Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 495

Thread: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

  1. #21
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,608

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Your opinion is different from the way that Her Heinous the Queen of Mean wanted people to react to her hot take.
    I don't doubt it. She...well...let's just say I wouldn't say hello to her in hell.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,495

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    In a way...she is right.

    An assault is an assault. Doesn't matter the reason, it's an assault. Burn down a building? That is arson. Shouldn't matter the reason behind the crime, it's still arson. Where do you draw the line? People who hate cops who then assault a cop? People who burn down a Greek Orthodox church because they hate Greeks? People burn down a fashion designer's HQ because they hate skinny models (body shaming, in essence)?

    Crimes are done because of some sort of hate within. To add to the sentence, if found guilty, because of some categorizing of said hate is quite silly to me.
    I get your point, rube, but the law of crimes does not really work that way, whether we're talking about hate crime laws or not. Unlawful killings are crimes, even without an intent to kill. In felony murder, a person may cause the death of another purely by accident during the commission of a felony, but that person will still by charged with a class of murder. First degree murder, otoh, carries a more severe sentence and requires "malice aforethought."

    A statutory rape conviction my carry a very severe sentence, yet no intent to harm is required. They may be two people deeply in love, but the law is there to protect minors and punish according to age, not wrongful intent (though that may be present and add to the list of chargeable offenses).

    There are different classifications of theft in many jurisdictions which depend on whether the victim is a member of a vulnerable class, such as the elderly, and the perp is someone in a position to take advantage.

    One interesting thing about hate crimes is that they have caused disagreements and division within groups. Many liberals are torn between the desire to protect historically vulnerable groups on one hand and the need to protect free speech on the other, so they do not all agree on the value of hate crime laws. It can drive some very thoughtful discussion.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    64,400

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    No shock there. They'll get away with it. Banks in '08, pharma in '19.
    Defeatism is part of the problem. I know it's your style, but please reconsider it. You are helping them when you throw up your hands and say we can't fight them.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  4. #24
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    72,759

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Defeatism is part of the problem. I know it's your style, but please reconsider it. You are helping them when you throw up your hands and say we can't fight them.
    I live in a cesspool of a country. No denying that.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: No Heart

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    64,400

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    In a way...she is right.

    An assault is an assault. Doesn't matter the reason, it's an assault. Burn down a building? That is arson. Shouldn't matter the reason behind the crime, it's still arson. Where do you draw the line? People who hate cops who then assault a cop? People who burn down a Greek Orthodox church because they hate Greeks? People burn down a fashion designer's HQ because they hate skinny models (body shaming, in essence)?

    Crimes are done because of some sort of hate within. To add to the sentence, if found guilty, because of some categorizing of said hate is quite silly to me.
    No. A hate crime recognizes that certain actions target more than the immediate victim. I'm gonna take a wild as-s guess here and assume you are white. If I hang you from a tree I'm hanging you. If I hang a black man from a tree I am hanging all black people, because of the history of lynchings.

    Hate crimes are terrorism. A murder is not in itself a terrorist act, but a murder done in the style of and with the cognizance of a history of terrorism is terrorism.

    I really can't make it any simpler than that.

    If I had written the law I would not have called it a "hate crime." I would have called it domestic terrorism.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    64,400

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I live in a cesspool of a country. No denying that.
    Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

    Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

    Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

    Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

    Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

    Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

    Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

    Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

    -- Max Ehrmann
    Last edited by Kepler; 02-22-2019 at 08:32 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  7. #27
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    72,759

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    So, you're telling me God wants the ticks and cockroaches to win?


    Climate Change Enters Its Blood-Sucking Phase

    As winters grow warmer in North America, thirsty ticks are on the move.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...-moose/583189/

    Sure, makes sense.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: No Heart

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South Shore
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    So, you're telling me God wants the ticks and cockroaches to win?




    https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...-moose/583189/

    Sure, makes sense.
    Ghost moose. Nat Geo had a vid on this almost 11 years ago. Can imagine it's only gotten worse for those poor animals.
    A bad cause requires many words.

