• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
    https://www.uscho.com/rankings/krach/d-iii-men/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quick glance, relatively similar but St. Norbert and Augsburg appear to be the big winners in comparison to the PWR. Augsburg jumps from 11 to 6 and St. Norbert from 5 to 3. Yes just two spots, but two very important spots over Oswego and Norwich who as of today, if you took the conference leaders would need at-larges. If St. Norbert needed an at large and all three of those teams lost, they've got a lot more breathing room with the KRACH than they do with the PWR.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
      In conclusion, I'm not at all convinced the two-game plus a mini game format helps bubble teams because it allows them the opportunity to lose more games in their conference tournaments.
      The upside is that it also affords them the opportunity to win more games - If Adrian had not lost that Friday game they would have the opportunity to go 3-1 if they lost in the finals. That would boost them. It is a double edged sword, which a contender should take advantage of. They didn't, but they did live to play another day.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        Quick glance, relatively similar but St. Norbert and Augsburg appear to be the big winners in comparison to the PWR. Augsburg jumps from 11 to 6 and St. Norbert from 5 to 3. Yes just two spots, but two very important spots over Oswego and Norwich who as of today, if you took the conference leaders would need at-larges. If St. Norbert needed an at large and all three of those teams lost, they've got a lot more breathing room with the KRACH than they do with the PWR.
        The various metrics all have their shortcomings, but here's how I'd rate them:

1. KRACH. The most thorough.

2. RPI. Not as thorough as the KRACH, but generally identical just the same.

3. PWR. The worst of the three. (Consider one H2H game trumping many COP, for example... There's too little comparative data in D-3 to choose this vehicle.)

Having said all of the above, any of them beats the snot out of the the moronic and secretive "RNK" construct.

We're seeing some progress in D-3, at long last.

Comment

See and as an old person I prefer the simplest method. W-T-L
          The Titanic only had one Captain..........
          "You're holding your mouth wrong." Jim Cole
          "Don't take any wooden nickels." Ray Rouse
          9 Time World Champion Boston Red Sox ('03,'12,'15,'16,'18,2004, '07, '13, '18)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            The various metrics all have their shortcomings, but here's how I'd rate them:

1. KRACH. The most thorough.

2. RPI. Not as thorough as the KRACH, but generally identical just the same.

3. PWR. The worst of the three. (Consider one H2H game trumping many COP, for example... There's too little comparative data in D-3 to choose this vehicle.)

Having said all of the above, any of them beats the snot out of the the moronic and secretive "RNK" construct.

We're seeing some progress in D-3, at long last.
            The PWR and RPI ranking is exactly the same down through 26 spots. Does it really matter which one is better...? Seems to me to be enough games to make them statistical the same.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              The PWR and RPI ranking is exactly the same down through 26 spots. Does it really matter which one is better...? Seems to me to be enough games to make them statistical the same.
              With only COP and H2H added to RPI, and RPI used as the tie-breaker, it is almost guaranteed that the team with the higher RPI will win the pairwise comparison. I'm not sure how it works in DI, but for DIII you might just as well stick with RPI.
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                With only COP and H2H added to RPI, and RPI used as the tie-breaker, it is almost guaranteed that the team with the higher RPI will win the pairwise comparison. I'm not sure how it works in DI, but for DIII you might just as well stick with RPI.
                I agree. And, having compared the results of the two metrics for years in D-1, I have rarely discovered any significant discrepancy between the two (as Russ noted below).

But I still prefer the... Never mind.
                Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-19-2019, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Latest bracket:

First Round
                  9 Augsburg @ 5 St. Norbert
                  12 Pymouth State @ 6 UMass Boston
                  11 Utica @ 7 Hobart
                  10 Salve Regina @ 8 Trinity

Quarterfinals
                  Augsburg/St. Norbert @ 1 UW-Stevens Point
                  Salve Regina/Trinity @ 2 Geneseo
                  Utica/Hobart @ 3 Norwich
                  Plymouth State/UMass Boston @ 4 Oswego

As far as setting up the semifnals, 1 gets lined up with 4, and 2 with 3. So the winner of the Stevens Point Regional will face the winner of the Oswego Regional, while the winner of the Geneseo Regional will meet the winner of the Norwich Regional.

Comment

Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
                    Latest bracket:
                    If the FF is a 3-1 East-West split, but the West representative is the number one overall seed, the committee will have an interesting decision to make.
                    #OneKnight

Comment

• Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                      If the FF is a 3-1 East-West split, but the West representative is the number one overall seed, the committee will have an interesting decision to make.
                      Oh come on, that decision was made a long time ago.
                      Oswego State 1980 Grad
                      (attended in one way or another from 1968-1988, don't ask..... )

Comment

• Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                        The FF has not been in the West since 2015.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

suck it up and fly three teams West.

Comment

Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
                            suck it up and fly three teams West.
                            Easy for you to say... you aren't paying for it!
                            Steve
                            Penn State Class of '95
                            Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

• Originally posted by spwood View Post
                              Easy for you to say... you aren't paying for it!
                              They've done it before......
                              Remy Babineaux
                              remyb616@gmail.com
                              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

• Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                                They've done it before......
                                On the Women’s side, I believe this was done in 2013. Travel costs were mitigated by chartering a plane to fly out all 3 East teams on... same for the return trip.
                                Dave
                                RIT - '90

Comment

Working...
                                X