Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    This whine is used over and over and over again. But it doesn't matter. As NUProf always jokes, the NCAA will give us a tiny bit of money and us D3 folks better be grateful for it.

But on a serious note, the NCAA establishes a budget. Whether you like the amount or not. And they expect each sport to stay within that budget. Now having said that, they will at times be flexible. And they have flown three teams (or more) during the course of a tournament. We'll see. IMO, it wouldn't surprise me if they put the championship weekend out west no matter how many flights it takes.
    I know I know. I guess it should have said exaggeration and sarcasm alert....
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

• Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
      And it’s where the jet picked up UWSP before stopping in GB to get SNC on the way to Lewiston ME, if I remember correctly.
      Bet the flight back was awkward...
      #OneKnight

Comment

For Stevens Point you fly to Central Wisconsin Airport is in Mosinee. That’s about 29 miles to KB Willett

And it’s where the jet picked up UWSP before stopping in GB to get SNC on the way to Lewiston ME, if I remember correctly.

And BILP - CWA has commercial service to MSP, ORD and DTW
        So you're telling me that instead of driving 100ish miles to the Green Bay airport, UWSP drove 30 miles and then flew 90 miles?
        5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
        2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

And BILP - CWA has commercial service to MSP, ORD and DTW
          And you're telling me this basic fact why?
          I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

• Originally posted by BetterInLakePlacid View Post
            And you're telling me this basic fact why?
            You said “unless you take a private jet you can’t fly to Stevens Point.”

I suppose, technically , that’s true. But I was pointing out that CWA is the airport that serves SP area.

And while there is the Stevens Point Muni Airport, a 20 minute drive to the airport (CWA) is certainly reasonable, and closer than the airport in many larger areas. And a flight to Green Bay, Madison or Milwaukee isn’t necessary.

Just some helpful geography for those thinking that for Point hosting they would have to fly to GRB
            Last edited by GB Puck Fan; 02-21-2019, 02:12 PM.
            St. Norbert College Green Knights
            NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
            NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
            NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
            ---
            SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
              Bet the flight back was awkward...
              St. Norbert flew home alone in 2014. The only time it shared a flight was out of Appleton on the way out in 2018.

Comment

Also for context, Norwich and Plattsburgh on the women's hockey side chartered a flight out of Burlington, Vt. in 2017 together. Flew out together and flew back in together. However, the women also had the consolation game so both teams played both days.

I believe Plattsburgh, Middlebury, Elmira all flew out of Albany, NY together in 2013 for the women's hockey final four in Superior, Wis. as well.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
                  Why would you fly into Madison when Appleton and even Green Bay are much closer? It takes 2 minutes to research these things before you post.
                  I looked a map. I did not realize Appleton had a commercial airport. A thousand pardons for my ignorance, you hockey puck!
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
                    the NCAA has money coming out it's *****, they just have to move it from one program to another. NCAA DI hoops makes more than enough money.
                    Unfortunately, despite all the noise about the importance of "student athletes," and the fact that there are a lot more of them in DIII than in DI, the NCAA provides 3% of its budget for DIII championships (DIII being of course the biggest division of the three). It is what it is, and worrying about what is fair or not fair gets us nowhere. I'm sure that it would be possible to get three flights (instead of one) for the "Less than 0 degrees Celsius 4", but it will probably mean that they will really hold the line on flights for one of the spring sports.
                    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      Unfortunately, despite all the noise about the importance of "student athletes," and the fact that there are a lot more of them in DIII than in DI, the NCAA provides 3% of its budget for DIII championships (DIII being of course the biggest division of the three). It is what it is, and worrying about what is fair or not fair gets us nowhere. I'm sure that it would be possible to get three flights (instead of one) for the "Less than 0 degrees Celsius 4", but it will probably mean that they will really hold the line on flights for one of the spring sports.
                      oh I don't honestly expect that but I can always complain
                      The Titanic only had one Captain..........
                      "You're holding your mouth wrong." Jim Cole
                      "Don't take any wooden nickels." Ray Rouse
                      9 Time World Champion Boston Red Sox ('03,'12,'15,'16,'18,2004, '07, '13, '18)

Comment

Mass-Boston loses to Hobart. That puts Norwich in the hypothetical AQ slot and will Mass-Boston drop down below the 4th AL slot?

Edit: Yup. Adrian slides in. ALs are
                        UWSP
                        Oswego
                        Hobart
                        Adrian

Mass-Boston beats Adrian in WPct but loses the all important RPI. I don't believe CoP factors in.
                        Last edited by joecct; 02-24-2019, 07:38 AM.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

One week to go and we see a couple more changes based off this past week's results.

SUNYAC - Geneseo (2)
                          CCC - Salve Regina (11)
                          MASCAC - Plymouth State (31)
                          MIAC - Augsburg (10)
                          NCHA - St. Norbert (5)
                          NEHC - Norwich (3)
                          NESCAC - Trinity (9)
                          UCHC - Utica (12)

Pool C - Stevens Point (1)
                          Pool C - Oswego (4)
                          Pool C - Hobart (6)
                          Pool C - Adrian (7)

Now we're back to lots of different scenarios for how to deal with Adrian. Adrian can play St. Norbert, Oswego, Hobart and Geneseo all without flying.

I think the fairest scenario I could come up with gives us this bracket. (It becomes an easier pill to swallow if Adrian beats St. Norbert in the NCHA final and Oswego beats Geneseo)

First Round:

Augsburg at St. Norbert
                          Plymouth State at Norwich
                          Utica at Hobart
                          Salve Regina at Trinity

Quarterfinals:

SNC/Augsburg at Stevens Point
                          Adrian at Oswego
                          Norwich/Plymouth vs. Hobart/Utica
                          Salve Regina/Trinity at Geneseo
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                            One week to go and we see a couple more changes based off this past week's results.

SUNYAC - Geneseo (2)
                            CCC - Salve Regina (11)
                            MASCAC - Plymouth State (31)
                            MIAC - Augsburg (10)
                            NCHA - St. Norbert (5)
                            NEHC - Norwich (3)
                            NESCAC - Trinity (9)
                            UCHC - Utica (12)

Pool C - Stevens Point (1)
                            Pool C - Oswego (4)
                            Pool C - Hobart (6)
                            Pool C - Adrian (7)

Now we're back to lots of different scenarios for how to deal with Adrian. Adrian can play St. Norbert, Oswego, Hobart and Geneseo all without flying.

I think the fairest scenario I could come up with gives us this bracket. (It becomes an easier pill to swallow if Adrian beats St. Norbert in the NCHA final and Oswego beats Geneseo)

First Round:

Augsburg at St. Norbert
                            Plymouth State at Norwich
                            Utica at Hobart
                            Salve Regina at Trinity

Quarterfinals:

SNC/Augsburg at Stevens Point
                            Adrian at Oswego
                            Norwich/Plymouth vs. Hobart/Utica
                            Salve Regina/Trinity at Geneseo
                            Just thought, but without the win....Adrian will drop back down below UMB. Their win% would drop to .707 and RPI would take a hit. UMB should pretty much remain steady.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                              Just thought, but without the win....Adrian will drop back down below UMB. Their win% would drop to .707 and RPI would take a hit. UMB should pretty much remain steady.
                              Correct, I think Adrian has to win to get in. A loss and I could see UMass Boston jumping back up into the last Pool C slot. If that's the case and the split is 9-3, it's a very easy bracket with the top 4 seeds all earning byes and we play down to 3 east teams, 1 west team.
                              Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 02-24-2019, 06:27 PM.
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                                Correct, I think Adrian has to win to get in. A loss and I could see UMass Boston jumping back up into the last Pool C slot. If that's the case and the split in 9-3, it's a very easy bracket with the top 4 seeds all earning byes and we play down to 3 east teams, 1 west team.
                                That is how I see it as well...
                                SNC Men:
                                Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                                NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                                SNC Women:
                                O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Working...
                                X