Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 573

Thread: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

  1. #141

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    65,216

    Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

    We shouldn't split, we should grow. Annex Canada (10 provinces) and Mexico (31 states) to water down Jesusf-ckistan. That also gives us 9 more to pay around with. Puerto Rico, the 4 UK countries, AUS, NZ makes it 98. 2 to go. Atlantic possessions and Pacific possessions.

    The Dumpies are 30% of the US which has 327M people. So, 98M Dumpies.

    United Federation of States:

    US 327
    Mex 129
    UK 66
    Can 37
    Aus 25
    NZ 5
    PR 5
    Other 5
    ---------
    599M

    The Dumpies will be 16% of the population.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  2. #142
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    31,118

    Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

    Yes NZ's population is only 5 million, but what does that have to do with implementing a law? Ok so we have a lot of gun owners, we also have a lot of government employees etc. that are available to help facilitate whatever changes might one day be signed into law. New laws are not not being passed because no one has come with a realistic proposal to enact real change, but because the gun lobby has a significant stranglehold on the people elected to get this s**t done.

  3. #143
    Yep, still here
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    28,753

    Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    We shouldn't split, we should grow. Annex Canada (10 provinces) and Mexico (31 states) to water down Jesusf-ckistan. That also gives us 9 more to pay around with. Puerto Rico, the 4 UK countries, AUS, NZ makes it 98. 2 to go. Atlantic possessions and Pacific possessions.

    The Dumpies are 30% of the US which has 327M people. So, 98M Dumpies.

    United Federation of States:

    US 327
    Mex 129
    UK 66
    Can 37
    Aus 25
    NZ 5
    PR 5
    Other 5
    ---------
    599M

    The Dumpies will be 16% of the population.
    Why would countries with a modicum of common sense want anything to do with the 100 million crazies who elected Trump and chose Brexit?
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites


    Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

  4. #144
    Technologieberater FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    31,841

    Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Yes NZ's population is only 5 million, but what does that have to do with implementing a law? Ok so we have a lot of gun owners, we also have a lot of government employees etc. that are available to help facilitate whatever changes might one day be signed into law. New laws are not not being passed because no one has come with a realistic proposal to enact real change, but because the gun lobby has a significant stranglehold on the people elected to get this s**t done.
    It has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's a strawman argument made by white dudes scared of losing their artificial pen1s enlargements, and social media bots egging them on. It's the, "Sure, we can ban drugs that are obviously super addictive (meth), but is the cost of enforcement really worth it?" specious argument that fatalist, Darwinist libertarians love to advance.

    Will it always be a perfect implementation? No, however there's no question that:

    1) Enforcement reduces chaos and (ideally, with proper drug diversion funding) encourages treatment options
    2) This is a retarded comparison, because certain types of firearms unquestionably have the potential to kill far more innocent people in one fell swoop, than a hit of meth does to an addict

    See also: slippery slope fallacy ("First step towards taking ALL THE GUNZ!"), strict misinterpretations of 2A that completely ignore "well-regulated militia", etc. etc. etc.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  5. #145
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    31,118

    Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

    https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/03/21...nt-suggestions

    New Zealand took 3 days to ban assault rifles. Here's how long it took the US to act after mass shootings

    Blah blah blah excuses...

  6. #146
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    28,513

    Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    It has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's a strawman argument made by white dudes scared of losing their artificial pen1s enlargements, and social media bots egging them on. It's the, "Sure, we can ban drugs that are obviously super addictive (meth), but is the cost of enforcement really worth it?" specious argument that fatalist, Darwinist libertarians love to advance.

    Will it always be a perfect implementation? No, however there's no question that:

    1) Enforcement reduces chaos and (ideally, with proper drug diversion funding) encourages treatment options
    2) This is a retarded comparison, because certain types of firearms unquestionably have the potential to kill far more innocent people in one fell swoop, than a hit of meth does to an addict

    See also: slippery slope fallacy ("First step towards taking ALL THE GUNZ!"), strict misinterpretations of 2A that completely ignore "well-regulated militia", etc. etc. etc.
    Yeah, St. Clown and I are just retarded small dicked bots.

