Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 494

Thread: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

  1. #41
    Technologieberater FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    31,439

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    What if a minority assaults me because I am white and that person hates white people (whites have given a lot of reasons over the years, no denying that)? Or go back to my Greek Orthodox Church arson question and insert any race/ethnicity/etc?

    For me, it's just...I dunno...too murky of where the line should be drawn.
    Nope, at least not as I'm reading it.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  2. #42
    Technologieberater FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    31,439

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Civil judgments awarded by a finder of fact are already reviewed on appeal under a standard of review that is well set out in law.

    But go ahead and keep trying to argue with the lawyers on the board that you've found Pandora's box.
    Ouch...done.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  3. #43
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    30,986

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Read back to the original post on this discussion.
    Why? He answered the question you posed in the quote he referenced. That would be a hate crime.

    Hate crime legislation presupposes if you target a victim because of their race, religion or sexual orientation (among others?) it massively increases your potential victim pool and suggests you're likely to act upon that hate again. Random crimes often do not. Someone acting criminally based upon this kind of hate is a bigger potential threat to society than someone randomly getting in a bar room brawl.

    And has already been noted Brent all kinds of crimes have severity levels attached to them - why is this any different or less valid? Please don't respond with platitudes. Actually think before you respond.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    64,343

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    It's just not fair.
    Shorter Rube: "I'm not sure you people fully recognize how not having been the victim of systemic racism disadvantages white people!"
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  5. #45
    Technologieberater FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    31,439

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Shorter Rube: "I'm not sure you people fully recognize how not having been the victim of systemic racism disadvantages white people!"
    Oof.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  6. #46
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,589

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    A LOT of crime is because the criminal hates some difference between him/her and the victim. Hell's Angels hate the Mongols, Bloods hate Crips, one race hates another, one religion hates another, whatever. It's all hate to begin with. That's my whole point.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  7. #47
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    30,986

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    It's a terrible and irrelevant point.

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    64,343

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    A LOT of crime is because the criminal hates some difference between him/her and the victim. Hell's Angels hate the Mongols, Bloods hate Crips, one race hates another, one religion hates another, whatever. It's all hate to begin with. That's my whole point.
    Your point is fine as far as it goes but it doesn't mean much if anything when evaluating the purpose of "hate crimes." Stop getting hung up on the word "hate." Think of it in terms of terrorism.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,493

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    A LOT of crime is because the criminal hates some difference between him/her and the victim. Hell's Angels hate the Mongols, Bloods hate Crips, one race hates another, one religion hates another, whatever. It's all hate to begin with. That's my whole point.
    People are routinely treated differently by the law without issue; why should special laws apply if one is treated differently because of the color of her skin?

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    48,064

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here


  11. #51

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    64,343

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/newswars/

    NewsWars is a news and opinion website by Infowars publisher and far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, where he claims to be bringing “truth back to the media.” He’s infamously made false claims concerning the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre, and federal investigators said he inspired a gunman to open fire inside a Washington, D.C., pizzeria last year by touting unfounded allegations on his shows and websites about its supposed ties to former Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton and human trafficking.

    In review, the website is laid out to look similar to the New York Times, which both Alex Jones and Donald Trump claim is a fake news source. All news articles are curated from other sources including Jones’ own Infowars. Some common sources used are Russian propaganda news site RT, Alt-right Breitbart and other conspiracy websites such as Zero Hedge. The reason why this site is not placed in our Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category is due to having more political news than conspiracy information. Though there is plenty of conspiracy as Jones shares numerous stories from Infowars and provides a link to listen to his radio show live on the website. This website is also different in that the majority of news is real. The reason for the Questionable classification is that all stories favor the right, indicating extreme bias, there are unproven conspiracies published and Jones’ longtime reputation as a purveyor of fake news stories.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  12. #52
    Technologieberater FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    31,439

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    NewsWars? Really? You'd think he'd at least try to hide the fact that it's the same bullsh*t.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  13. #53
    War Mongering Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    40,300

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here


    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,107

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Your point is fine as far as it goes but it doesn't mean much if anything when evaluating the purpose of "hate crimes." Stop getting hung up on the word "hate." Think of it in terms of terrorism.
    He's just regurgitating what he heard in that south park episode where Cartman commits a hate crime.

  15. #55
    Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    30,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post

    They didn't mean to offend anyone though...

    I can't imagine being able to foresee people being offended by saying "Hello Monkey" to a guy in a black mask. Seems completely innocent to me.

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    4,580

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    11 year old girl raped, Argentinian gov refused to allow abortion, had to have a c section.
    Mike Pence is taking notes.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...ed-give-birth/

  17. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    48,064

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quick refresher... how do you use the three seashells? https://www.infowars.com/now-they-wa...he-bitter-end/

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,327

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Hate crime legislation presupposes if you target a victim because of their race, religion or sexual orientation (among others?) it massively increases your potential victim pool and suggests you're likely to act upon that hate again. Random crimes often do not. Someone acting criminally based upon this kind of hate is a bigger potential threat to society than someone randomly getting in a bar room brawl.
    I'll have to see a link supporting this premise. This doesn't make sense to me.

    Hate crime legislation is primarily passed for the purpose of society sending a message that committing an act that is already a criminal act under our laws, but committing it against someone specifically because of their race or religion, etc..., is especially horrific and should be particularly singled out as heinous under our laws. It certainly isn't passed because of any sort of "increase" in the potential victim pool. To the contrary these laws by their very definition take an existing criminal law and limit its application to offenses against a subset of our society. Anyone can be an assault victim. Only a limited few can be a victim of assault based upon race.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  19. #59
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    28,227

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    IOnly a limited few can be a victim of assault based upon race.
    Incorrect.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,327

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Incorrect.
    How so? It's true that a member of every race is potentially the victim of a hate crime based upon race. However, I'm not sure that practically speaking you can demonstrate a hate crime committed against a person of the same race as the actor. So, as a caucasian I theoretically could commit a hate crime based upon race against a person of every race except for a caucasian, thus limiting the grouping.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •