Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 600 of 1001

Thread: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

  1. #581
    Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    41,658

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here


    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  2. #582
    Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    41,658

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here




    Racism is dead though...I know cause the Supreme Court told me so!
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  3. #583
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,185

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    If I lived in a not so great neighborhood, and someone "caught the door" I'd confront them, also. The entry phone/etc is there for a reason. I don't care what color they are.

    We'll see how this all pans out, but I think it's an overreaction at this point, by the people who want to metaphorically torch the caller.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  4. #584
    Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    41,658

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    If I lived in a not so great neighborhood, and someone "caught the door" I'd confront them, also. The entry phone/etc is there for a reason. I don't care what color they are.

    We'll see how this all pans out, but I think it's an overreaction at this point, by the people who want to metaphorically torch the caller.
    Oh please zero percent chance the caller calls the cops on a White Person...and you know it. He is a spoiled nuevo riche d-bag who doesnt want the dirties inside his building. He didnt have to call the cops to solve the problem he could have just waited with the guy. (plus it hardly looks like a bad neighborhood)

    When your 3 year old kid has more sense than you then you need to take a step back and rethink things.

    If he really thought this was as bad as he let on he wouldnt have stood in the doorway with the guy, with his kid, and discussed it. He would have gone back inside, got his kid to safety and called the cops. He knew there was no danger yet called the cops because...why exactly?
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  5. #585
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,185

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Oh please zero percent chance the caller calls the cops on a White Person...and you know it. He is a spoiled nuevo riche d-bag who doesnt want the dirties inside his building. He didnt have to call the cops to solve the problem he could have just waited with the guy. (plus it hardly looks like a bad neighborhood)

    When your 3 year old kid has more sense than you then you need to take a step back and rethink things.

    If he really thought this was as bad as he let on he wouldnt have stood in the doorway with the guy, with his kid, and discussed it. He would have gone back inside, got his kid to safety and called the cops. He knew there was no danger yet called the cops because...why exactly?
    I've called the cops on a couple white people acting (what I thought was) erratically. I've lived here 12 years, made those two calls only. One person just ended a workout, and was sitting in the snow in 30 degree weather, only in shorts and shoes (wellness check). The other were to 20 somethings arguing, and said stuff like "I'll pop you" and "You don't think I'd come and hit you back?" (possible slang for gunfire in this day and age).

    The first call was safe. The second? Yeah, they there charged with domestics charges. And again, this is in a NICE neighborhood. If it wasn't, and I had that guy's history? I might have made more calls. "If you see something, say something." Better safe than sorry.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  6. #586

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    68,275

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    "If you see something, say something." Better safe than sorry.
    Everyone should live in a coastal city for a week. You honestly have no idea how insane you sound? I'm not actually knocking you, here. I'm just shocked.

    Your two anecdotes: I have seen roughly ten thousand incidents more strange. I have never called the cops on anybody.

    Maybe it just comes down to whether you view police as a net add or loss in any situation.
    Last edited by Kepler; 07-10-2019 at 04:35 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  7. #587
    Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A Headshrinker's Office
    Posts
    32,945

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    "If you see something, say something."
    You'd have made a great informal collaborator.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  8. #588

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Everyone should live in a coastal city for a week. You honestly have no idea how insane you sound? I'm not actually knocking you, here. I'm just shocked.

    Your two anecdotes: I have seen roughly ten thousand incidents more strange. I have never called the cops on anybody.

    Maybe it just comes down to whether you view police as a net add or loss in any situation.
    Isn't that slogan displayed on highway signs up and down the East Coast?

  9. #589
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    29,677

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    The east coast 100% gave us that line. But Iím not sure that was his point.

  10. #590
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,185

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    The east coast 100% gave us that line. But Iím not sure that was his point.
    My point was, under the circumstances, I would have called the cops, also. Both sides of the story match up, as to info/etc. The only difference is the white guy said the cops needed to be called, and the black guy said they didn't need to be called.

    Given the info, I most certainly would have called the cops.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  11. #591
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    29,677

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    I meant Kellerís point

  12. #592

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    24,034
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    You'd have made a great informal collaborator.
    "This Jew here is trouble. Take him away. But leave that nice Jewish family, yes that family who keep denying they're Jewish, and lives in that house over there, they're good people they can stay.

    Hey, why are you taking away that nice Jewish family along with this rapscallian Jew?"

    -a distant relative of Brent's in occupied Poland 1938.

  13. #593

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    68,275

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Isn't that slogan displayed on highway signs up and down the East Coast?
    East coast highway signs read "If it bothers you, speed up. If it still bothers you, move."
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  14. #594

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    68,275

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    "This Jew here is trouble. Take him away. But leave that nice Jewish family, yes that family who keep denying they're Jewish, and lives in that house over there, they're good people they can stay.