  9. #29
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    28,250

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    No. A hate crime recognizes that certain actions target more than the immediate victim. I'm gonna take a wild as-s guess here and assume you are white. If I hang you from a tree I'm hanging you. If I hang a black man from a tree I am hanging all black people, because of the history of lynchings.

    Hate crimes are terrorism. A murder is not in itself a terrorist act, but a murder done in the style of and with the cognizance of a history of terrorism is terrorism.

    I really can't make it any simpler than that.

    If I had written the law I would not have called it a "hate crime." I would have called it domestic terrorism.
    Thatís really well put. Without hate crimes we canít have people charged with terrorism. We only have murder or attempted murder. I used to think like Brent on this topic (and Iíll be honest, I still go back and forth on it sometimes) but someone on here convinced me otherwise. We punish motive all the time. We add aggravating criteria based on age for all sorts of crimes: sexual assault, fraud, etc. We add aggravating criteria for things like assaulting a cop or federal official.

  10. #30
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,608

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    What if a minority assaults me because I am white and that person hates white people (whites have given a lot of reasons over the years, no denying that)? Or go back to my Greek Orthodox Church arson question and insert any race/ethnicity/etc?

    For me, it's just...I dunno...too murky of where the line should be drawn.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  11. #31
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    72,759

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    What if a minority assaults me because I am white and that person hates white people (whites have given a lot of reasons over the years, no denying that)? Or go back to my Greek Orthodox Church arson question and insert any race/ethnicity/etc?

    For me, it's just...I dunno...too murky of where the line should be drawn.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/27/us/pi...ter/index.html

    Pretty easy to figure out actually.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: No Heart

  12. #32
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    28,250

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    What if a minority assaults me because I am white and that person hates white people (whites have given a lot of reasons over the years, no denying that)? Or go back to my Greek Orthodox Church arson question and insert any race/ethnicity/etc?

    For me, it's just...I dunno...too murky of where the line should be drawn.
    Is this a real question? What do you think will happen?

  13. #33
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,608

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Is this a real question? What do you think will happen?
    What SHOULD happen is the crime itself, and not its motives, should be the charge, because as I said earlier, to commit those sorts of crimes, there is already "hate" in doing the deed itself.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  14. #34
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    28,250

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Thatís not what I asked. What do you think would happen?

    Or better yet, what do you think weíre going to say? That because youíre white you canít be the victim of a hate crime?

  15. #35
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    72,759

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    That because youíre white you canít be the victim of a hate crime?
    It's just not fair.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: No Heart

  16. #36
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,608

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Thatís not what I asked. What do you think would happen?

    Or better yet, what do you think weíre going to say? That because youíre white you canít be the victim of a hate crime?
    I would hope hate crime charges wouldn't be part of it. I don't know what would happen. I don't know what you're going to say, because you haven't said it yet.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  17. #37
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    28,250

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    You asked a clearly rhetorical question ďWhat would happen if a minority assaults me because Iím white?Ē

    Either you really donít know, which I suppose is valid but seems kind of ridiculous; or youíre asking a leading question because you already have an idea of what you think weíre going to say.

  18. #38
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    72,759

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    I would hope hate crime charges wouldn't be part of it. I don't know what would happen. I don't know what you're going to say, because you haven't said it yet.
    I used to think the exact way you do on this topic. It didn't take me very long to figure out I was wrong.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: No Heart

  19. #39
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,375
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    What if a minority assaults me because I am white and that person hates white people (whites have given a lot of reasons over the years, no denying that)? Or go back to my Greek Orthodox Church arson question and insert any race/ethnicity/etc?

    For me, it's just...I dunno...too murky of where the line should be drawn.
    That's also a hate crime, numb nuts.

  20. #40
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,608

    Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    That's also a hate crime, numb nuts.
    Read back to the original post on this discussion. Classy name-calling, though.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •