X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Come on. Do you not recognize hyperbole? I don't even own a handgun.

I'm just saying that if you legally allow men to abuse the situation, some of them certainly will.
    Pretty sure if they "abuse the situation" it wouldn't be legal.

Comment

It's no secret that the "discourse" in this country has devolved into an array of circle-jerks: CNN, Fox, even here. No one is talking to anyone outside their sphere, or even attempting to..
      without a doubt
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        My point was maybe the Dems should focus on issues besides sexuality. The fly-overs don't want to hear about that, clearly... And first and foremost, Trump needs to go.
        The only one focusing on it is you.

Comment

My point was maybe the Dems should focus on issues besides sexuality.
          Pragmatic rebuttal:

I'm sure you'll admit the Dems have many, many issues. The question then is why you believe they are "focused" on sexuality. I propose it's because you find their stance on sexuality to be problematic in some way: it bugs you. So what you are saying is "don't talk about the thing that bugs me."

But here's the thing: everything bugs somebody. Take away everything that bugs somebody and you can't talk about anything. And this is in fact the key to the defenders of the status quo: label anything critical as "divisive" and there will be a bloc of people who peel off. Iterate through every issue and you have successfully reduced the opposition enough to thwart any change anywhere.

Protesters and reformers have to make common cause in order to get change anywhere.

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."
          "No one is free until all are free."
          "Freedom is merely privilege extended unless enjoyed by one and all."

Ethical rebuttal:

This is a fundamental matter of the core value of people. We should never compromise that for political purposes. If we lose because we defended the right of these people to exist and thrive, well, then we lose.
          Last edited by Kepler; 07-22-2019, 09:25 AM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            Come on. Do you not recognize hyperbole? I don't even own a handgun.

I'm just saying that if you legally allow men to abuse the situation, some of them certainly will.
            Hyperbole generally works better when not preceded by what you’d find in a generic Facebook comment. Your statement was no different than what you’d find on any bathroom bill story.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I have a feeling things like this will just start getting more common.

http://www.citypages.com/news/crafty...bill/512947951

Comment

Holy mail fraud! Xcel might also have a case for having their logo used to misrepresent this.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  Hyperbole generally works better when not preceded by what you’d find in a generic Facebook comment. Your statement was no different than what you’d find on any bathroom bill story.
                  Back in 2016, when bathroom bills started popping up, comments like "I'll beat up/shoot any trans person using the bathroom" were prevalent on Facebook. This is why I was scared to come out on Facebook then, knowing the comments I would get back.

Also, I've heard all the "trans people are ruining sports" arguments before. From Republicans. For me, I'm no longer trying to refute those claims, not because those claims are wrong, but because Republicans have basically stuffed their fingers in their ears and gone "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" It is useless to keep refuting those claims if Republicans choose not to listen.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post

Also, I've heard all the "trans people are ruining sports" arguments before. From Republicans. For me, I'm no longer trying to refute those claims, not because those claims are wrong, but because Republicans have basically stuffed their fingers in their ears and gone "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" It is useless to keep refuting those claims if Republicans choose not to listen.
                    To be honest, sports are a different segment when it comes to the argument here. At "elite" levels, the right to compete is a privilege that WILL be abused. It's the simple fact that male biology is better equipped to handle physical exertion better than female biology. There is no denying that. Combine it with a "win at all costs" attitude and you have a ripe atmosphere for exploitation.

As an amateur athlete, should this effect you MT? I'd mostly say no. That's what logic says. You running the YOUR AD HERE 10k on a random Saturday should 100% not be infringed on. But when you start talking elite high school athletics, NCAA, and pro/international competition, it becomes a completely different animal.

