Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    100% agree. I hope it works. But I think the gophers have permanently lost some of the fanbase. The conference realignment coupled with seat realignment was pretty upsetting and I totally understand. Seats that have been in families for 20 years were taken away and given to someone else becasuse they pay more. That’s pretty offputting and the U should have recognized that.

The people who left because of the conference might come back eventually. The people who are upset about the seating and prices might have been lost forever.
    In case you might have missed Chip Scoggins' column in the Strib today, here's one quote on the "targeted" ticket price reduction:

"The rollout of their plan created some confusion, but here’s the gist: The cost of season tickets in more expensive seats largely will remain the same because of an increase in the scholarship seating donation charge. The school targeted sections that don’t require a donation because those areas are usually lacking fans."

http://www.startribune.com/ticket-pr...yle/508856492/
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

So they’re lowering ticket prices, but raising donation rates? After the new tax code eliminates such tax deductions?
      What kind of idiots do they have who makes this nonsense up?
      They must have given Lucia a position in with the administration
      Last edited by UMD21; 04-22-2019, 12:05 AM.
      I wanna go fast!

Comment

This is what corporate debt and overspending looks like while the University of Minnesota spends $1 billion of its $3.7 billion in expenses for fiscal year 2018 on "administrative expenses". Salaries of the top four administrators are nearly double the salaries of the top admin in the Minnesota State Legislature who have similar job responsibilities. If they cut the admin bloat, all ticket costs and donations could be drastically reduced. This month the state gov't put the squeeze on with new legislation that would require the University to devise a plan for cutting administrative costs by 10 percent ($100M) by July 2020 before receiving increased state investment for higher education.

Comment

Has anybody here ever requested ticket usage stats from the U? I bet they keep aggregated data values: SeasonTH% usage, corpie vs. private; single-gameTH, again corpie vs. private, section usage, opponent usage, days-of-the-week usage, etc.. They'd be foolish not to do so. Much of it could likely be available via Freedom of Information Act since it is a publicly funded organization.

I know Eric Vegoe was provided some data a few years ago, but I don't know the breakdown.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Doubtful they would ever release the corporate ratio info to him.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
              This is what corporate debt and overspending looks like while the University of Minnesota spends $1 billion of its $3.7 billion in expenses for fiscal year 2018 on "administrative expenses". Salaries of the top four administrators are nearly double the salaries of the top admin in the Minnesota State Legislature who have similar job responsibilities. If they cut the admin bloat, all ticket costs and donations could be drastically reduced. This month the state gov't put the squeeze on with new legislation that would require the University to devise a plan for cutting administrative costs by 10 percent ($100M) by July 2020 before receiving increased state investment for higher education.
              I thought Kaler wrote a very good letter to the Star Tribune disputing the notion that administrative costs are too high at Minnesota. He made a strong case. Personally I don't buy your line of thinking at all. The #1 think people always whine about with "public" anything is bloat. No private sector company is ever scrutinized to the degree public institutions are on the topic. I'm just not buying that somehow public institutions are able to "hide" their bloat from the public.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

1. Where is Eric Haula? Was he traded, or injured?
                2. (I realize this isn't Gopher talk, but am curious what people think and am too lazy to look elsewhere, but...) What did people think of the Major call in last nights Sharks/Knights game? I felt like it was a penalty that was made a major only because of the injury, which I have never liked. I didn't have a team in the game, so don't feel biased. But it just seemed like an unfortunate situation of catching Pavelski off balance that led to the outcome. (Of course it was no win for refs - call a minor and Shark fans are incensed) It made for a he.ll of a third period, but I just feel like a team is moving on based on a penalty being called on a feeling by a ref, not the letter of the law. (Not that I claim to know NHL rules inside and out.) I can understand majors when a play is made that specifically is recognized as having a high risk of injury (hit from behind at boards, malicious high stick, hit to head..) but this was a cross check off a faceoff that happens regularly (lust like cross checks in front of the net), but Pavelski was just off balance, and then fell into an approaching Vegas player heading towards the puck which then led to the bad fall. Didn't seem like intent was to injure, just win the battle for the puck. I probably won't think about it in five minutes, but if my team lost a game 7/chance to move on towards championship, based on that call, I wouldn't be happy. And I would hope that if my team were the one that won on that call, that I would feel lucky it got called.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  I thought Kaler wrote a very good letter to the Star Tribune disputing the notion that administrative costs are too high at Minnesota. He made a strong case. Personally I don't buy your line of thinking at all. The #1 think people always whine about with "public" anything is bloat. No private sector company is ever scrutinized to the degree public institutions are on the topic. I'm just not buying that somehow public institutions are able to "hide" their bloat from the public.
                  Didn't know you still even came here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
                    1. Where is Eric Haula? Was he traded, or injured?
                    Injured in November. Had knee surgery, might have been back in the later rounds.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                      Injured in November. Had knee surgery, might have been back in the later rounds.
                      He's probably back in the Twin Cities as we speak.
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        Land grant institutions across the country are routinely scrutinized by state legislatures and have been for well over 100 years. Maintaining the integrity of the land grant mission to provide affordable higher education to the non-elite is a historical precedent. The U has over 17,000 administrative staff, which is roughly one staff for every three students. That's far above the national avg. Meanwhile tuition increased over 100% after adjusting for inflation over the last decade amidst burgeoning student debt. This is why the MN state legislature this month refused to increase state funding until more accountability and a strategic plan for reducing admin costs is provided.

Williams and Mariucci will now sell alcohol to general admission to boost plummeting ticket and sales revenue, although it didn't put more butts in the seats at TCF last season.

It’s too easy to sit home, fire up the 55-inch flatscreen, flip on the Big Ten Network and sing The Rouser from your couch rather than shell out $4,500 for courtside basketball seats you can’t give away on the nights you aren’t there. Same with hockey and football. Who needs the hassle? And once you’re comfortable staying home, saving all that money, avoiding the traffic, what’s the incentive for coming back?

That, more than anything, is what Coyle and his staff are fighting.

They’re trying. Two years ago they instituted a Gopher Loyalty Program, a series of perks for season ticket holders that included tours, ticket upgrades and celebrity meet-and-greets. Before that, fans were lucky to get a thank you when the check cleared. The reduced-priced cheap seats and alcohol sales are the next logical steps.

But at Williams and Mariucci, in pricier sections for 2019-20, the “per seat contributions,” as the donations are called, rose even as ticket prices dropped. That negated any savings. The U fumbled a chance for goodwill by not reducing the donations, instead running a shell game on the price. And anyone who thinks fans will magically return for the privilege of paying $10 for a craft beer, $2 more than a six-pack costs at the liquor store up the street, needs to learn a little more about their customers. - Minnpost

Comment

So, anything new in the past month?

Comment

Clayton Phillips set to transfer to another program.

Comment

Any clue as to why?

Comment

Well he wasn't very good and guessing he's not used to that.

Comment

Working...
                                X