Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

It's A Great Day For Hockey
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    This whine is used over and over and over again. But it doesn't matter. As NUProf always jokes, the NCAA will give us a tiny bit of money and us D3 folks better be grateful for it.

But on a serious note, the NCAA establishes a budget. Whether you like the amount or not. And they expect each sport to stay within that budget. Now having said that, they will at times be flexible. And they have flown three teams (or more) during the course of a tournament. We'll see. IMO, it wouldn't surprise me if they put the championship weekend out west no matter how many flights it takes.
    I know I know. I guess it should have said exaggeration and sarcasm alert....

Hockey Knight in Boston

Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

Quote Originally Posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
    And itís where the jet picked up UWSP before stopping in GB to get SNC on the way to Lewiston ME, if I remember correctly.
    Bet the flight back was awkward...
    #OneKnight

For Stevens Point you fly to Central Wisconsin Airport is in Mosinee. Thatís about 29 miles to KB Willett

And itís where the jet picked up UWSP before stopping in GB to get SNC on the way to Lewiston ME, if I remember correctly.

And BILP - CWA has commercial service to MSP, ORD and DTW
    So you're telling me that instead of driving 100ish miles to the Green Bay airport, UWSP drove 30 miles and then flew 90 miles?
    5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

And BILP - CWA has commercial service to MSP, ORD and DTW
    And you're telling me this basic fact why?
    I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

It's A Great Day For Hockey
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterInLakePlacid View Post
    And you're telling me this basic fact why?
    You said ďunless you take a private jet you canít fly to Stevens Point.Ē

I suppose, technically , thatís true. But I was pointing out that CWA is the airport that serves SP area.

And while there is the Stevens Point Muni Airport, a 20 minute drive to the airport (CWA) is certainly reasonable, and closer than the airport in many larger areas. And a flight to Green Bay, Madison or Milwaukee isnít necessary.

Just some helpful geography for those thinking that for Point hosting they would have to fly to GRB
    Last edited by GB Puck Fan; Yesterday at 03:12 PM.

Seldom Informed Director

Quote Originally Posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    Bet the flight back was awkward...
    St. Norbert flew home alone in 2014. The only time it shared a flight was out of Appleton on the way out in 2018.

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey

Also for context, Norwich and Plattsburgh on the women's hockey side chartered a flight out of Burlington, Vt. in 2017 together. Flew out together and flew back in together. However, the women also had the consolation game so both teams played both days.

I believe Plattsburgh, Middlebury, Elmira all flew out of Albany, NY together in 2013 for the women's hockey final four in Superior, Wis. as well.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Nubs View Post
    Why would you fly into Madison when Appleton and even Green Bay are much closer? It takes 2 minutes to research these things before you post.
    I looked a map. I did not realize Appleton had a commercial airport. A thousand pardons for my ignorance, you hockey puck!
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

ĒAny society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.Ē
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Colorado Cadets Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sacole13 View Post
    the NCAA has money coming out it's *****, they just have to move it from one program to another. NCAA DI hoops makes more than enough money.
    Unfortunately, despite all the noise about the importance of "student athletes," and the fact that there are a lot more of them in DIII than in DI, the NCAA provides 3% of its budget for DIII championships (DIII being of course the biggest division of the three). It is what it is, and worrying about what is fair or not fair gets us nowhere. I'm sure that it would be possible to get three flights (instead of one) for the "Less than 0 degrees Celsius 4", but it will probably mean that they will really hold the line on flights for one of the spring sports.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Fomerly Known As Stu13

Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    Unfortunately, despite all the noise about the importance of "student athletes," and the fact that there are a lot more of them in DIII than in DI, the NCAA provides 3% of its budget for DIII championships (DIII being of course the biggest division of the three). It is what it is, and worrying about what is fair or not fair gets us nowhere. I'm sure that it would be possible to get three flights (instead of one) for the "Less than 0 degrees Celsius 4", but it will probably mean that they will really hold the line on flights for one of the spring sports.
    oh I don't honestly expect that but I can always complain
    The Titanic only had one Captain..........
    "You're holding your mouth wrong." Jim Cole
    "Don't take any wooden nickels." Ray Rouse
    9 Time World Champion Boston Red Sox ('03,'12,'15,'16,'18,2004, '07, '13, '18)

Thread Information