I really hope that you don't take this as a personal attack. I support you being you in 99.98% of what you do. Elite athletics fall into that .02% however. And there is supporting science behind the reasoning. It's simply biological and economic reasoning. No social, psychological, or other sciences that are in play with this aspect. Obviously this is drastically different when looking at what the LGBTQ community need to fight through on a daily basis. And I get that you don't want this to be the starting point of a "slippery slope". But elite athletics are far more likely to be exploited than open choice of bathrooms.
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                      Back in 2016, when bathroom bills started popping up, comments like "I'll beat up/shoot any trans person using the bathroom" were prevalent on Facebook. This is why I was scared to come out on Facebook then, knowing the comments I would get back.

The sports stuff cracks me up. I constantly hear how inferior women are and that no one wants to watch their sports yet a bunch of dudes are yelling about trans ruining women’s sports

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post

I'd like to make it clear that the bolded is not what I have been posting. I'm wondering what new rules/regulations will be written to figure out where the line is for male/female eligibility in each other's sport.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                          To be honest, sports are a different segment when it comes to the argument here. At "elite" levels, the right to compete is a privilege that WILL be abused. It's the simple fact that male biology is better equipped to handle physical exertion better than female biology. There is no denying that. Combine it with a "win at all costs" attitude and you have a ripe atmosphere for exploitation.

As an amateur athlete, should this effect you MT? I'd mostly say no. That's what logic says. You running the YOUR AD HERE 10k on a random Saturday should 100% not be infringed on. But when you start talking elite high school athletics, NCAA, and pro/international competition, it becomes a completely different animal.

I really hope that you don't take this as a personal attack. I support you being you in 99.98% of what you do. Elite athletics fall into that .02% however. And there is supporting science behind the reasoning. It's simply biological and economic reasoning. No social, psychological, or other sciences that are in play with this aspect. Obviously this is drastically different when looking at what the LGBTQ community need to fight through on a daily basis. And I get that you don't want this to be the starting point of a "slippery slope". But elite athletics are far more likely to be exploited than open choice of bathrooms.
                          Thank god no one has found a way to cheat in "elite" athletics up until now

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                            I have a feeling things like this will just start getting more common.

http://www.citypages.com/news/crafty...bill/512947951
                            “It’s true that Omar has said things that were freighted with anti-Semitism, for which she has expressed regret,” the article says (more on that here). “But it is grotesque to argue that that excuses racism against her, or that Trump’s taunts have anything to do with protecting Jews.”
                            This is the money quote and it is what the GOP doesnt seem to understand. They think just because they pretend to care about Jews this week Jews all of a sudden back them. This ignores all logic and fact...which I guess parallels everything those neanderthals do. The Jews understand what the GOP is doing, in part because we do this moron thing called thinking and in part because the GOP isnt exactly hiding their strategy well. It is like playing poker with a 4 year old.

Just because Omar MAY have said something Anti-Semitic doesnt make it ok to make racist comments about her. I believe it is in Kindergarten when they teach you "2 wrongs dont make a right".
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                              Thank god no one has found a way to cheat in "elite" athletics up until now
                              That doesn't make it okay in any form.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                This is the money quote and it is what the GOP doesnt seem to understand. They think just because they pretend to care about Jews this week Jews all of a sudden back them. This ignores all logic and fact...which I guess parallels everything those neanderthals do. The Jews understand what the GOP is doing, in part because we do this moron thing called thinking and in part because the GOP isnt exactly hiding their strategy well. It is like playing poker with a 4 year old.

Just because Omar MAY have said something Anti-Semitic doesnt make it ok to make racist comments about her. I believe it is in Kindergarten when they teach you "2 wrongs dont make a right".
                                One of the open questions about Republican strategy is whether any of it is intended to reach outside their killing jar or whether it's all just incendiaries to keep the home hate fires burning and the effect on the free world is incidental.

Cruz is a classic example. Although nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is he is not a moron. Yet he continually relies on asinine tropes and rock stupid narratives. Does he know they are stupid? Up until recently I just assumed Republicans like Cruz cynically peddled insanity/stupidity to their base in order to keep the votes and money flowing. God knows it works. But I'm starting to suspect he actually doesn't understand that what he is saying is stupid. Ideology is incredibly strong and can warp a brain to the point of unusability.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 07-22-2019, 10:15 AM.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X