Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    One week to go and we see a couple more changes based off this past week's results.

SUNYAC - Geneseo (2)
    CCC - Salve Regina (11)
    MASCAC - Plymouth State (31)
    MIAC - Augsburg (10)
    NCHA - St. Norbert (5)
    NEHC - Norwich (3)
    NESCAC - Trinity (9)
    UCHC - Utica (12)

Pool C - Stevens Point (1)
    Pool C - Oswego (4)
    Pool C - Hobart (6)
    Pool C - Adrian (7)

Now we're back to lots of different scenarios for how to deal with Adrian. Adrian can play St. Norbert, Oswego, Hobart and Geneseo all without flying.

I think the fairest scenario I could come up with gives us this bracket. (It becomes an easier pill to swallow if Adrian beats St. Norbert in the NCHA final and Oswego beats Geneseo)

First Round:

Augsburg at St. Norbert
    Plymouth State at Norwich
    Utica at Hobart
    Salve Regina at Trinity

Quarterfinals:

SNC/Augsburg at Stevens Point
    Adrian at Oswego
    Norwich/Plymouth vs. Hobart/Utica
    Salve Regina/Trinity at Geneseo
    Please figure-out how to get Utica as far away from The Cooler as possible. Even my Siberian husky would prefer to fly somewhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      One week to go and we see a couple more changes based off this past week's results.

SUNYAC - Geneseo (2)
      CCC - Salve Regina (11)
      MASCAC - Plymouth State (31)
      MIAC - Augsburg (10)
      NCHA - St. Norbert (5)
      NEHC - Norwich (3)
      NESCAC - Trinity (9)
      UCHC - Utica (12)

Pool C - Stevens Point (1)
      Pool C - Oswego (4)
      Pool C - Hobart (6)
      Pool C - Adrian (7)

Now we're back to lots of different scenarios for how to deal with Adrian. Adrian can play St. Norbert, Oswego, Hobart and Geneseo all without flying.

I think the fairest scenario I could come up with gives us this bracket. (It becomes an easier pill to swallow if Adrian beats St. Norbert in the NCHA final and Oswego beats Geneseo)

First Round:

Augsburg at St. Norbert
      Plymouth State at Norwich
      Utica at Hobart
      Salve Regina at Trinity

Quarterfinals:

SNC/Augsburg at Stevens Point
      Adrian at Oswego
      Norwich/Plymouth vs. Hobart/Utica
      Salve Regina/Trinity at Geneseo
      Geez where is Sir Nubs?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

What is wrong with this set up given the current PWR?

Adrian/Hobart --> Genny,
        Augs/SNC --> UWSP,
        Plym/Trin --> Oswego
        Utica/Slave --> NU

We would have 6 vs. 7 going to 2, 9 vs. 5 going to 1, 12/8 going to 4. and 11/10 going to 3.

It's not perfect but the are no flights required, the top 4 seeds get byes. Just a thought.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          What is wrong with this set up given the current PWR?

Adrian/Hobart --> Genny,
          Augs/SNC --> UWSP,
          Plym/Trin --> Oswego
          Utica/Slave --> NU

We would have 6 vs. 7 going to 2, 9 vs. 5 going to 1, 12/8 going to 4. and 11/10 going to 3.

It's not perfect but the are no flights required, the top 4 seeds get byes. Just a thought.
          Not a bad choice either. But 3 and 4 kind of make out with the lower seeds there while higher seeds have to face “tougher” opponents.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Geez where is Sir Nubs?
            Trying to ignore the misinformation spread on here virtually in every post.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
              Trying to ignore the misinformation spread on here virtually in every post.
              Well, the good news is that the AL's will be determined via the PWR, and the bad news is that there still exists a ridiculous 500-mile cliff regarding the siting.

Here's an idea: lose the distance BS, site the teams on the basis of the PWR, and split the travel budget as is needed. If any school decides that it can't afford to make up any (possible) shortfall, it can cede its berth to the next highest-ranked team that will pony-up the difference.

Prof and others have been very informative as to the fact that D-3 receives 3% of the NCAA's annual budget, but I'd love to know what the exact dollar amount is... I'm guessing that it would would cover a few commercial flights, but even if not, a whole lot of schools in D-3 charge 40-60 K /year in tuition while having massive, self-perpetuating endowments in place at the same time...

