Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Oh, heck. It’s about time SNC gets a play-in game. (If Joe's prediction holds.)
    5 seconds (+ overtime). That's all it took. If Utica had hung on for 5:05, then it would have been an 8/4 split.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      I've got basically the same thing. In an ideal bracket the byes would go to UWSP, Genny, NU, and SNC.

Oswego (as usual) gets the benefit of a break, because hey they're special, they're Oswego.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
        I've got basically the same thing. In an ideal bracket the byes would go to UWSP, Genny, NU, and SNC.

Oswego (as usual) gets the benefit of a break, because hey they're special, they're Oswego.
        Unless they fly Oz to GB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Real Old #35 View Post
          Unless they fly Oz to GB.
          That would be an interesting development. But I've read (in this thread??) that the 500 mile rule is not set in impermeable concrete.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post

Considering how often western teams have gotten breaks sending them all straight to the quarterfinals no matter how low their rankings were, I don’t see how you can say that about Oswego.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
              That would be an interesting development. But I've read (in this thread??) that the 500 mile rule is not set in impermeable concrete.
              It’s not. But we also have to consider they will be flying three teams for the Frozen Four, so I don’t see them flying another earlier than that.
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

It’s not. But we also have to consider they will be flying three teams for the Frozen Four, so I don’t see them flying another earlier than that.
                Just spitballing...

If you think UWSP will host the FF. Could send Oswego to SNC and Augsburg to SP for the quarters. And if you think SNC might win - that could be two western teams to help attendance... and what’s the difference if the three flights are for the finals OR one for the quarters and two for the finals. But an Oswego win at SNC would mean a fourth flight then the next week... so that does decrease the odds of that senario

But it creates the possibility of two western teams for the FF
                Last edited by GB Puck Fan; 03-03-2019, 05:23 PM.
                St. Norbert College Green Knights
                NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                ---
                SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

If the final will be out west regardless and it’s really all about the dollars, then have Plymouth state play Manhattanville and the winner goes to Uwsp. Top seed gets the most favorable matchup in the quarterfinals, you very likely still end up with 3 flights total, and you double attendance at the frozen four.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arete19 View Post
                    If the final will be out west regardless and it’s really all about the dollars, then have Plymouth state play Manhattanville and the winner goes to Uwsp. Top seed gets the most favorable matchup in the quarterfinals, you very likely still end up with 3 flights total, and you double attendance at the frozen four.
                    This way does guarantee two western teams, which my idea did not. Could be better.... but methinks SNC will play Augsburg in the first round

Edit: sorry. Shouldn’t have said “guarantee”. Just thinking UWSP would win. Not a given of course.
                    Last edited by GB Puck Fan; 03-03-2019, 05:29 PM.
                    St. Norbert College Green Knights
                    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                    ---
                    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Arete19 View Post
                      Good point. As was GB post. But in both cases, you’re still gambling,
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

Good point. As was GB post. But in both cases, you’re still gambling,
                        If you lose the gamble in the quartfinals, then you hold the frozen four out east this year. You can go for the sure thing out west in 2021 in that case, but maybe you get lucky in 2021 and 4 west teams get in that year. Again, this is the way you try to maximize overall dollars. While it would benefit SNC and hurt Norwich this year, I actually hope it doesn’t happen because it would solidify the greed of the ncaa as the primary goal of the organization.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                          Considering how often western teams have gotten breaks sending them all straight to the quarterfinals no matter how low their rankings were, I don’t see how you can say that about Oswego.
                          I don't disagree, but I'd rather the beneficiary of the undeserved bye be anybody but Oswego.
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                            Oh well...hopefully they clean up their act before next season.
                            I’m pretty critical of the culture at Adrian, but I have to give credit to coach Krug last night. He pulled an incredibly upset, senior player off the ice after the ENG. The last 20 seconds would have been ugly with him out there. Maybe coach Krug is finally starting to get it.

Comment

Nah, SNC had to play a first round game in ‘11 or ‘12 as the tournaments #1 overall seed. They won it all that season.

No big deal. The best team in the tournament seems to win most every year, regardless if they received a bye to the quarters.
                              Last edited by altazo; 03-03-2019, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Oswego, haven't been relevant in 5 years, havent won it in over a decade. But yeah pitchforks and **** those guys. Let's just give the west the easy road again.

Is Oswego deserving of a Bye? Not in my opinion.

I'd prefer to host a first round anyways. Forget the bye, keep em fresh with games.

Comment

Working...
                                X