Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 720 of 1001

Thread: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

  1. #701
    Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    42,212

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    The guys who wrote The Bell Curve were genuinely curious, too. Was that a bad idea? Yeah, probably.

    "Objective research" along lines suggested by bigoted pre-conceptions, while theoretically well within the scientific method, is also generally speaking a bad idea. If nothing else untangling the public conception of both the research and the results is a public affairs nightmare, and designing experiments which are methodologically sound and don't run the risk of looking like Phrenology is 50 years also starts to look like a marginal return on the effort expended.

    There is nothing wrong with an idea, in principle. "Political conservatism is correlated with, and perhaps either explanatory of or a symptom indicating a lack of ethics or intelligence" is, indeed, a testable hypothesis. It may even be intuitively accurate. But I'm not sure that's the hill you want to die on.
    He is just saying it will interesting to see how the rules change to deal with the new normal. I agree...

    It isnt like he is saying trans people shouldnt compete...he is just wondering aloud how sports will deal with it as we learn more about various changes. Look at his questions again they arent even controversial.

    We on the Left need to turn the dial down a little bit. We are on high alert for anything that possibly seems offensive. We dont need to be at "11" all the time. Otherwise we are no better than people we are fighting to stop.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  2. #702
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,823

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    The sports stuff cracks me up. I constantly hear how inferior women are and that no one wants to watch their sports yet a bunch of dudes are yelling about trans ruining women’s sports
    I mean there's a lot of money in womens' sports!

  3. #703

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    69,566

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    We on the Left need to turn the dial down a little bit. We are on high alert for anything that possibly seems offensive. We dont need to be at "11" all the time. Otherwise we are no better than people we are fighting to stop.
    Thank you for cis-splaining what matters and how we should talk about it.

    Perhaps you'd like to white-splain about blacks later.

    In the interim your concern has been noted and logged.
    Last edited by Kepler; 07-22-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  4. #704
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Colo Spgs
    Posts
    3,915

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    It isnt like he is saying trans people shouldnt compete...he is just wondering aloud how sports will deal with it as we learn more about various changes. Look at his questions again they arent even controversial.
    Of all the things in the world to wonder aloud about, I wonder why this one keeps coming up...

  5. #705
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    74,628

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    If Handy is telling us to dial it back, I'm going to find 12 on the dial.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: No Heart

  6. #706
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,633
    Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    Of all the things in the world to wonder aloud about, I wonder why this one keeps coming up...
    Cause we're on a message board ostensibly about hockey? So items will naturally drift towards the sports angle?

  7. #707
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    30,186

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Thank you for cis-splaining what matters and how we should talk about it.

    Perhaps you'd like to white-splain about blacks later.

    In the interim your concern has been noted and logged.
    Ah yes. The people who arenít X canít have an opinion on X unless itís complete capitulation to those who are.

    The worst thing to happen to discourse in a long time.

  8. #708

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    69,566

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Ah yes. The people who aren’t X can’t have an opinion on X unless it’s complete capitulation to those who are.

    The worst thing to happen to discourse in a long time.
    No, NO, NO! You can debate these issues no matter who you are -- e.g., having a vagina doesn't make one omniscient on all womens issues. What you cannot do is dismiss a persecuted group's claims of an attack as unreal. That's not critical analysis, it's entitlement leaking out like creamy filling.

    Or, rather, you can, but it makes you an as-shole.

    A privileged person telling a victimized person to "quiet down" makes me reach for a rusty machete.

    This is why when black people have had enough they don't blame white racists they blame all white people. Because too many erstwhile liberal white allies still think they can say, "oh, but let's not ruffle feathers about every little imagined offense..." GFY. That is not for us to say.

    When it comes to what constitutes racism or sexism or homophobia, no, the privileged group does not get a vote. What we do with that, how we handle it, what policies we enact -- yes, then we all vote. But the reality of the slight is in the eye of the victim, period, full stop.

    We run the world. That's our consolation. We don't get to dictate what constitutes reality anymore. That's our "burden."
    Last edited by Kepler; 07-22-2019 at 02:02 PM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  9. #709
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,714

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    And I am not even saying where I think the lines should be, since I have no clue where they should be, hence my questions about the subject. There are so many variables going into what the regulations will end up being, it's crazy. And even after the first new set of regulations are made, there is most like going to be some sort of tweaking to them as things that weren't initially thought of occur.

    And Kep, I've already mentioned that I'm aware of the haters, and again, that is NOT where *I* am coming from. Please try to keep up. Thank you.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  10. #710

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    69,566

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    And Kep, I've already mentioned that I'm aware of the haters, and again, that is NOT where *I* am coming from. Please try to keep up. Thank you.
    I've lapped you. Go back and read my comment on that very thing.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  11. #711
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,714

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    No, NO, NO! You can debate these issues no matter who you are -- e.g., having a vagina doesn't make one omniscient on all womens issues. What you cannot do is dismiss a persecuted group's claims of an attack as unreal. That's not critical analysis, it's entitlement leaking out like creamy filling.

