X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    It’s heated. Just not very well.

Before everyone goes apesh*t, my comparison was in capacity, number of locker rooms, working space, etc, and in that regard, Augsburg is no better choice at hosting than Hobart is.

However, all this is moot if Augsburg never put in a bid. Which has to be done by now. If not, it doesn’t matter if they have greatest facility in the world.
    The NCAA prefers a capacity of 1,000 for the Finals site. Having been to many games and skated there many times Augsburg would be a very good site for the finals. It is plenty warm and there is plenty of space for locker rooms, etc. With three eastern teams that no one cares about Augsburg would be a perfect finals site. How many eastern fans would actually bother to come?

Question, how many fans attended the Championship game last year in Lake Placid? Answer 1,830. What is the average championship attendance over the last ten years? Would only 800 seats, 200 less than 1,000 really be that much of an issue?
    Last edited by 4and20; 03-04-2019, 09:57 PM. Reason: Update previous year attendance
    4 & 20 The All-American Sister's
    SNC 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, & 2018 Mens DIII NCAA Champions & they have Women's Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      We really need a PWR calculator for next season. It would make the conference playoff season SO much more fun!
      I'm working on one.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by 4and20 View Post
        The NCAA prefers a capacity of 1,000 for the Finals site. Having been to many games and skated there many times Augsburg would be a very good site for the finals. It is plenty warm and there is plenty of space for locker rooms, etc. With three eastern teams that no one cares about Augsburg would be a perfect finals site. How many eastern fans would actually bother to come?

Question, how many fans attended the Championship game last year in Lake Placid? Answer 1,830. What is the average championship attendance over the last ten years? Would only 800 seats, 200 less than 1,000 really be that much of an issue?
        Posted this in the Championship Site thread:

10-year attendance average for the D3 men's championship: 2128
        2010 is eliminated from that average, there's no data on the attendance.
        The 3 years that fall below 1800 announced attendance were in: Utica, Minneapolis, Minneapolis.
        (Listed attendances: 1830 ('18), 1595 ('17), 2304 ('16), 1303 ('15), 1851 ('14), 2089 ('13), 3300 ('12), 1741 ('11), 0 ('10), 3141 ('09).

r

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          Please save us from the SUNYAC chest thumping that would follow
          HA! Pot meet kettle. Next to Platty, Norwich is the ......oh never mind

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26
            It wasn’t in Lake Placid last year. And the attendance has been posted several times here.
            Yes it was, I was there...
            SNC Men:
            Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
            NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
            SNC Women:
            O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by 4and20 View Post
              The problem with campus sites in my opinion isn't with total capacity, but the fact that even with team allotments it makes it much more likely that somebody who wants to attend the championship won't be able to, either because they didn't get one of their team's allotted tickets, or they weren't able to get into their home barn. At least with neutral sites, somebody who really wants to attend can be reasonably sure they can get in to the building.
              #OneKnight

Comment

• Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                The problem with campus sites in my opinion isn't with total capacity, but the fact that even with team allotments it makes it much more likely that somebody who wants to attend the championship won't be able to, either because they didn't get one of their team's allotted tickets, or they weren't able to get into their home barn. At least with neutral sites, somebody who really wants to attend can be reasonably sure they can get in to the building.
                Correct. And it makes it difficult to plan for the casual fan of Division III that just wants to go to the games regardless of who is in it. Are there many that do that? Probably not but when it’s in a place like Lake Placid where there are so many other things to do than the hockey games, it certainly is a draw for outside fans.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

even as an Elmira fan I have to admit the SUNYAC has two fo the top four teams......................
                  The Titanic only had one Captain..........
                  "You're holding your mouth wrong." Jim Cole
                  "Don't take any wooden nickels." Ray Rouse
                  9 Time World Champion Boston Red Sox ('03,'12,'15,'16,'18,2004, '07, '13, '18)

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    The production of these live shows are usually very ignorant of what they are producing. Just look at some of the pronunciations over the years. So, I take NOTHING of what they say seriously.
                    You mean like this year’s women’s selection show, where they repeatedly referred to the “9” teams who would be in the tournament while revealing the 10-team bracket?
                    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26
                      It wasn’t in Lake Placid last year. And the attendance has been posted several times here.
                      Then what the heck was I doing there last year? Watching the dog sled rides on Mirror Lake?
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Well, the last time two SUNYAC teams made the semifinals, they both crapped out. So, I already got my comeuppance.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Mathieu Webb has a wonderful rant about the NCAA in his latest column, "Tournament Selections Explained". Pretty much sums up all we've been b****** about here, but much more eloquently than we can!
                          Steve
                          Penn State Class of '95
                          Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

I will gladly sign on to all of his rant, and would add the whole lack of clarity about how the Frozen Four host will be decided to the list of Mickey Mouse policies of this Mickey Mouse enterprise. The NCAA owes it to the teams and the fans to be clear about how a host will be determined. Burying it in single sentence in a document from two years ago, and then issuing contradictory guidance since then, is anything but clear. I know there are people on this board who have heard the policy first hand from people in the know, but the rest of us shouldn’t have to rely on second hand information to know what’s going on.
                            #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                              I will gladly sign on to all of his rant, and would add the whole lack of clarity about how the Frozen Four host will be decided to the list of Mickey Mouse policies of this Mickey Mouse enterprise. The NCAA owes it to the teams and the fans to be clear about how a host will be determined. Burying it in single sentence in a document from two years ago, and then issuing contradictory guidance since then, is anything but clear. I know there are people on this board who have heard the policy first hand from people in the know, but the rest of us shouldn’t have to rely on second hand information to know what’s going on.
                              But even then, it wouldn't surprise me if those people like myself are made to look like fools when they decide to do something completely different...
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

So if for some outside chance Augsburg, Trinity , UMASS Boston and Hobart make it to the final four...Hobart gets to host in the Cooler...right?

Comment

Working...
                                X