Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars IX: rumors, spoilers beware!!!

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!

Re: Star Wars IX: rumors, spoilers beware!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    From the-numbers.com

1 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker $90,000,000 $20,427 (per theater)
    4 Cats $2,620,000 $775 (per theater)

Disney pegged RoS for a $160 million domestic opening. Tracking put it at $175-200 million. Ouch for Cats.
    No they didnt. That is the BS "safe" number they put out. (so if it underperforms it looks ok and if it does better they have a fun headline Every studio does that. There is no chance they were expecting it to open under $200 million when TLJ opened at $220. You know better than that

The box office board I go to is having a field day with this film. If it opens below $190 there might be a war over there. So much fun since I have zero invested in the film. (the mediocre cinemascore and the overseas underperforming has them going crazy)

On another topic the title name was stupid, but it does fit with both Ben's redemption and Rey's changing her name. Still dumb though And yeah I do like that Rey is the "Balance". And it doesnt even necessarily contradict Anakin's story because his fall lead to all of this. If Anakin doesnt become Vader none of this happens.

And i still smile thinking about them kissing and then him dying. SUCK IT REYLO SHIPPERS!!
    Last edited by Handyman; 12-21-2019 at 02:46 PM.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Just wait until they do the animated versions of the live action adaptations of the animated movies.
    I am waiting for the inevitable "Star Wars Episode XIII: The Destruction of Thanos". Only half kidding

This will then lead to the the offshoot film "Baby Yoda vs. Groot"
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    The Rise or Skywalker title is the same use as The Return of the Jedi. Skywalker didnít reference Rey, it was Kylo rediscovering his Skywalker Jedi roots, tossing aside his Vader designs. At the end of ROTJ, the Jedi returned was Anakin, not Luke taking up the mantle.
    I'm not referencing the series what so ever- I'm pointing out that the specific use of those words is not a good way to end all movies. It may end one chapter, but its not over at all. The word "rise" means an upswing, not a conclusion.

Not to be 'that guy' but who is the source for this information?

I have never heard a word of this. My sources include Disney, Star Wars News Net, the Force Center Podcast, Star Wars Explained, Collider Jedi Council and Entertainment Weekly (which seems to have become Disney's unofficial PR firm)
    Mike Zeroh. I donít Like his attitude but every leak he put forth on ROS was true so I trust his sources whomever they are:

https://youtu.be/o2iXgq-keNw

wubba lubba dub dub
    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    I'm not referencing the series what so ever- I'm pointing out that the specific use of those words is not a good way to end all movies. It may end one chapter, but its not over at all. The word "rise" means an upswing, not a conclusion.
    Sure. Perhaps they continue on with the new cast, but I get the impression those actors are ready for it to be done. Fans of Star Wars movies have a history of being more intrusive and ruthless than others.

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    No they didnt. That is the BS "safe" number they put out. (so if it underperforms it looks ok and if it does better they have a fun headline Every studio does that. There is no chance they were expecting it to open under $200 million when TLJ opened at $220. You know better than that

The box office board I go to is having a field day with this film. If it opens below $190 there might be a war over there. So much fun since I have zero invested in the film. (the mediocre cinemascore and the overseas underperforming has them going crazy)
    It's still the number Disney gave. We all know why it said that, but that's what it said. TFA Friday was $119, TLJ was $104 and this was $90. Still on track for third-best December ever. The strike price at HSX was $220 so that seems like a very profitable PUT option. However, the stock is priced for a $189 open which is almost spot on.

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Mike Zeroh. I donít Like his attitude but every leak he put forth on ROS was true so I trust his sources whomever they are:

https://youtu.be/o2iXgq-keNw
    I won't hold my breath waiting for Keanu to appear in a KOTOR trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Sure. Perhaps they continue on with the new cast, but I get the impression those actors are ready for it to be done. Fans of Star Wars movies have a history of being more intrusive and ruthless than others.
    Not Boyega. He's down to start shooting tomorrow. He's all set to be the next Jedi

Most of them are happy to be done with Star Wars, but when Disney parks a Brinks truck in their driveway in a decade or two, they'll all come back.

They always do...especially if they have nothing else to fall back on.

With the way they did his character in this series though I am not sure I would trust them. Good lord it's almost like they saw how the trolls redacted online to him in the first trailer for TFA and decided just to never let him do anything of value besides yell a lot. Oh and pine for Rey

And LOL at the KOTOR rumors

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    They always do...especially if they have nothing else to fall back on.
    I wonder how much they paid Harrison Ford. $Texas?

I wonder how much they paid Harrison Ford. $Texas?
    Probably bought him a fleet of planes/copters. Plus to be honest his movie choices the last 2 decades havent been inspiring
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

I also think TROS is the end of this particular storyline. There may be one-offs but there will not be a X.

