Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

Technologieberater FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    BTW, if you haven't already I highly recommend last weekend's Jon Oliver. His interview with Monica Lewinsky is fantastic. She really comes across as funny, sane, and interesting, and way more composed than I'll ever be.
    I concur.

Technologieberater FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Sheís physically much more attractive now which I think is part of the reason the over 40 crowd didnít immediately recognize her
    For being 45-ish, she looks amazing.

But yeah, she's had work done and lost weight.

Lucia Apologist

Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I concur.
    Yeah holy **** sheís a good interview.

Canít believe they didnít go with thoughts and prayers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asi...W-qBd2as_x8tFU

Can’t believe they didn’t go with thoughts and prayers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asi...W-qBd2as_x8tFU
    Banning semi automatics. Wasn't there some argument here how that's not possible...something like semi automatics are normal guns which can't be unmodified or some such? Therefore, its literally a technological miracle that this could be done.
    Go Gophers!

Internet Nutcase

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Banning semi automatics. Wasn't there some argument here how that's not possible...something like semi automatics are normal guns which can't be unmodified or some such? Therefore, its literally a technological miracle that this could be done.
    that link says banning "military style" semi-automatics, so I guess it depends on how they define "military style"

most guns sold are semi-automatic (large percentage of pistols, most hunting rifles). I don't think it's true that most hunting rifles were semi-automatic until the 90s or so. I think there was some effort from the NRA/gun makers to popularize them to make them "legitimate" and difficult to ban.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Yes. Because New Zealand is a perfect model for the problem the United States has.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Yes. Because New Zealand is a perfect model for the problem the United States has.
    The United States doesn't solve problems anymore. Any problem that generates revenue for the US political system cannot be solved. Top 4 are:

1. Abortion.
    2. Guns.
    3. Climate Change/Fossil Fuels
    4. Crony Capitalism/Income Inequality

You want solutions to those problems move to a different country. The US has no interest in solving them.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

Internet Nutcase

it's time to admit America sucks.

every other "first world" country on earth can do better at healthcare, gun violence, paid family leave, etc

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post

every other "first world" country on earth can do better at healthcare, gun violence, paid family leave, etc
    Yes.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post

Yes and no. America can do it, but due to its population and size of the economy, itís a much bigger lift.

Order pizza for 4.9 million and you have a better chance at making everyone happy than 325 million.

America can suck hard, but letís not pretend we arenít immeasurably more complex and diverse.

wubba lubba dub dub

New Zealand is a country where there are more sheep than people. Comparing it to the USA is like comparing a pebble to a boulder. Sure, they're both made of roughly the same stuff, but there's much more of it all that makes up the latter and it'll kill you a lot easier if it falls.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

They at least try to solve issues, which was my point. Rather than ďnow is not the time to politicize the discussionĒ that republicans throw out after every mass shooting .

They at least try to solve issues, which was my point. Rather than “now is not the time to politicize the discussion” that republicans throw out after every mass shooting .
    Yes, yes, they do. And the US tries to make the problem worse. Here's an example of what the US Does.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...G9LrLODLg67-98

HOUSTON (Reuters) - Royal Dutch Shell urged U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration on Tuesday to tighten restrictions on greenhouse gas emissions from oil and gas production, instead of weakening them as planned.

Breaking from a decades-old tradition of avoiding criticism of U.S. government policies, Shell’s U.S. Country Chair Gretchen Watkins called on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to tighten rules to plug methane leaks, a potent greenhouse gas.

“It is a big part of the climate problem and frankly we can do more,” Watkins said in an interview with Reuters at IHS Markit’s CERAWeek conference in Houston.
    Here we have an oil company saying it can do more and the US saying NO we can't do more.

That is now how the US operates on the challenges of the 21st century.

The gun issue is no different. Everyone wants tighter background checks. There is no chance in hell unless Democrats get complete control of it passing the Senate, or not getting Vetoed. None.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Yes, yes, they do. And the US tries to make the problem worse. Here's an example of what the US Does.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...G9LrLODLg67-98

Here we have an oil company saying it can do more and the US saying NO we can't do more.

That is now how the US operates on the challenges of the 21st century.

The gun issue is no different. Everyone wants tighter background checks. There is no chance in hell unless Democrats get complete control of it passing the Senate, or not getting Vetoed. None.
    I'm wondering if it's because RDS's shareholders are the only ones that are even close to approving plans to cut back on GHGs and increase renewables. It puts them at a severe competitive disadvantage if the US companies have no such restrictions. Then again, position yourself for the future, not the present. THe knucks are going to lose and renewables are going to be a MASSIVE industry in the future. So who knows.

But I guess good on them for not being as evil as the US energy giants. I'll take the wins where I can get them on the environment.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    The United States doesn't solve problems anymore. Any problem that generates revenue for the US political system cannot be solved. Top 4 are:

1. Abortion.
    2. Guns.
    3. Climate Change/Fossil Fuels
    4. Crony Capitalism/Income Inequality

You want solutions to those problems move to a different country. The US has no interest in solving them.
    1. will be solved by technology within our lifetimes. Women will have the ability to restart their periods with no stalking by or even the knowledge of "the hate-pinched faces of churchgoing" people. Abortion was always a stupid, hamfisted solution. Women's reproductive freedom will soon rest on chemistry that makes our current medical technology look like stone knives and bear skins.

2. is probably going to get a lot worse before it gets better because it is one of the last vestiges of Dummy Culture. I have no idea how to fix it. The dummies will obviously always be with us barring some miraculous neurobiological singularity. They will always be vicious, paranoid, incompetent, and whining. Guns are their cultural apotheosis.

3. will kill us all unless we do something about 4.

4. is where all the action is. 4 is really the only thing that matters in this country. Tax the 1%; save the world.
    Last edited by Kepler; 03-21-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

America can suck hard, but letís not pretend we arenít immeasurably more complex and diverse.
    So what you're saying is we need to divide up for the good of our nation...

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post

"I'm not hearing a 'no'...."
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post

As I've often argued, the wrong army won the Civil War.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    New Zealand is a country where there are more sheep than people. Comparing it to the USA is like comparing a pebble to a boulder. Sure, they're both made of roughly the same stuff, but there's much more of it all that makes up the latter and it'll kill you a lot easier if it falls.
    I don't think anyone is comparing the demographics of the countries themselves...but rather the will to attempt anything to solve the problem.
    Go Gophers!

Thread Information