    Or, rather, you can, but it makes you an as-shole.

    A privileged person telling a victimized person to "quiet down" makes me reach for a rusty machete.

    This is why when black people have had enough they don't blame white racists they blame all white people. Because too many erstwhile liberal white allies still think they can say, "oh, but let's not ruffle feathers about every little imagined offense..." GFY. That is not for us to say.

    When it comes to what constitutes racism or sexism or homophobia, no, the privileged group does not get a vote. What we do with that, how we handle it, what policies we enact -- yes, then we all vote. But the reality of the slight is in the eye of the victim, period, full stop.

    We run the world. That's our consolation. We don't get to dictate what constitutes reality anymore. That's our "burden."
    Lapped me? Then why repeat something that isn't happening?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  12. #712

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    69,566

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Lapped me? Then why repeat something that isn't happening?
    That was a response to Handy.

    As you said, try to keep up.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  13. #713
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,729

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When it comes to what constitutes racism or sexism or homophobia, no, the privileged group does not get a vote. What we do with that, how we handle it, what policies we enact -- yes, then we all vote. But the reality of the slight is in the eye of the victim, period, full stop.
    I disagree with this. If you're going to make it that subjective, then everything, or nothing, is racist, sexist or homophobic.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  14. #714
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,714

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    That was a response to Handy.

    As you said, try to keep up.
    He's not doing it, either.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  15. #715
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,552

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I disagree with this. If you're going to make it that subjective, then everything, or nothing, is racist, sexist or homophobic.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM

  16. #716
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    42,944

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Just Listen to Teacher:

    On where it affects or doesn't affect me:

    Where it doesn't affect me are local races, such as the Jimmy's Cheese Shack 10K.

    However, I also compete in several races that check ID. For example, before surgery, I was slated to compete in the Michigan Titanium (Michigan's answer to Ironman.) The race director had lobbied USA Triathlon (the sport's governing body) to let me compete as a female, knowing that hormones had made me significantly weaker. I hadn't heard anything since March, so I am wagering her request was flat out denied. Also, for major races, such as the Chicago and New York marathons, they do check ID, and with an M still on my driver's license, I could not compete as a female.

    There is a trickle of events now letting trans people compete as their (preferred) gender. The Boston marathon now lets transgender athletes compete as their preferred gender, pending blood work and qualifying. So does the Western States 100 mile race, pending blood work and qualifying time. The US Olympic Committee lets transgender athletes compete, pending blood work. Their standard is <10 ng/dl testosterone for over a year. If I were an elite athlete, if I kept my current T level of 6 ng/dl testosterone into June 2020, the USOC would let me compete as a female.

    This is where we're going, or so I feel. More events will let trans athletes compete as preferred gender, pending blood work at least. As my endocrinologist told me, it doesn't really matter where the estrogen level is... what matters is the testosterone. If I were an event director, you are correct, I would not let anyone pre-HRT compete as their preferred gender. Same thing in high school. The age of consent for HRT in teenagers is 16. After a year, check blood work, and see where this person is.

    And Kepler is right: I have rules for allies:

    1. Listen to me.
    2. Let me speak for myself and back me up when necessary.
    3. If you screw up, such as with name and pronouns, quickly correct and move on.
    4. It's not all about you.
    5. Oh, you gave yourself a temporary Facebook profile picture celebrating Pride month. Have that same enthusiasm July 1.

    Truth is, I feel the lot of you aren't listening. I also feel you're saying I can't be angry over things that genuinely concern me. I also feel that when I go to speak up, you basically cut me off, or when I do speak, you gloss right over it. I find myself saying "f-cking cishets (cisgender heterosexual)" on a daily basis. Even here, I find myself saying "f-cking cishets." I also know the L, G, and B part of that alphabet don't care much for the T. Basically, I feel myself, along with my fellow trans people, are on our own.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    ďDon't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.Ē
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  17. #717
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,714

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Just Listen to Teacher:

    On where it affects or doesn't affect me:

    Where it doesn't affect me are local races, such as the Jimmy's Cheese Shack 10K.

    However, I also compete in several races that check ID. For example, before surgery, I was slated to compete in the Michigan Titanium (Michigan's answer to Ironman.) The race director had lobbied USA Triathlon (the sport's governing body) to let me compete as a female, knowing that hormones had made me significantly weaker. I hadn't heard anything since March, so I am wagering her request was flat out denied. Also, for major races, such as the Chicago and New York marathons, they do check ID, and with an M still on my driver's license, I could not compete as a female.

