male high school player could beat Serena? I’m honestly curious.

Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    I’m not disagreeing with the testosterone comments here but I have a question. I think the warroad boys team is a good example- talented high school boys who can beat the most talented women in the world.
    A week or so ago on here we talked about the men who said they could take a game or whatever from Serena. A lot of men agreed that’s not too likely, or that they would win some based on unforced errors, faulting, etc.
    is Serena different because she’s such a beast and so strong, or do people think a male high school player could beat Serena? I’m honestly curious.
    Team sports are a bit different. Also, said sport is different. The UTenn women regularly practiced against the UTenn Men JV/backup Squad (if that's the proper term) and beat them. One-on-one sport would vary.

And yes, part of it is Serena is a friggin' beast.

IIRC, Jennie Finch (ASU softball) baffled MLB players, one on one, just to hit a pitch of hers.

Edit: Yep. Finch vs Pujols: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm9iZnqGMvY
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

One friend played a dude in the WI HS state tournament, who later went on to beat Nadal in a major a couple years ago. So that guy probably could’ve. There are some higher end HS players who play year round and had tennis tutors since they were in diapers that maybe could or it’d be close at least. I would guess the top players in certain states could pull it off.
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 07-22-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    One friend played a dude in the WI HS state tournament, who later went on to beat Nadal in a major a couple years ago. So that guy probably could’ve. There are some higher end HS players who play year round and had tennis tutors since they were in diapers that maybe could or it’d be close at least. I would guess the top players in certain states could pull it off.
    I would say, in the sport of tennis, it'd be a lucky shot. Not a 1-In-A-Million, but lucky.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

The plural of anecdote is not data

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Who is this person? I played HS tennis in WI, know a fair bit about the scene, and the only one I know of who had near this success was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Smyczek.

And he never beat Nadal. He lost to Nadal in a close match as a huge underdog. It took him 8-9 years out of high school to get to his highest ATP ranking which was in the 60s.
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

There is a ton of variance in the sports in question. You can place men and women on fairly equal ground for sports where muscle control > muscle strength. Example would be shooting sports (Archery, rifle, etc.). The more physicality the sport contains, however, women fall further back.

Not to say that the top female athletes aren't better than a large portion of the male population. Serena is a great example where she is better than most men on the planet. But the odds quickly fall off when you move from amateurs to pros. Golf would be another example. Top female pro golfers can beat most amateurs out there fairly easily. But compared to male pro counterparts, they are hitting the ball 30-50 yards less and that is costing them 3-5 strokes per round easily on a course set up for the Men's tour.

Again, my stance is taken with the intent that it's applied to the best of the best athletes for a given sport. For Olympic sports, thats the top 1500-2000 or so out of the 7+ billion people on this planet. Also something to consider: Why is this issue always with a Male to Female athlete and not a Female to Male athlete? Among transgender individuals I would have to believe that the numbers between them are fairly equal. Yet it seems to only be a one-way street at the moment for athletes trying to make a path for themselves. Why is that?
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
    Who is this person? I played HS tennis in WI, know a fair bit about the scene, and the only one I know of who had near this success was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Smyczek.

And he never beat Nadal. He lost to Nadal in a close match as a huge underdog. It took him 8-9 years out of high school to get to his highest ATP ranking which was in the 60s.
    My bad, I thought he beat Nadal but he took him to 5 sets and lost. But yeah he's the guy.

Let me explain here. You don't get to decide whether something you said is homophobic or transphobic or whatever. It's on me (or another trans person you might be talking to) to determine that, and you don't have a say. EVER.

