This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

"I'm not a racist! I just have some legitimate concerns about all these terro- err, I mean Somalians moving in. Here, read this Breitbart article..."

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      What do you suggest? A poll?

"Excuse me, sir, are you racist?"

Huh...100% of respondents said they weren't racist. Guess that settles it.
      Something other than..."I heard this guy say this, so that means the majority are racist."
      Saying it has a "rep" is not enough.
      You guys made the claim...you prove it.
      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
        Something other than..."I heard this guy say this, so that means the majority are racist."
        I didn't make any claim. I asked a question.

What would you consider proof?

Comment

The whole place looks pretty blue to me:

Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

More than you saying. "I'd be willing to bet." as you did.
            Facts would be nice.
            A comedian I follow is fond of the phrase "fact me or **** off" when debating so that works for me.
            Personally I don't care if you prove it or not... you have your belief and it won't change.
            My issue the entire time is the generalization of a place you don't live in.
            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
            Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

The debate, as I've read it here, is that there are individuals in St. Cloud that are certainly racist, but does that mean that St. Cloud itself is a racist community.

For me, proof of the second proposition would require some sort of evidence of action or inaction on the part of the community of St. Cloud itself to treat the immigrants inappropriately.

The Twin Cities, for all of the pats on the back that they like to give themselves about how inclusive they are, have their own troubles. There was a report from a few years ago that demonstrated that the Twin Cities metro area was one of the most segregated in the nation, and that as a consequence minorities were being systematically disadvantaged in things like housing, jobs, etc... Furthermore, the segregation was as a direct result of policies implemented by the Metropolitan Council. Now, whether that was the Council's intent or not is subject to debate, but the effect is there. Personally I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they were simply making bad decisions.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                More than you saying. "I'd be willing to bet." as you did.
                Facts would be nice.
                A comedian I follow is fond of the phrase "fact me or **** off" when debating so that works for me.
                Personally I don't care if you prove it or not... you have your belief and it won't change.
                My issue the entire time is the generalization of a place you don't live in.
                You must have me confused with someone else. I haven't commented on this thread in a week until today.

But I do give you credit for admitting that your opinion won't change even if the facts prove it wrong.

Comment

Look at that, someone from St. Cloud who hates generalizations is generalizing posters not from St. Cloud who's username starts with the letter T.

Also, all I'm seeing when reading this thread is "Doth protest too much, methinks."
                  Last edited by aparch; 06-21-2019, 09:08 AM.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    The whole place looks pretty blue to me:
                    That may be the least informative map I've ever seen. Plenty of ways to be racist without using the n-word.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      That may be the least informative map I've ever seen. Plenty of ways to be racist without using the n-word.
                      I assumed Kep found it at https://***********/TerribleMaps/
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        Someone's a little testy over the Yoop showing red.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                          This could be one of the stupidest things ever typed. And Trump is on Twitter.
                          Not event close. I'm not Rabid Husky. He's my husband!
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Someone's a little testy over the Yoop showing red.
                            Actually, I could care less about that. In fact, I'd readily agree it's lily white and probably plenty racist, outside of the college campuses.

Comment

You must have me confused with someone else. I haven't commented on this thread in a week until today.

But I do give you credit for admitting that your opinion won't change even if the facts prove it wrong.
                              Yeah I confused you with trix...sorry.
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                                I lived in the St. Cloud for four years. I heard a lot of people say.
                                I had a black roommate, saw the difficulty he had getting a job - interviewed everywhere that was hiring. He was a dick, so it didn't surprise me much, but he wouldn't have acted that way during interviews.
                                I still have friends in Cloud, and go there regularly. I've known and seen enough of the people. MN may not be as openly racist as other parts of the nation, but St. Cloud has really been making that push since the Somali refugees have been settling there as part of the state's refugee program.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X