Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 132

Thread: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

  1. #21
    5x NCAA Champs - Pride of the West
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by 802Hockey View Post
    And I do understand sirnubs that it used to be unfair to the west but making that argument years later is just foolish.
    It's not foolish. It's a fact. Eastern fans were fine with the west getting hosed earlier this decade. Now the shoe is on the other foot and there's a bunch of crying about it back east. The west licks the tears.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Randolph, VT
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Nubs View Post
    It's not foolish. It's a fact. Eastern fans were fine with the west getting hosed earlier this decade. Now the shoe is on the other foot and there's a bunch of crying about it back east. The west licks the tears.
    Listen, I get it. I get that you feel the west earned this from the unfairness from the earlier years but with attitudes like that nothing would ever change or get any better...thatís really all Iím trying to say. Iím too young to have had an opinion or any knowledge of the matter back in those days but I would hope I could see the problem with the set up rather than Just use the excuse that Ďoh happened before the other way so this is totally fair and fine.í

  3. #23
    It's A Great Day For Hockey
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Titletown, USA
    Posts
    4,316

    Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

    Part of the problem is the math doesn't reduce well to the final four.

    The east has about 2/3 of the teams - something like 62 to 28, if I recall correctly. (I know that's not the exact numbers).

    That works well for 8 of the 12 teams in the field... 2/3

    But for the last four, either the east gets 3 of the 4 - 75% - and is 'over' represented, or it gets two - 50% - and is 'under' represented. And 1 or 2 is mismatched for the west, as well.
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17, 2018
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

  4. #24
    5x NCAA Champs - Pride of the West
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    272

    Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

    Quote Originally Posted by 802Hockey View Post
    Listen, I get it. I get that you feel the west earned this from the unfairness from the earlier years but with attitudes like that nothing would ever change or get any better...that’s really all I’m trying to say. I’m too young to have had an opinion or any knowledge of the matter back in those days but I would hope I could see the problem with the set up rather than Just use the excuse that ‘oh happened before the other way so this is totally fair and fine.’
    I never said it was fair. I just don't want to hear any complaining about it. Based on the regional aspect of all Division III championships several quality teams in every sport get eliminated sooner than they would if a "national" bracket was laid out. The complaining usually comes from the team/conference/region that is getting "screwed."

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Randolph, VT
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Nubs View Post
    I never said it was fair. I just don't want to hear any complaining about it. Based on the regional aspect of all Division III championships several quality teams in every sport get eliminated sooner than they would if a "national" bracket was laid out. The complaining usually comes from the team/conference/region that is getting "screwed."
    And the ones saying they donít want to ďhearĒ the complaining are the ones benefiting from it.

    I do get there is no true way to get a national bracket, in a perfect world would love to see more east and west teams face off.

  6. #26
    5x NCAA Champs - Pride of the West
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by 802Hockey View Post
    And the ones saying they donít want to ďhearĒ the complaining are the ones benefiting from it.

    I do get there is no true way to get a national bracket, in a perfect world would love to see more east and west teams face off.
    No one out east wanted to hear it when it happened to the west either. What goes around comes around.

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Randolph, VT
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Nubs View Post
    No one out east wanted to hear it when it happened to the west either. What goes around comes around.
    Yea I think youíve already said that a few times..

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,323

    Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

    Quote Originally Posted by 802Hockey View Post
    Having 4 teams fight for 2 FF spots and the other 8 teams fight for the final 2 FF spots just seems odd to me...dang travel
    Umm, did you look at last year's bracket...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,323

    Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

    Quote Originally Posted by snc1 View Post
    Sounds like WIAC sour grapes to me. If the east would win a championship more than once every 5, or 6 years it wouldnt be an issue.
    There was a time when the east won it every year and nobody gave a cr*p about the west...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    36,281

    Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Umm, did you look at last year's bracket...
    Yea - but last year used Rankings, etc. and now we have the PWR.

    Does the Committee want the 1st and 6th ranked teams to have a single game to get to the Frozen Final Four and make the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th ranked teams play 2 games?