  7. #147
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,903

    Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

    A key point: New Zealand is an ISLAND. There is a natural added border that will help enforcement of bans/etc of guns.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  8. #148
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    13,472

    Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    A key point: New Zealand is an ISLAND. There is a natural added border that will help enforcement of bans/etc of guns.
    Not an excuse to not take action. And even if it were, the vast majority of countries are less isolated than the US and countries with similar levels of domestic security have no problem enforcing gun restrictions.

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Yeah, St. Clown and I are just retarded small dicked bots.
    You're a respected poster, but I don't know if anyone really knows what your gun POVs are. Not talking about you specifically, but there are some here seemingly taking turns about how they support gun control, while at the same time discouraging action on gun control simply because they don't think it will work (although this is far from proven). This two sided approach hurts gun control efforts and so reactions around here are not too surprising.
    Go Gophers!

  9. #149
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,903

    Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Not an excuse to not take action. And even if it were, the vast majority of countries are less isolated than the US and countries with similar levels of domestic security have no problem enforcing gun restrictions.

    .
    Other countries also have a much different attitude towards guns than the average US citizen. I'm for reform, my views have been stated previously, and I'm saying in this NZ case, it will be easier to enforce because it's an island.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  10. #150
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    31,764

    Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Not an excuse to not take action. And even if it were, the vast majority of countries are less isolated than the US and countries with similar levels of domestic security have no problem enforcing gun restrictions.



    You're a respected poster, but I don't know if anyone really knows what your gun POVs are. Not talking about you specifically, but there are some here seemingly taking turns about how they support gun control, while at the same time discouraging action on gun control simply because they don't think it will work (although this is far from proven). This two sided approach hurts gun control efforts and so reactions around here are not too surprising.
    My POV on guns is that most of them serve little or no purpose. I don't own one, and I never have. There are guns that can be used for legal recreation, and even some in self-defense of the home, from invaders, or the person with certain situations considered. All of these are on the stipulation that they're properly and carefully handled. After that, they're more a burden to life than anything.

    However, there is a pervasive mentality throughout this nation that's most unlike what we see in the rest of the world. It's not something so easily handled or dismissed as saying only criminals have this mindset, rather otherwise law-abiding citizens might actually go down fighting because of (insert the varied factors here). We have ideas about why this is, but we have legal barriers to changing the laws. We built 20th century mentality on ideas of a lawless Old West, romanticized it, and now it pervades our culture.

    We have to change society before we can turn the guns into scrap metal. If we don't, then there will be even more blood on our streets. There will be political fallout, and it would likely entrench the GOP in office for another generation or two. And it will be a party that changes little, so more Trumps and Pences running the nation.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  11. #151

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    37,984

    Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

    Mass stabbing in Canada

    https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada...mass-1.4347482

    Filmed it, too. Sick.

  12. #152
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    13,472

    Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    My POV on guns is that most of them serve little or no purpose. I don't own one, and I never have. There are guns that can be used for legal recreation, and even some in self-defense of the home, from invaders, or the person with certain situations considered. All of these are on the stipulation that they're properly and carefully handled. After that, they're more a burden to life than anything.

    However, there is a pervasive mentality throughout this nation that's most unlike what we see in the rest of the world. It's not something so easily handled or dismissed as saying only criminals have this mindset, rather otherwise law-abiding citizens might actually go down fighting because of (insert the varied factors here). We have ideas about why this is, but we have legal barriers to changing the laws. We built 20th century mentality on ideas of a lawless Old West, romanticized it, and now it pervades our culture.

    We have to change society before we can turn the guns into scrap metal. If we don't, then there will be even more blood on our streets. There will be political fallout, and it would likely entrench the GOP in office for another generation or two. And it will be a party that changes little, so more Trumps and Pences running the nation.
    Thanks for that. So if I'm paraphrasing correctly, you're for seriously restricting guns with no hesitation except one big one - that it can't be safely executed on without massive fallout unless society is better prepared for it. And frankly, I understand it as its not for from my feelings about a government mandated program of forcing vaccinations on every man, woman, child without their approval. Personally, I do see the opportunity on vaccinations as not nearly as important as what I consider a currently raging guns crisis.

