Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
    SNC has been a big beneficiary of this lately and it still doesn't feel right to me.
    Don't feel bad. No one in the east was feeling sorry for the west when the west played four teams down to one in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
      Having 4 teams fight for 2 FF spots and the other 8 teams fight for the final 2 FF spots just seems odd to me...dang travel
      Sounds like WIAC sour grapes to me. If the east would win a championship more than once every 5, or 6 years it wouldnt be an issue.

Comment

Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

Any insights regarding the host selection of the frozen four? Campus site this year, yes? Did the criteria change to allow more potential schools to apply? If you have a frozen 4 with 2 east and 2 west schools and none made application to host, what happens?
        LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by snc1 View Post
          Sounds like WIAC sour grapes to me. If the east would win a championship more than once every 5, or 6 years it wouldnt be an issue.
          A simple fact check would prove your eastern slight false. If you don’t see a problem with the current format I don’t know what to tell you. I understand it with travel restrictions but it’s not ideal.

And I do understand sirnubs that it used to be unfair to the west but making that argument years later is just foolish.

Comment

A simple fact check would prove your eastern slight false. If you don’t see a problem with the current format I don’t know what to tell you. I understand it with travel restrictions but it’s not ideal.

And I do understand sirnubs that it used to be unfair to the west but making that argument years later is just foolish.
            I believe that was hyperbole

Comment

It's not foolish. It's a fact. Eastern fans were fine with the west getting hosed earlier this decade. Now the shoe is on the other foot and there's a bunch of crying about it back east. The west licks the tears.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
                It's not foolish. It's a fact. Eastern fans were fine with the west getting hosed earlier this decade. Now the shoe is on the other foot and there's a bunch of crying about it back east. The west licks the tears.
                Listen, I get it. I get that you feel the west earned this from the unfairness from the earlier years but with attitudes like that nothing would ever change or get any better...that’s really all I’m trying to say. I’m too young to have had an opinion or any knowledge of the matter back in those days but I would hope I could see the problem with the set up rather than Just use the excuse that ‘oh happened before the other way so this is totally fair and fine.’

Comment

Part of the problem is the math doesn't reduce well to the final four.

The east has about 2/3 of the teams - something like 62 to 28, if I recall correctly. (I know that's not the exact numbers).

That works well for 8 of the 12 teams in the field... 2/3

But for the last four, either the east gets 3 of the 4 - 75% - and is 'over' represented, or it gets two - 50% - and is 'under' represented. And 1 or 2 is mismatched for the west, as well.
                  St. Norbert College Green Knights
                  NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                  NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                  NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                  ---
                  SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Listen, I get it. I get that you feel the west earned this from the unfairness from the earlier years but with attitudes like that nothing would ever change or get any better...that’s really all I’m trying to say. I’m too young to have had an opinion or any knowledge of the matter back in those days but I would hope I could see the problem with the set up rather than Just use the excuse that ‘oh happened before the other way so this is totally fair and fine.’
                    I never said it was fair. I just don't want to hear any complaining about it. Based on the regional aspect of all Division III championships several quality teams in every sport get eliminated sooner than they would if a "national" bracket was laid out. The complaining usually comes from the team/conference/region that is getting "screwed."

Comment

I never said it was fair. I just don't want to hear any complaining about it. Based on the regional aspect of all Division III championships several quality teams in every sport get eliminated sooner than they would if a "national" bracket was laid out. The complaining usually comes from the team/conference/region that is getting "screwed."
                      And the ones saying they don’t want to “hear” the complaining are the ones benefiting from it.

I do get there is no true way to get a national bracket, in a perfect world would love to see more east and west teams face off.

Comment

And the ones saying they don’t want to “hear” the complaining are the ones benefiting from it.

I do get there is no true way to get a national bracket, in a perfect world would love to see more east and west teams face off.
                        No one out east wanted to hear it when it happened to the west either. What goes around comes around.

Comment

No one out east wanted to hear it when it happened to the west either. What goes around comes around.
                          Yea I think you’ve already said that a few times..

Comment

Having 4 teams fight for 2 FF spots and the other 8 teams fight for the final 2 FF spots just seems odd to me...dang travel
                            Umm, did you look at last year's bracket...
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by snc1 View Post
                              There was a time when the east won it every year and nobody gave a cr*p about the west...
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                                Umm, did you look at last year's bracket...
                                Yea - but last year used Rankings, etc. and now we have the PWR.

Does the Committee want the 1st and 6th ranked teams to have a single game to get to the Frozen Final Four and make the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th ranked teams play 2 games?

Our compatriots up in D1 on this site and on the other site mention "bracket integrity". I don't know if that mantra will apply to D3. If it does, then a 1/3 split seems logical. If they want to go west and maximize attendance then 2/2, but if the 2 west winners are Augsburg and Adrian, can they really afford to go West as the rinks are not large in terms of fannies.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X