Soooo, the entire money-argument sounds pretty disingenuous to me. The PWR was a great start, but why not level the entire playing field, er, ice?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                a whole lot of schools in D-3 charge 40-60 K /year in tuition while having massive, self-perpetuating endowments in place at the same time
                I see you would leave the public schools in the dust, then? Plattsburgh just finished a round of faculty layoffs to try to alleviate a $1M+ budget deficit, and it is my understanding that there situation is typical of most SUNY campuses. What you propose is likely impossible for a school like Plattsburgh.
                Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                  I see you would leave the public schools in the dust, then? Plattsburgh just finished a round of faculty layoffs to try to alleviate a $1M+ budget deficit, and it is my understanding that there situation is typical of most SUNY campuses. What you propose is likely impossible for a school like Plattsburgh.
                  Potsdam is hurting financially right now as well.

DeadFish's idea is as asinine as he can possibly get. And he has already set bars so low, they wouldn't fit in Mariana Trench.
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    Well, the good news is that the AL's will be determined via the PWR, and the bad news is that there still exists a ridiculous 500-mile cliff regarding the siting.

Here's an idea: lose the distance BS, site the teams on the basis of the PWR, and split the travel budget as is needed. If any school decides that it can't afford to make up any (possible) shortfall, it can cede its berth to the next highest-ranked team that will pony-up the difference.

Soooo, the entire money-argument sounds pretty disingenuous to me. The PWR was a great start, but why not level the entire playing field, er, ice?
                    So your idea of "leveling the playing field" is to select teams by financial status instead of playing merit? Did you forget to take your medication yesterday?
                    Steve
                    Penn State Class of '95
                    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                      Just thought, but without the win....Adrian will drop back down below UMB. Their win% would drop to .707 and RPI would take a hit. UMB should pretty much remain steady.
                      So I need a little help understanding how the PW system works . Since we are assuming Adrian losing to SN, is it as easy as you lose you move down or is there other factors involved? If so that makes it simple, If Adrian loses they are out and UMB is in. Or could Adrian stay put,Even through their win % would drop ,their RPI could hang due to wieghted road loss to SN (which could move up to PW 4) ,& 4 wins against teams that could win their conference title Sat night (Utica,Utica, Salve,Salve) and possibly gain spots in the PW standings? For that matter could a weighted conf final loss for Hobart drop them below Adrian due to this factor? I just don’t really know how the computer (PW) works but when Utica won on Sunday, Adrian did get a slight boost in the RPI. Got a headache thinking about numbers!

Comment

Take a look at the upper left of the d3 basketball bracket. Somebody is flying for round 3. Maybe the 500 mile rule is not as ironclad as it used to be?
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

• Originally posted by Lightningvinny100 View Post
                          So I need a little help understanding how the PW system works . Since we are assuming Adrian losing to SN, is it as easy as you lose you move down or is there other factors involved? If so that makes it simple, If Adrian loses they are out and UMB is in. Or could Adrian stay put,Even through their win % would drop ,their RPI could hang due to wieghted road loss to SN (which could move up to PW 4) ,& 4 wins against teams that could win their conference title Sat night (Utica,Utica, Salve,Salve) and possibly gain spots in the PW standings? For that matter could a weighted conf final loss for Hobart drop them below Adrian due to this factor? I just don’t really know how the computer (PW) works but when Utica won on Sunday, Adrian did get a slight boost in the RPI. Got a headache thinking about numbers!
                          WinPct
                          Head 2 Head
                          Common Opponents
                          RPI (tiebreaker). Beating a bad team will not drag your RPI down as it did in previous years. Lose, and you just loaded a boat anchor.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                            Potsdam is hurting financially right now as well.

DeadFish's idea is as asinine as he can possibly get. And he has already set bars so low, they wouldn't fit in Mariana Trench.
                            Yet another brilliant and beautifully-worded post. (Loved the mixed metaphor; a real head-scratcher!) Thanks for sharing.

But it would be interesting if someone could provide the actual dollar-amount of the NCAA's D-3 hockey budget. It's possible that the money for a flight or two in the 1st round is already there, which would obviate this whole argument.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Take a look at the upper left of the d3 basketball bracket. Somebody is flying for round 3. Maybe the 500 mile rule is not as ironclad as it used to be?
                              Yeah, it's all over the place.

"Iron-clad" D-3 budget or not, it's hard to imagine that there's not enough in the NCAA coffers to finance an equitable arrangement for all the sports under that umbrella.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Fishman'81;6769284]Yet another brilliant and beautifully-worded post. (Loved the mixed metaphor; a real head-scratcher!) Thanks for sharing.

I thought it was pretty good too.

Comment

Working...
                                X