    Our compatriots up in D1 on this site and on the other site mention "bracket integrity". I don't know if that mantra will apply to D3. If it does, then a 1/3 split seems logical. If they want to go west and maximize attendance then 2/2, but if the 2 west winners are Augsburg and Adrian, can they really afford to go West as the rinks are not large in terms of fannies.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

    ĒAny society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.Ē
    - Benjamin Franklin

    Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

    I want to live forever. So far, so good.

  11. #31
    Smoking in the selection room. XYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Spiez, Switzerland
    Posts
    9,204

    Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

    I don't know why people keep wasting time considering potential attendance as never once prior has evidence been generated, be it in written protocol or actual practice, that the bracket has been arranged with attendance in mind. Because it hasn't been and won't be, so I continue to fail to understand the slavish devotion to such mythology. It's also a waste of time to talk about potential hosts that didn't even bother bidding for the thing.
    "Yeah, because Iím the genius marketer, not a code freak like you guys. Besides, Iím wearing sandals so I am iconoclasting a little bit."

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont,USA
    Posts
    1,283

    Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

    Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    I don't know why people keep wasting time considering potential attendance as never once prior has evidence been generated, be it in written protocol or actual practice, that the bracket has been arranged with attendance in mind. Because it hasn't been and won't be, so I continue to fail to understand the slavish devotion to such mythology. It's also a waste of time to talk about potential hosts that didn't even bother bidding for the thing.
    Just for yucks and giggles does anyone know what schools have/have not applied to host?

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Plover
    Posts
    158

    Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

    Quote Originally Posted by PuckVoice View Post
    Just for yucks and giggles does anyone know what schools have/have not applied to host?
    I'm sure the NCAA knows who bid at this point.
    I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

    I was there for 27/92.

  14. #34
    Rocking 'The Stone'
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Retired in De Pere
    Posts
    3,526

    Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

    Quote Originally Posted by PuckVoice View Post
    Just for yucks and giggles does anyone know what schools have/have not applied to host?
    St. Norbert has...
    SNC Men:
    Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
    NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
    SNC Women:
    O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    36,281
    Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    I don't know why people keep wasting time considering potential attendance as never once prior has evidence been generated, be it in written protocol or actual practice, that the bracket has been arranged with attendance in mind. Because it hasn't been and won't be, so I continue to fail to understand the slavish devotion to such mythology. It's also a waste of time to talk about potential hosts that didn't even bother bidding for the thing.
    But isn't suitability of facility a criteria? Yea, I could look it up but 2 grandkids want to play with Granddad.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Plover
    Posts
    158

    Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

    Quote Originally Posted by pete99race View Post
    St. Norbert has...
    I would assume UWSP has as it has hosted Women's DIII Final Four Basketball before so hosting a DIII final is not a new concept for them.
    I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

    I was there for 27/92.

  17. #37
    5x NCAA Champs - Pride of the West
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    But isn't suitability of facility a criteria?
    No.

  18. #38
    Do You Believe in Miracles? YES!!!
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    West Chazy, NY
    Posts
    4,173

    Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    But isn't suitability of facility a criteria? Yea, I could look it up but 2 grandkids want to play with Granddad.
    I know there have to be four locker rooms with showers, plus an area for the officials (not sure if it has to be an official locker room) for the final four.
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

    If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

  19. #39
    elbojpb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Elmira, NY Hudson, Fl
    Posts
    1,932

    Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    But isn't suitability of facility a criteria? Yea, I could look it up but 2 grandkids want to play with Granddad.
    Hobart was allowed to host both NCAA and ECAC/W tourney games. Visiting locker room is so small that the 2nd and 3rd string goalies had to remain in the rink outside the locker room door, interacting with the fanbase heading to the concessions. I would say that suitability is likely not a factor.

  20. #40
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,272
    Quote Originally Posted by elbojpb View Post
    Hobart was allowed to host both NCAA and ECAC/W tourney games. Visiting locker room is so small that the 2nd and 3rd string goalies had to remain in the rink outside the locker room door, interacting with the fanbase heading to the concessions. I would say that suitability is likely not a factor.
    The final four is a different beast than single-game matchups with different requirements.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •