Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    I thought there was no Pool B this year.
    Old habits die hard!
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

I thought there was no Pool B this year.
      You’re right. Old habits die hard. Just take the B and make it a C and it’s still the same field
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        You’re right. Old habits die hard. Just take the B and make it a C and it’s still the same field
        I knew it didn’t change the field. I just had to bust on you. :-)
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I wonder if the 2 games + (the dreaded) mini game format will take a hit as a result of the PWR. Then again, Adrian would be dead in the water if the NCHA was a one and done tournament.

Wish we had a PWR predictor like D1. It would be fun to model the PWR with various tournament outcomes.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            I wonder if the 2 games + (the dreaded) mini game format will take a hit as a result of the PWR. Then again, Adrian would be dead in the water if the NCHA was a one and done tournament.

Wish we had a PWR predictor like D1. It would be fun to model the PWR with various tournament outcomes.
            DMG has no effect on PWR ....not at all considered.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Adrian was worse off after the first loss, so the split was better on their PWR than a loss and season done.
              (Actually we could just go by the RPI and ignore the PWR. The PWR and RPI are exactly the same all the way down to number 23)
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                DMG has no effect on PWR ....not at all considered.
                I know. But 1-1 hurts the PWR.

-----
                Prof

Lack of Common Opponents when comparing teams from opposite regions?
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                  Adrian was worse off after the first loss, so the split was better on their PWR than a loss and season done.
                  (Actually we could just go by the RPI and ignore the PWR. The PWR and RPI are exactly the same all the way down to number 23)
                  Usually works-out that way...

But the KRACH makes more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    I know. But 1-1 hurts the PWR.
                    1-1 is better than 0-1, which is what would have happened had the NCHA not used this format. It is designed to protect the higher seeds from being upset in a one off.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
                      1-1 is better than 0-1, which is what would have happened had the NCHA not used this format. It is designed to protect the higher seeds from being upset in a one off.
                      I’m curious to see if other leagues like the SUNY or NEHC consider going to the 2 game series format. I think in PWR era, that’s the format to use.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

I’m curious to see if other leagues like the SUNY or NEHC consider going to the 2 game series format. I think in PWR era, that’s the format to use.
                        That would be nice!

Well it may be a while, but the rent a rink schools (SUF & JWU) may have difficulty in clearing Friday and Saturday ice, especially when Saturday could be open ended.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

For now, PWR is a two-year experiment. So, unless it becomes permanent, there is no sense considering changing the conference playoff format.
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            But the KRACH makes more sense.
                            Does someone have the KRACH numbers for D3? It would be nice to compare the outcome.
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
                              The problem with this logic is that the conference tournament isn't over yet and the only thing that matters is the PWR once the tournaments are over. Remember, with only one exception, every team in the conference tournament gets eliminated eventually by losing.

Let's keep using Adrian as an example. The best case scenario for Adrian the rest of the NCHA tournament is they win two more games. The worst case scenario is they lose one more. The in-between scenario is they go 1-1.

Best case: Adrian's NCHA tournament record is 3-1. That's good and it will help their PWR! But it won't matter as much because they will have won the autobid anyway. It will only matter for seeding.

Worst case: Adrian's NCHA tournament record is 1-2. If that happens are they better off than if they just lost one game and were eliminated from the tournament? I doubt it.

In conclusion, I'm not at all convinced the two-game plus a mini game format helps bubble teams because it allows them the opportunity to lose more games in their conference tournaments.
                              #OneKnight

Comment

Does someone have the KRACH numbers for D3? It would be nice to compare the outcome.
                                https://www.uscho.com/rankings/krach/d-iii-men/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X