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

I've never figured out why people think Harrison Ford is anything special. He's a one-note actor good at playing one type of character, and like Handy pointed out, he can't even make good movie choices to do his one trope in anymore.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

I dont know that I would call him one note...but he is not what I would call deeply talented either. He has a lot of charisma which makes up for his lack of acting chops.

And he is still the best of all the Jack Ryans
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I've never figured out why people think Harrison Ford is anything special. He's a one-note actor good at playing one type of character, and like Handy pointed out, he can't even make good movie choices to do his one trope in anymore.
    Because he was Han Solo, Indiana Jones and Rick Deckard. He was a huge part of our childhood.

Because he was Han Solo, Indiana Jones and Rick Deckard. He was a huge part of our childhood.
    Add in Dr. Richard Kimball and you nailed it.

Bladerunner sucks...yeah I said it!

But yeah he played roles we grew up with, as such he is kind of important. Beyond the franchise stuff though he is a mixed bag. I tend to like more than I dislike, but post Air Force One it his misses versus his hits are kinda staggering.

BTW Star Wars IX is now tracking to make $173 million domestic for the weekend, which is not a good number. (it is a profitable one so lets leave that out) The BO nerds are freaking out over this because now projections of less than a billion are in play. The holiday will probably save that from happening, but no matter how Di$ney spins it that is not a good thing.

I still wish I had some stock though Maybe if I win big in Vegas this week

edit: I dont think it will make less than a billion nor do I want it to because I love SW and liked the film. It is just interesting. I mean it is possible (not likely) that a low budget Joker film made by the guy who directed The Hangover could gross more than Episode IX. If we had said that at the beginning of the year we would have been committed BO can be fun to track
    Last edited by Handyman; 12-22-2019 at 02:13 PM.
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Saw this this morning, and finally able to read this thread.

I liked it. A LOT. The Palpatine twist was awesome, a true "holy sh*" moment. It kinda made everything else fall into place (the whole Reylo thing, with communicating, especially).

The Leia Jedi training, yeah, I also geeked out a little. Her arc was indeed darn near perfect, especially when her body disappeared only when Kylo's did.

In hindsight, the Kylo/Rey force battle for the Imperial ship...and lightning came out of Rey...only one other time have we seen that. Palpatine. "DUH" you say to yourself, once you think about it, but in the moment, at least for me, it was "oh, another evolved Jedi power...

Why was Rose even in this movie? Completely wasted her character; there could have been more there.

I've heard that there are many more movies to come, but this storyline is unfortunately done. It's going to be stuff like the Mandalorian. So same universe(s), but not involving these characters (according to an uber-geek friend of mine). I'm torn, because of much of what has been mentioned earlier in this thread (there is a TON of material to build on, while still shedding the 9 movies), but as the Mandelorian has shown, it's fiction. There is a ton of material that can be created from all the worlds that have been introduced in the movies overall.

I did like that the side banter/snark/humor dialogue was still present in this one. It was a trademark of all the previous Star Wars movies, and in the past, sometimes it fell a little flat. It was on point for this movie. Well done.

As the movie went on, I also got an Agent Smith/Neo vibe between Kylo and Rey. Balance of the Force. At one point I honestly thought they would off each other, thereby cancelling each other out, and Finn/Poe/etc would win the war on their own, and the Force would be dead (even if Finn has some Force within him, it's not Jedi/Sith levels).

I will definitely see it again, because I know I'll catch something or other on a repeat viewing. It was a fitting ending to this franchise as we know it.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Internet Nutcase

Twist ending could have been when Ben got to the Rey, she is nearly lifeless but Palpatineís force spirit begins to take over her body (because she killed him) so Ben holds the lightsaber behind her, and turns it on and kills her and him at the same time (so Palpatine canít transfer to him). Ends the Skywalker and Palpatine bloodline and the Sith all at once.

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    Twist ending could have been when Ben got to the Rey, she is nearly lifeless but Palpatine’s force spirit begins to take over her body (because she killed him) so Ben holds the lightsaber behind her, and turns it on and kills her and him at the same time (so Palpatine can’t transfer to him). Ends the Skywalker and Palpatine bloodline and the Sith all at once.
    Did she? Seems like the way it happened is that she let Palpatine kill himself by just reflecting his assault on her. And she also gains by not "hating" and killing him- and also directing her energy to the dark side. Just like how Luke could not kill his father in RotJ. But Luke had no way to protect himself, whereas Rey had two light sabers to do it.

(which raises an interesting force question, why didn't Palpatine feel Aniken coming up from behind and throwing him over the side?)

Still- if someone shoots you, and you have something that can reflect the shot back to the shooter, thus killing that person- who did it? That's why I don't see Rey killing Palpatine as much as he killed himself.

That's one of the big things about the series of movies. Some of the people are basically "all knowing," yet they miss the obvious stuff. I let it go. Don't want to over-analyze, I just want to enjoy the movie.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Thread Information