Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

Originally posted by nefan View Post
    Curry never played Geneseo in the NCAA’s ? Not sure where you got that? They have been to Plattsburgh, Middlebury, Elmira, Norwich??
    You're right! It was Colby. I told you all I tried to forget everything about that game
    #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
      The more I look at Webb's Bracket B, the more I really like it for keeping bracket integrity more or less intact while conforming with the realities of the NCAA's requirements (sorry Norwich, for getting a 1st round game). I just wonder how much of a precedent the Curry example actually is. Curry is 584 miles from Geneseo, vs 884 miles between Oswego and St. Norbert. 84 miles is an extra hour and a half on the bus, whereas 884 miles would absolutely require a flight (I can't remember if Curry bussed it or not). Either way, it would be great if they were willing to fly the winner of that game out.
      How would you be keeping bracket integrity by requiring the #3 seed to have a play in game and reward the #4 and #8 seeds with first round byes?? And by the way I'm really feeling you sorrow over here if NU is required to play in.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
        Does anybody have the link to the selection show? I couldn't find it on ncaa.com yet.
        Here you go...

https://www.ncaa.com/sports/icehockey-men/d3
        SNC Men:
        Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
        NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
        SNC Women:
        O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
          The more I look at Webb's Bracket B, the more I really like it for keeping bracket integrity more or less intact while conforming with the realities of the NCAA's requirements (sorry Norwich, for getting a 1st round game). I just wonder how much of a precedent the Curry example actually is. Curry is 584 miles from Geneseo, vs 884 miles between Oswego and St. Norbert. 84 miles is an extra hour and a half on the bus, whereas 884 miles would absolutely require a flight (I can't remember if Curry bussed it or not). Either way, it would be great if they were willing to fly the winner of that game out.
          If you are over 500 miles, you get to fly if the school chooses. The NCAA can't force you to bus. That's why there is the 500 mile rule in the first place.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Norwich59 View Post
            How would you be keeping bracket integrity by requiring the #3 seed to have a play in game and reward the #4 and #8 seeds with first round byes?? And by the way I'm really feeling you sorrow over here if NU is required to play in.
            He said "more or less intact." He never claimed pure bracket integrity.

Either way, pure bracket integrity cannot be kept with the 500-mile rule. Webb's proposal gets closer to bracket integrity than other proposals.

EDIT: They just made Plattsburgh women (tied 2nd in PWR) play in the play-in game, because of the 500-mile rule. So much for their bracket integrity.
            Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 03-04-2019, 09:22 AM.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

It sets up 1/8, 2/7, 3/6 and 4/5 quarterfinals. That's what I mean about bracket integrity. The rest that you mentioned is unavoidable due to the 500 mile rule.
              #OneKnight

Comment

I would rather have the #3 seed have to play the worst team in the first round than the #1 seed have to play the #4 seed in the quarters. The way that Mathieu Webb has it seeded is the path of least resistance for the top 4 seeds to get into the quarterfinals and the final four. Yes the 3 seed has to play in the first round, but you are giving them the worst team in the rankings. The 4th seed having a bye vs the 3rd seed is irrelevant to me as in a perfect world, they would both have one. With the rules, it cannot be perfect this year someone has to pay. Does it make more sense to make life worse for the number 1 seed AND the number 4 seed by having them have to play each other to get in the final four or the number 3 seed having to play an extra game against the worst team instead of getting a bye in the first round. I am taking the situation that is better for two of the top 4 teams vs the one. Augs gets the extra benefit here in they fact they don't have to play in the first round, but they get "rewarded" by having to play the undefeated top rank team on the road. They are also the 8th ranked team, which is about the seed you would expect a top seed would play in the quarters.
                I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

Originally posted by knightsoftheround View Post
                  it sets up 1/8, 2/7, 3/6 and 4/5 quarterfinals. That's what i mean about bracket integrity. The rest that you mentioned is unavoidable due to the 500 mile rule.
                  ok! Let's go with plan B.

Comment

Originally posted by BetterInLakePlacid View Post
                    I would rather have the #3 seed have to play the worst team in the first round than the #1 seed have to play the #4 seed in the quarters. The way that Mathieu Webb has it seeded is the path of least resistance for the top 4 seeds to get into the quarterfinals and the final four. Yes the 3 seed has to play in the first round, but you are giving them the worst team in the rankings. The 4th seed having a bye vs the 3rd seed is irrelevant to me as in a perfect world, they would both have one. With the rules, it cannot be perfect this year someone has to pay. Does it make more sense to make life worse for the number 1 seed AND the number 4 seed by having them have to play each other to get in the final four or the number 3 seed having to play an extra game against the worst team instead of getting a bye in the first round. I am taking the situation that is better for two of the top 4 teams vs the one. Augs gets the extra benefit here in they fact they don't have to play in the first round, but they get "rewarded" by having to play the undefeated top rank team on the road. They are also the 8th ranked team, which is about the seed you would expect a top seed would play in the quarters.
                    Got it, but you don't take any team for granted either.

Comment

SNC got screwed.
                      5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                      2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

SNC got screwed.
                        I'm an Oswego homer and I still think they got too favorable of a matchup. Feel bad for the West, but then i also think they've gotten a lot of favorable matchups in the past few years. Tricky situation.

Comment

SNC got screwed.
                          SNC and UWSP got screwed.
                          I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

Did anybody notice that the host said the Frozen Four will be played at the highest remaining seed, with no qualifications? Not sure if the producers of the video are uninformed or if that's significant. I am guessing it is the former, because there are ALWAYS qualifications (e.g. submitting a bit, being able to host, etc).
                            #OneKnight

Comment

SNC has been a big beneficiary of this lately and it still doesn't feel right to me.
                              I take back what I said.
                              5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                              2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

The committee flipped Manhattanville and UNE.

And I think 800+ or 1000+ miles were too much for the committee to justify a "waiver" to the 500 mile guideline.
                                Last edited by joecct; 03-04-2019, 09:43 AM.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X