    There is a trickle of events now letting trans people compete as their (preferred) gender. The Boston marathon now lets transgender athletes compete as their preferred gender, pending blood work and qualifying. So does the Western States 100 mile race, pending blood work and qualifying time. The US Olympic Committee lets transgender athletes compete, pending blood work. Their standard is <10 ng/dl testosterone for over a year. If I were an elite athlete, if I kept my current T level of 6 ng/dl testosterone into June 2020, the USOC would let me compete as a female.

    This is where we're going, or so I feel. More events will let trans athletes compete as preferred gender, pending blood work at least. As my endocrinologist told me, it doesn't really matter where the estrogen level is... what matters is the testosterone. If I were an event director, you are correct, I would not let anyone pre-HRT compete as their preferred gender. Same thing in high school. The age of consent for HRT in teenagers is 16. After a year, check blood work, and see where this person is.


    And Kepler is right: I have rules for allies:

    1. Listen to me.
    2. Let me speak for myself and back me up when necessary.
    3. If you screw up, such as with name and pronouns, quickly correct and move on.
    4. It's not all about you.
    5. Oh, you gave yourself a temporary Facebook profile picture celebrating Pride month. Have that same enthusiasm July 1.

    Truth is, I feel the lot of you aren't listening. I also feel you're saying I can't be angry over things that genuinely concern me. I also feel that when I go to speak up, you basically cut me off, or when I do speak, you gloss right over it. I find myself saying "f-cking cishets (cisgender heterosexual)" on a daily basis. Even here, I find myself saying "f-cking cishets." I also know the L, G, and B part of that alphabet don't care much for the T. Basically, I feel myself, along with my fellow trans people, are on our own.
    Thank you for the detailed input. This is a big part of what I am wondering about in the future.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  18. #718

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    69,566

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I disagree with this. If you're going to make it that subjective, then everything, or nothing, is racist, sexist or homophobic.
    You're relying on one of two logical fallacies, I'm not sure which one, maybe both. Also I don't remember their fancy Latin names but hopefully somebody will.

    1. To the degree that something is subjective it isn't real.

    This could be called the "Logical Positivist Fallacy" or, better, the "Vienna Circle Jerk." It comes from logicians who said because metaphysical claims cannot be represented as valid syntax in their logic therefore metaphysical claims are not valid. Obviously what they missed is that it just meant their logical system wasn't all-embracing of reality and there are domains which are both real and also not valid within their syntax. That one's easy and basically every engineer educated in the last 75 years is guilty of it so no shame there.

    2. If you can't find a precise value then it could be any value.

    This could be called the Reification of Precision Fallacy. Fetus Fondlers use it all the time. "If you can't tell me exactly when life begins then it must always be life 1 millisecond before any time you pick, therefore it is always life." This is the same fallacy that lies behind some of Zeno's paradoxes.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  19. #719
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,729

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    You're relying on one of two logical fallacies, I'm not sure which one, maybe both. Also I don't remember their fancy Latin names but hopefully somebody will.

    1. To the degree that something is subjective it isn't real.

    This could be called the "Logical Positivist Fallacy" or, better, the "Vienna Circle Jerk." It comes from logicians who said because metaphysical claims cannot be represented as valid syntax in their logic therefore metaphysical claims are not valid. Obviously what they missed is that it just meant their logical system wasn't all-embracing of reality and there are domains which are both real and also not valid within their syntax. That one's easy and basically every engineer educated in the last 75 years is guilty of it so no shame there.

    2. If you can't find a precise value then it could be any value.

    This could be called the Reification of Precision Fallacy. Fetus Fondlers use it all the time. "If you can't tell me exactly when life begins then it must always be life 1 millisecond before any time you pick, therefore it is always life." This is the same fallacy that lies behind some of Zeno's paradoxes.
    Let's say I walk up to a couple and offer to shake hands with the man before the woman. Let's say that 50 out of 100 women consider that act sexist on my part, because I introduced myself to the man first, while 50 out of a hundred didn't even notice the order or consider it. Does that make my act sexist?

    To follow your logic, it's sexist 50% of the time because those women perceived and defined it as such, while it's not sexist the other 50% of the time?
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  20. #720

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    69,566

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Let's say I walk up to a couple and offer to shake hands with the man before the woman. Let's say that 50 out of 100 women consider that act sexist on my part, because I introduced myself to the man first, while 50 out of a hundred didn't even notice the order or consider it. Does that make my act sexist?

    To follow your logic, it's sexist 50% of the time because those women perceived and defined it as such, while it's not sexist the other 50% of the time?
    No. My logic is the hundred women get together and hash out what they think while the hundred men go drink and watch the game.

    Now, see, that's sexist.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •