Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    My post to Miss T was simply a statement of my belief that gender or gender transitioning is entirely irrelevant in the Colorado shooting story (except to the extent I suppose that the news reported on the court proceedings at which it was discussed). That all human beings, regardless of gender, are capable of evil, of doing bad things (reminder, I said "capable," not more "more likely").
    And as I believe she pointed out, your assertion that both sides' media referenced the fact that one of the suspects was transitioning was, at best, naive. The RW site was obviously blowing their dog whistle. The regular media was not.

Not being a bigot yourself is a C for humanity. I think you can do better. Not squeezing your eyes shut when an ideological ally is one is a B; work on that.

Actively working against the bigots and sweeping them out of power is an A, if you're interested, but that means throwing your R in the trash can.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-10-2019, 10:16 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      And as I believe she pointed out, your assertion that both sides' media referenced the fact that one of the suspects was transitioning was, at best, naive. The RW site was obviously blowing their dog whistle. The regular media was not.
      She didn't reference "sides" of the media or anything about it being naive. Her response, to you and to me both, was a statement of fact that it's been hard to make the transition and any mention of it in the media doesn't make it any easier.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        She didn't reference "sides" of the media or anything about it being naive. Her response, to you and to me both, was a statement of fact that it's been hard to make the transition and any mention of it in the media doesn't make it any easier.
        She can speak for herself. Let me refine my statement: my bone with you is the below. I don't think you did it with nasty intent -- but the RW source certainly did, and the kind of false equivalence they hide behind is one of the reasons this poison keeps spreading. In my opinion.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          Hard to shoot more than two guns at a time.
          BWaaahahahahaaaahahahaaa. So a nut with a bunch of guns is exactly as dangerous as a nut with 2 guns. Jesus, if anyone thought you actually believed this stupidity, it would be worrisome.

Hovey, one of the things that I think Kepler is trying to get across, which I also think Miss Thundercat is trying to get across (and please correct me if I'm mis-stating your thoughts) is that, because that detail is irrelevant to the story (which I think we all agree on), including in the headline is inherently inflammatory. A headline's primary purpose, after all, is not to convey information but rather to sell newspapers, or drive clicks.
          Last edited by duper; 05-10-2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment

She can speak for herself. Let me refine my statement: my bone with you is the below. I don't think you did it with nasty intent -- but the RW source certainly did, and the kind of false equivalence they hide behind is one of the reasons this poison keeps spreading. In my opinion.
            Fair enough, and as I think I explained yesterday, I certainly had no nasty intent, and I certainly had no intent to compare a legitimate news outlet's account of a hearing in which a lawyer raised the issue of the gender with a rag news account trolling the transgender community. As I explained, I didn't even read the story linked to by Flag (I never do). All I saw was your objection to the headline, and responded.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
              Good argument to limit gun ownership to two...
              .30-06 or .270 for deer hunting
              12 or 20 gauge shotgun for bird hunting
              .17 HMR or .22 Win Mag for small animal hunting and varmint control
              Double-barrel 8 or 10 gauge for "Joe Biden tactical usage" (I disagree with Joe's call for a 12 gauge for this.)

And I haven't gotten to a handgun for recreational target shooting, or close quarters varmint control, or personal (legally done) concealed carry.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                Double-barrel 8 or 10 gauge for "Joe Biden tactical usage" (I disagree with Joe's call for a 12 gauge for this.)

And I haven't gotten to a handgun for recreational target shooting, or close quarters varmint control, or personal (legally done) concealed carry.

And?
                "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

There's nothing wrong with any of that. Now, if you'd thrown in a half-dozen AR-15esque rifles "for fun/collecting/popping pumpkins with the boys", I'd be keeping my distance from you.

Comment

If you own guns and live in the country you're a sportsman.

If you own guns and live in the city you're a psychopath.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      There's nothing wrong with any of that. Now, if you'd thrown in a half-dozen AR-15esque rifles "for fun/collecting/popping pumpkins with the boys", I'd be keeping my distance from you.
                      There's nothing wrong with that either as long as you do it safely and keep them locked up when not in use...the people I keep my distance from are the ones that have the "2A SOLUSHUZ!!!!!" reaction because they don't like Obamacare.

AR's are also used for small game and varmit control (at least here in IN).
                      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                      Originally posted by Quizmire
                      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        An AR-15 frame can be .223 caliber (NATO 5.56 mm) or .308 caliber (NATO 7.62 mm).

The .308 is a decent deer hunting weapon.
                        The .223 is good for varmint control (but too light for deer hunting).
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                          And?
                          Just providing a counter-point to "limit gun ownership to two".

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            An AR-15 frame can be .223 caliber (NATO 5.56 mm) or .308 caliber (NATO 7.62 mm).

The .308 is a decent deer hunting weapon.
                            The .223 is good for varmint control (but too light for deer hunting).
                            And a grenade makes a nice paper weight.

I have never understood this argument.
                            Cornell University

Comment

If you own guns and live in the city you're a psychopath.
                              Doesn't Robert De Niro have a permit, own a firearm, and live in NYC?

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

And a grenade makes a nice paper weight.

I have never understood this argument.
                                A .30-06 deer rifle is semi-automatic at best*.
                                An AR-15 (.223 or .308) is semi-automatic at best*.

Please don't let "scary looking" (i.e. the AR) be a criteria.
                                In that case we would need to ban Dodge Chargers because they are aggressive looking vehicles. (Everyone gets a happy looking Neon.)

*Unless illegally modified to full automatic.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X