Or to put it another way: you don't get to decide if something you said hurt me or not.
    A person is responsible for their own happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    joe's got a point, Miss Thundercat. If he and his self-righteous mob are bigoted sh-ts to you that's your problem. You didn't have to consider your dignity important. You didn't have to feel worried about your physical safety in the presence of people who are vocally and violently opposed to your very essence.

joe in 1935: "The Jews really have only themselves to blame. Nobody made them be Jews, and besides, it's up to them whether politics makes them unhappy. I don't see how the Nazis are responsible at all if they feel anxiety."
    Last edited by Kepler; 07-23-2019 at 10:09 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    If only that were true, and if only you felt that when your oxe was being gored.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    joe's got a point, Miss Thundercat. If he and his self-righteous mob are bigoted sh-ts to you that's your problem. You didn't have to consider your dignity important. You didn't have to feel worried about your physical safety in the presence of people who are vocally and violently opposed to your very essence.

joe in 1935: "The Jews really have only themselves to blame. Nobody made them be Jews, and besides, it's up to them whether politics makes them unhappy. I don't see how the Nazis are responsible at all if they feel anxiety."
    Kepler, joe, I don't go out alone any more. There's always the chance something will happen, and I want someone with me in case it does. I'm faced with the reality of learning self-defense so I can fight back in case I am alone.

joe, I've listened to my aunt disown me. I listened to my ex-best friend say I was confused. I've listened to cis women at my job say I make them feel uncomfortable in the bathroom. I listened to my coworkers mock me for wearing a skirt. More than that. You're saying I'm not allowed to be hurt. That I'm not allowed to feel anything other than forced happiness. I ask my allies to listen, but you, a cisgender heterosexual, think you should have the final say on what's offensive and what's not. I'm telling you that's not the case.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

He can't hear you.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    He wont hear you.
    FTFY.

He is too busy listening to the words of Jesus. To be bad he isnt understanding the words or he would definitely sing a different tune. (he also wouldnt be right wing)
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Kepler, joe, I don't go out alone any more. There's always the chance something will happen, and I want someone with me in case it does. I'm faced with the reality of learning self-defense so I can fight back in case I am alone.

joe, I've listened to my aunt disown me. I listened to my ex-best friend say I was confused. I've listened to cis women at my job say I make them feel uncomfortable in the bathroom. I listened to my coworkers mock me for wearing a skirt. More than that. You're saying I'm not allowed to be hurt. That I'm not allowed to feel anything other than forced happiness. I ask my allies to listen, but you, a cisgender heterosexual, think you should have the final say on what's offensive and what's not. I'm telling you that's not the case.
    No - hurt <> !happiness. You can be miserable when people treat you like dirt, or you can be happy that you're you.

The point being, don't wallow in misery. You have a life to lead as Amber. Be her under your terms, not what others expect you/her to be.

About your detractors. They see you as XY and can't wrap there heads around trans. To them, it ain't natural. You were born XY and you should always be Male. Be understanding. They have no clue that while your genes are XY, your brain isn't and you are much happier as Amber.

If they come around, it will because you are their window into the trans world and are a regular human being, You don't froth at the mouth, don't invite 12 year old girls to a topless swim party and act as a regular women. You're "normal" and they'll think of you as a woman first not a trans.
    Last edited by joecct; 07-23-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    FTFY.

He is too busy listening to the words of Jesus. To be bad he isnt understanding the words or he would definitely sing a different tune. (he also wouldnt be right wing)
    It's so unfortunate that so many substitute Flag and Military Might for ideals and principals and/or substitute religious doctrine for philosophy. Same dynamic, I think, and both are usually seen in the same person.

joe, things happen. I was hurt when my aunt disowned me. I was hurt when my family pushed me off to the side while saying they supported me. I was hurt when my ex-best friend started saying a whole bunch of homophobic and transphobic things in my direction. I had to cut her out, and it hurt. It felt like I experienced death. It was loss and I experienced grief. It still hurts in some ways.

In today's society, all I'm saying and will keep saying is that cisgender heterosexual males don't get to decide if what they say or do is hurtful to me. Someone left bullet holes in the windows at Out On the Lakeshore and I had anxiety for a few days.

You know, I liken this to having mental illness (I have depression, etc). Right now, I'm hearing "but only if you would go outside and do yoga and drink green juice" from joe.
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka

Never Forget!

I can't vouch for the green juice, but I would recommend staying away from the yellow snow.

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    I can't vouch for the green juice, but I would recommend staying away from the yellow snow.
    That's obvious!
    ― Franz Kafka

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Do you also watch out for where the huskies go?
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Thread Information