    Hey, why are you taking away that nice Jewish family along with this rapscallian Jew?"

    -a distant relative of Brent's in occupied Poland 1938.
    10 points for rapscallion.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  15. #595
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,632

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Everyone should live in a coastal city for a week. You honestly have no idea how insane you sound? I'm not actually knocking you, here. I'm just shocked.

    Your two anecdotes: I have seen roughly ten thousand incidents more strange. I have never called the cops on anybody.

    Maybe it just comes down to whether you view police as a net add or loss in any situation.
    Strangely enough I don't find anything odd about either your or Rube's reaction. I don't think it comes down to your view of the police, necessarily, since I'm sure there are instances where you would definitely call them. I think it has to do more with the surroundings and your expectation as to what you might see in those surroundings.

    In August of 2001 I was in NYC with my sister and brother-in-law. We exited the subway down near the World Trade Centers and as we came out onto the street we saw this man standing on the corner. At least 6'6" tall, 350 lbs, and hung like a horse. I know this because he was going full Donald Duck, wearing a t-shirt, tennis shoes and nothing else. He stood there staring out into space, mumbling rapidly to himself, and occasionally gesturing with his hands, all as 50 New Yorkers strode by him without a second glance.

    For three tourists it was certainly a NYC w-t-f moment.

    But we did exactly what the locals did, which is to say, nothing. We walked away with a "well, it's their town, their problem" notion in our head.

    Now, if that had happened in any town in North Dakota where I grew up, or any town in Minnesota where I currently live (including the Twin Cities where Rube resides) the cops would have been called in a minute.

    I think it just comes down to how strange is the event based upon what your expectations are for that location.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  16. #596

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    68,275

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    In August of 2001 I was in NYC with my sister and brother-in-law. We exited the subway down near the World Trade Centers and as we came out onto the street we saw this man standing on the corner. At least 6'6" tall, 350 lbs, and hung like a horse. I know this because he was going full Donald Duck, wearing a t-shirt, tennis shoes and nothing else. He stood there staring out into space, mumbling rapidly to himself, and occasionally gesturing with his hands, all as 50 New Yorkers strode by him without a second glance.
    So we've met!

    I view the cops as a necessary evil that should only be appealed to when you can completely control their interaction with you. Sidle up to one on a street corner and ask directions? Sure. But in emotional / violent situations I will always think twice. Calling the cops not only means throwing people into the tender mercies of the state "justice" apparatus, it also means pouring gasoline on a fire. Not only will citizens react randomly to the cops showing up, the cops themselves are an unstable element. Maybe you get a good one but just as likely you get one who is a cop because every productive profession rejected him and/or he gets off having a badge and a gun. I don't need that sh-t anywhere near me when unpredictable things are happening. And I'm white and well scrubbed. If I were a POC I literally would not call them if I were being burglarized for fear of getting shot as the perp.

    Why call Republicans to a scene they probably can't handle? Hire them as plumbers or auto mechanics. For law enforcement? No thank you.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  17. #597
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,918

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post


    Now, if that had happened in any town in North Dakota where I grew up, or any town in Minnesota where I currently live (including the Twin Cities where Rube resides) the cops would have been called in a minute.

    I think it just comes down to how strange is the event based upon what your expectations are for that location.
    Except the hung like a horse part could never happen in Minnesota.

  18. #598

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    68,275

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Except the hung like a horse part could never happen in Minnesota.
    Well, it's cold. (I know. I was being charitable.)
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  19. #599
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Well, it's cold. (I know. I was being charitable.)
    Shrinkage! Does she know about shrinkage?!?

  20. #600
    Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    41,658

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    This isnt about whether cops are valuable, this is about whether they are needed in that exact instance. Calling the cops in this situation is overkill. And it doesnt matter if you would do it Brent because you lived in a sketchy neighborhood because this guy wasnt living in a sketchy neighborhood and he wasnt doing it out of fear in any way. (which is why he has a d-bag grin on his face while he is doing it) He didnt like the look of the guy and he didnt like that the lesser person wouldnt answer his questions like a good little Plebe so he skipped about 20 steps and went right to the Police because that is what rich white d-bags in nice neighborhoods do now.

    Again the 3 year old seems to understand why his dad is being a jerk...even gives you an "I told you so" when the friend showed up. And (at least on the video) the guy never really seems to apologize...instead he stays on the phone with the cops and whines about the language around his kid. If this was an honest mistake he hangs up the phone right away apologizes profusely and is ashamed.

    There are dozens of ways to handle this situation, calling the cops is not option 1 in most of the cases. Since this guy didnt live in a condo in Compton I would say it certainly wasnt here.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •