Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

Black Bear since D-2

Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    ...or you give them an infectious disease to which they have no immunity and take those that don't die and put them on a reservation.

Or assimilate.

Either one.
    Well, there's that...

But I wasn't referencing Lord Amherst here. Europeans were not legal immigrants here, they were lawless invaders, and some of them practitioners of genocide. That's clear, but thanks!

Today, a stranger in a strange land needs to employ respect toward his hosts, and embrace what exists there to the greatest extent possible. It worked for me. i loved living in both countries, and I remembered that I was a guest at all times...

Then, I began to feel at home. People everywhere appreciate one's interest in their culture, and one's respect for their turf. That's just the human condition.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 08-04-2019 at 11:51 PM.

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Play a martial march.
    Stuttgart didn't seem to have this problem. With decades of Brits and Americans coming to sell auto parts to Mercedes, Porsche, and (1998-2007) DamnNear-Chrysler, that city seems to have somewhat learned its lesson. But I was only there one day/night, so IDK. *shrug*
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Kings affiliate

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Yeah, it's "bullying" for a minority group to march and celebrate the equal rights you and I have enjoyed for years, but that they were denied, harassed, shunned, imprisoned, and in some cases tortured to death over, for eons.

Watching you flail and twist on this issue would be hilarious if it weren't so pathetic and sad.
    Last I checked, this is 2019, and same-sex marriage is legal, so what's the buzz, already? Gay people are not persecuted at this time, thankfully.

I've always been in favor of anyone marrying anyone. Marriage is a generally bad move, but I'm OK with anyone tying a rope around his/her neck, if that's how they want to live.

You certainly "flail" on this one, but clearly you have anger-issues that aren't even related to this topic.

You just appear to have misdirected anger. Seen a lot of that via the "Cafe"... Lots of angry people who don't want to discuss, but are just as hateful and as intolerant as Trumpies.

You do understand that hate is hate, I hope.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 08-08-2019 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Last I checked, this is 2019, and same-sex marriage is legal, so what's the buzz, already? Gay people are not persecuted at this time, thankfully.

I've always been in favor of anyone marrying anyone. Marriage is a generally bad move, but I'm OK with anyone tying a rope around his/her neck, if that's how they want to live.

You certainly "flail" on this one, but clearly you have anger-issues that aren't even related to this topic.

You just appear to have misdirected anger. Seen a lot of that via the "Cafe"... Lots of angry people who don't want to discuss, but are just as hateful and as intolerant as Trumpies.

You do understand that hate is hate, I hope.
    Wait, what?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Hey this board could use a good gimmick account : popcorn:

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Like they're not a dime a dozen already.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Internet Nutcase

I agree.

I've lived 4 years in Germany and 5 years in Japan, and I never had the presumption to expect my host countries to cater to my expectations. I ate what they ate, and did my best to assimilate however possible. It never entered my mind to foist my culture on my hosts.

That's how you immigrate successfully. You defer, and adjust.
    I'm sure some cultures are more resistant to incorporating immigrant culture into their own, but I think it's a bit different for Immigrants coming to America. We've advertised ourselves as a melting pot. We don't expect immigrants to give up their cultural identity, we absorb parts of it. Our regional foods are often the result of significant waves of immigration. Pretty much every major city has a "Chinatown", "Little Italy", etc.

Internet Nutcase

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Wait, what?
    I guess Fishman'81 also thinks racism ended with desegregation too

I agree.

I've lived 4 years in Germany and 5 years in Japan, and I never had the presumption to expect my host countries to cater to my expectations. I ate what they ate, and did my best to assimilate however possible. It never entered my mind to foist my culture on my hosts.

That's how you immigrate successfully. You defer, and adjust.
    Defer to what? Adjust to what? What is "American culture"?

America is different precisely because we are the whole world. America is amazing and refreshing because it is NOT an Ethno-state like Germany or Japan. American culture is always exactly what its residents say it is, by definition.

America is every culture on the planet. Every language, every ethnicity, every type of food and music. We are the Earth in microcosm, held together by the ideals of the Declaration of Independence and the legal structure of the Constitution.

America is constantly under construction. In the 1800s it was Fat Britain with a side of Kraut, in the 1900s it was Whitey World, in the 2000s it is becoming LatinoLand, and in the 2100s it will presumably end up as Southeast Asia with Less Humidity* because have you looked at the Earth's demographics?

Meanwhile we're all busy f-cking each other and creating super good looking miscegenation babies!

America is Humanity. Our culture is whatever you bring from wherever you came and whatever you create new once you get here.

* And Latinos will be screaming "we must stop the Yellow Horde!" because America is always, "I'm here; now history ends!!!"
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-09-2019 at 09:04 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Generic Catchy Message
    Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Good being the keyword. A self proclaimed left-leaner who does nothing but post right wing Boomer Facebook opinions isn’t a good account.

At least Flag’s conspiracy side was sorta interesting until he went full racist.

Another budding Republican.

His daddy is an important Republican strategist who just went to the clink for corruption.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-09-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Another budding Republican.

His daddy is an important Republican strategist who just went to the clink for corruption.
    jfc

EDIT: Watch the videos. ****ing sick. I hope his family is proud. No college will ever accept him.
    Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 08-09-2019 at 02:44 PM.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    EDIT: Watch the videos.
    RNC Keynote Speaker 2028.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I hope his family is proud. No college will ever accept him.
    There's always Liberty.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-09-2019 at 05:09 PM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

The straight pride parade in Modesto? A co-organizer admits his group is racist in front of a packed city hall.

https://www.newnownext.com/straight-p...UAgx8x7uNrFbJE

And from the sound of it, the counter-protests will outnumber the actual event 15-1 at least.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    The straight pride parade in Modesto? A co-organizer admits his group is racist in front of a packed city hall.

https://www.newnownext.com/straight-p...UAgx8x7uNrFbJE

And from the sound of it, the counter-protests will outnumber the actual event 15-1 at least.
    Oops, he said the quiet part loud and the loud part quiet.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    I'm sure some cultures are more resistant to incorporating immigrant culture into their own, but I think it's a bit different for Immigrants coming to America. We've advertised ourselves as a melting pot. We don't expect immigrants to give up their cultural identity, we absorb parts of it. Our regional foods are often the result of significant waves of immigration. Pretty much every major city has a "Chinatown", "Little Italy", etc.
    Yes, and in Utica NY, the food is one of the best aspects of it.

We, here, have Bosnians, Somalis, Vietnamese, East Indian- and of course- the older versions of the whole deal (eg, Italians, Polish and Irish.)

Immigration is what has made America what it is, but it should be legal and orderly, just the same.

If the Dems don't address that issue, here we go with another 4 years of the Orange Clown, and I'm not confident that the USA will survive that.

Generic Catchy Message

Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Good lord the arrogance. Even in the best light her actions were narcissistic and negligent.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Thread Information