Canada Winter Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canada Winter Games

Scoreless after one. No, looks like I missed a goal...Man 1 - Que 0.

Manitoba failed to capitalize on a breakaway and Quebec came away empty handed on the lone power play of the period.
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-25-2019, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Manitoba with the edge in play in the 2nd but not on the scoreboard as Quebec ties it up at one.

Manitoba squandered another breakaway and their lone pp was pretty bleak looking.

Comment

Man 1 - Que 2 final.

Quebec squeaks out the win on a pp goal from a scrum in front.

Manitoba failed to capitalize on their third breakaway of the game.

Comment

Man 3 - N.B. 0 after two.

Comment

Man 4 - N.B. 1 final.

Olivia Cvar with a 4 goal night for Manitoba that she won't soon forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
              According to their roster Team Yukon has:

1 11 yr old WOW!!
              1 12 yr old Ditto!
              2 13 yr olds Ditto
              5 14 yr olds although Carman McDonald was 14 when she competed at the CWG in 2007 and went on to play for St.Lawrence.
              4 15 yr olds

in what is essentially a 16 -17 yr old tournament.

Proving that this is the antithesis of why Quebec, Ontario, BC and Alberta usually have the strongest teams.
              that ain't nuthin'
              Nunavut has a polar bear and a walrus on their team

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                that ain't nuthin'
                Nunavut has a polar bear and a walrus on their team
                Even so, I wouldn't lay money on them.

I've seen 'em...The polar bear can't shoot and the walrus can't skate.

Comment

Ab vs Ont just underway...

https://canadagames.live/video/3054

Comment

Scoreless after one.

By far, the best hockey I've seen so far.

Ab seems to have picked up their game after their dismal showing against B.C..

Apparently, several players on both teams were recently on TC-U18.

Comment

What's the maximum age a player can be and still be eligible? Tuning in it looks like there are some big girls out there! It seems a little odd (and maybe dangerous?) for an 11 year-old to be going up against them.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        What's the maximum age a player can be and still be eligible? Tuning in it looks like there are some big girls out there! It seems a little odd (and maybe dangerous?) for an 11 year-old to be going up against them.
                        I believe that maximum age is 17.

Yeah, I agree, I think an 11 year old is crazy, although, I think that one is a goalie, if that makes any difference. She wouldn't even be able to grasp the gravity of the situation. But it's all a function of demographics/gene pool size and that's the "problem", meaning it's pretty predictable every Games. (The small provinces/territories have small gene pools and I guess this is what they sometimes have to do to ice a team. Conversely, the larger provinces have the largest gene pools and are almost always the best teams).

I recall seeing goaltender Carmen McDonald playing in two games in CWG 2007 when she was 14. (She went on to play for St. Lawrence and she did quite well). I could be wrong but I looked at her eyes several times during those two games wondering what she might be thinking at such a young age being on a national stage and I kept thinking what I saw in her eyes was a trance like fear or mental numbness...lots of endless blank stares out to infinity...like she didn't know where she was. I was almost getting concerned for her well being. But she certainly played well enough given her age and lack of experience relative to the top 16 and 17 yr olds.
                        Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-26-2019, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Ab 1 - Ont 2 final.

Ab finally bags one with a buck twenty seven left on the clock and the goalie pulled for the extra attacker.

But too little too late.

Comment

I believe that maximum age is 17.

Yeah, I agree, I think an 11 year old is crazy, although, I think that one is a goalie, if that makes any difference. She wouldn't even be able to grasp the gravity of the situation. But it's all a function of demographics/gene pool size and that's the "problem", meaning it's pretty predictable every Games. (The small provinces/territories have small gene pools and I guess this is what they sometimes have to do to ice a team. Conversely, the larger provinces have the largest gene pools and are almost always the best teams).

I recall seeing goaltender Carmen McDonald playing in two games in CWG 2007 when she was 14. (She went on to play for St. Lawrence and she did quite well). I could be wrong but I looked at her eyes several times during those two games wondering what she might be thinking at such a young age being on a national stage and I kept thinking what I saw in her eyes was a trance like fear or mental numbness...lots of endless blank stares out to infinity...like she didn't know where she was. I was almost getting concerned for her well being. But she certainly played well enough given her age and lack of experience relative to the top 16 and 17 yr olds.
                            Would Nunavut have even more trouble fielding a team?
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Yeah, I agree, I think an 11 year old is crazy, although, I think that one is a goalie, if that makes any difference. She wouldn't even be able to grasp the gravity of the situation.
                              Not national but ... Breck's goalie was an 8th grader in the Minnesota State HS tourney that was played last week. Every time they showed her during the two televised games, she was smiling as they won the single A championship. Admittedly, she was likely less nervous because she'd won it the year before as a 7th grader.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                Not national but ... Breck's goalie was an 8th grader in the Minnesota State HS tourney that was played last week. Every time they showed her during the two televised games, she was smiling as they won the single A championship. Admittedly, she was likely less nervous because she'd won it the year before as a 7th grader.
                                Also, she is a 13- or 14-year old, not an 11. BTW, Neutral Zone liked Corniea in all five evaluations which they done.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X