    I would submit that a primary cause of the gun culture is driven by the perception that guns are a psychological crutch to all problems - and many people are fear based. This situation is predicated on conceal carry which creates the illusion that guns can fix your problems. Most other countries have conceal carry. This is a main reason that when gun restrictions are supported overseas, nobody in those countries really cares or even supports it. So I suggest we take one singular tough step and get rid of CC. Its only one specific dimension of gun ownership - you can still use guns to protect your home or use it for recreational use but you just can't threaten someone in a public space. To your point, this may have an initial backlash and could cause an immediate GOP gain...but as with Obamacare, soon society will support it and it will move back to 50/50 governance. As CC is the lynch pin to the fixation on guns, the move will focus guns just on its main uses of home security and recreation. From there, culture changes, people get a more level headed perspective on guns, and security and the Constitution can be balanced from a pragmatic point of view rather than an emotional one.
    Go Gophers!

  13. #153
    Technologieberater FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    31,841

    Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    A key point: New Zealand is an ISLAND. There is a natural added border that will help enforcement of bans/etc of guns.
    You know what the US also has on its three () coasts?

    Water. Lots of it, in fact.

    So, please keep bringing up this argument.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  14. #154

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    37,984

    Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

    BRILLIANT! Absolutely BRILLIANT!! (sarcasm).

    https://www.westernjournal.com/india...chers-injured/

    Should have given them plastic guns to shoot back!!

  15. #155
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    10,476

    Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    A key point: New Zealand is an ISLAND. There is a natural added border that will help enforcement of bans/etc of guns.
    KEY POINT- most of the guns north America are made in the USA. Which means if they stopped making them, Mexico would not have access to automatic weapons. You know, the ones criminal gangs get?

    Having them locally made would help enforcement/bans etc of guns.

    edit- the reporting has it that most of the guns in New Zealand are from the US, and the expansion of ownership has been largely driven by the US- the NRA. Which explains more that the NRA is more representing the gun industry over the owners.
    Last edited by alfablue; 03-22-2019 at 12:53 PM.

  16. #156
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,903

    Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    You know what the US also has on its three () coasts?

    Water. Lots of it, in fact.

    So, please keep bringing up this argument.
    Canada to the north, and Mexico in the south. Sure, the US could stop making guns, but what about all the existing guns in North America, Central America, and South America? They're still out there, and guess what? They'd end up back here. Illegally of course, but they'd still end up back here. NZ and Australia are different animals, as islands. That doesn't even begin to discuss the different societal attitudes associated with guns.

    Think of the US as the Chicago of that giant land mass.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  17. #157
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    10,476

    Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Canada to the north, and Mexico in the south. Sure, the US could stop making guns, but what about all the existing guns in North America, Central America, and South America? They're still out there, and guess what? They'd end up back here. Illegally of course, but they'd still end up back here. NZ and Australia are different animals, as islands. That doesn't even begin to discuss the different societal attitudes associated with guns.

    Think of the US as the Chicago of that giant land mass.
    So since the United States gun manufacturing has likely illegally armed most of North and Central America, we should do nothing? Yea, that's logical.

  18. #158
    He fixes the cable?
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    22,863
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    They'd end up back here. Illegally of course, but they'd still end up back here.
    No point trying then. Can't make a law because people might break it.

    Also, boats don't exist, everyone.

  19. #159
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,903

    Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    So since the United States gun manufacturing has likely illegally armed most of North and Central America, we should do nothing? Yea, that's logical.
    Who said do nothing? I am saying it'll be tougher to enforce whatever laws are passed due to the nature of geography, compared to NZ/Australia. If the US were an island like NZ, it'd be a little easier to enforce the laws.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  20. #160
    Technologieberater FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    31,841

    Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

    To be clear, I'm not in favor of a total ban, because some firearms do serve recreational purposes (bolt and lever rifles, shotguns, revolvers). My immediate family owns all of those, though I don't think my dad has actually fired his .44 mag in many years.

    But the semi-automatics are what is up for debate. We don't have any of those.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •