Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

The Gophers are reducing prices for their cheapest season tickets, but their more expensive packages will cost the same. In those more expensive sections, the ticket prices are lower but the mandatory scholarship seating donation price increased, making the changes a wash. - STrib.
    Hmmmm... Kind of a slap in the face to the STHs. This is a controversial revenue management decision by the AD. IMHO the finance and athletic depts. at the U are shooting themselves in the foot by raising the "donation fee" among their most faithful fans and corporate clients.

The new Tax Cuts and Jobs Act effective Jan. 1 this year completely eliminated deductions for business entertainment expenses. Before the tax bill, companies could deduct 50 percent of a variety of business entertainment expenses, such as client meals, event tickets, charitable event tickets including these "donation fees". Under the new law, no deduction is allowed for any activity generally considered to be entertainment, amusement or recreation.

I don't know what average corporate ownership of Gopher hockey season tickets is (pro sports is about 30%), but companies will scrutinize their budgets carefully and look to spend their dollars more wisely which means less butts in the seats at Mariucci. The same applies to individual STHs. The collateral damage will inevitably affect concessions revenue as well. I don't see the wisdom in ruffling the feathers of your faithful corporate and individual STHs who represent the backbone of your revenue stream.

"We live in a vibrant community and state where entertainment options are endless," Coyle said in the release. "We have to be extremely competitive and creative with the options we offer, while still making sure that we provide every opportunity for our student-athletes. We will continue to explore additional options for all our sports in the future."
    If Coyle wants to be competitive with ticket pricing, passing the savings onto STHs should be a top priority.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Those "fees" are tax deductible and therefore your cost per game will be lower.
      Not on the federal form anymore. That was part of the 2017 tax change.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        Those "fees" are tax deductible and therefore your cost per game will be lower.
        They aren't. That changed with the Trump/Ryan tax bill IINM.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
          Hmmmm... Kind of a slap in the face to the STHs. This is a controversial revenue management decision by the AD. IMHO the finance and athletic depts. at the U are shooting themselves in the foot by raising the "donation fee" among their most faithful fans and corporate clients.
          No, it's not. It's a wash for those people. They are not the people being priced out of tickets. It's the blue collar fans that are most impacted by high prices. The people who are buying center ice aren't living paycheck to paycheck, so to speak.

The new Tax Cuts and Jobs Act effective Jan. 1 this year completely eliminated deductions for business entertainment expenses. Before the tax bill, companies could deduct 50 percent of a variety of business entertainment expenses, such as client meals, event tickets, charitable event tickets including these "donation fees". Under the new law, no deduction is allowed for any activity generally considered to be entertainment, amusement or recreation.

I don't know what average corporate ownership of Gopher hockey season tickets is (pro sports is about 30%), but companies will scrutinize their budgets carefully and look to spend their dollars more wisely which means less butts in the seats at Mariucci. The same applies to individual STHs. The collateral damage will inevitably affect concessions revenue as well. I don't see the wisdom in ruffling the feathers of your faithful corporate and individual STHs who represent the backbone of your revenue stream.

If Coyle wants to be competitive with ticket pricing, passing the savings onto STHs should be a top priority.
          Good. **** those corporate seats. That's half the problem. Corporations aren't fans, fans are. You want butts in the seats? Get the tickets in the hands of the people who want to come but don't want to pony up $1,500 a year for two tickets.
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Good. **** those corporate seats. That's half the problem. Corporations aren't fans, fans are. You want butts in the seats? Get the tickets in the hands of the people who want to come but don't want to pony up $1,500 a year for two tickets.
            Pretty much, though I'm guessing those same corps will still buy them and they'll remain unused.

Comment

I think it's a misconception that those center-ice premium sections are mostly occupied by "corpies". I've been in 19 ever since the big shake-up after the points system was put in place, and the fans all around me have, for the most part, remained the same. They are definitely not the oft-maligned "corpies", which I believe are mostly confined to the suites above us.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

No, it's not. It's a wash for those people. They are not the people being priced out of tickets. It's the blue collar fans that are most impacted by high prices. The people who are buying center ice aren't living paycheck to paycheck, so to speak.
                IMO the Strib piece is overgeneralized. It's not a "wash" for every fan or companies that will take a harder look at their sport ticket holdings and marketing budgets. I don't have any stats about STHs on the red line, but I'm assuming they are not all corporate seats. Many of those seats are purchased by long time fans or smaller companies.

Corporations with huge marketing budgets that include sports ticket portfolios don't care much about increases or decreases in ticket prices or donation fees.

My comments were directed to individual STHs and companies, not corporations.

Nevetheless, your comment is misleading. Some corporations spend millions of dollars on a sport and entertainment ticket portfolio mainly for business development and retention (58%)*. According to D & B, an average corporate sports ticket portfolio (demand %) has NFL (30%), NBA (12%), MLB (17%), NHL (4%), College sports (6%) and other entertainment options (30%). It's estimated that over 40% of corporate tickets go unused every year.

Statistically, 67% of corporate sports tickets are requested 15-60+ days in advance (highest is 24%/30-60 days). Generally speaking, business guests that request Gopher tickets from a variety of sporting events well in advance are fans of Gopher hockey.

*Ticket ownership and trends by industry as classified by Dun & Bradstreet study of 1000 corporations.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  I think it's a misconception that those center-ice premium sections are mostly occupied by "corpies". I've been in 19 ever since the big shake-up after the points system was put in place, and the fans all around me have, for the most part, remained the same. They are definitely not the oft-maligned "corpies", which I believe are mostly confined to the suites above us.
                  And that must be why they remain open for games. Because they’re die hard fans, right?
                  Code:

Comment

And that must be why they remain open for games. Because they’re die hard fans, right?
                    For most games the more expensive "donation seats" were more occupied than the corner and the end zone seats (Sections 4 through 22). Perhaps that's why they raised the total cost for Zone 1 renewals the most.

Comment

That’s because those seats in the corners, especially 23-4,have gone unsold for years.
                      Code:

Comment

That’s because those seats in the corners, especially 23-4,have gone unsold for years.
                        Yes, and those seats are not, nor have they ever been purchased, for the benefit of the much maligned "corpies".

Comment

Yes, and those seats are not, nor have they ever been purchased, for the benefit of the much maligned "corpies".
                          And literally no one is arguing that. Those seats haven’t been sold because regular people have been priced out, people who used to sit there.
                          Code:

Comment

And literally no one is arguing that. Those seats haven’t been sold because regular people have been priced out, people who used to sit there.
                            No argument there. The fans who traditionally bought the lower priced tickets in those sections were typically the most price sensitive. We'll see how effective the new reduced pricing structure is in getting those seats filled in the coming season. Right now I don't think anyone knows.

Comment

No argument there. The fans who traditionally bought the lower priced tickets in those sections were typically the most price sensitive. We'll see how effective the new reduced pricing structure is in getting those seats filled in the coming season. Right now I don't think anyone knows.
                              100% agree. I hope it works. But I think the gophers have permanently lost some of the fanbase. The conference realignment coupled with seat realignment was pretty upsetting and I totally understand. Seats that have been in families for 20 years were taken away and given to someone else becasuse they pay more. That’s pretty offputting and the U should have recognized that.

The people who left because of the conference might come back eventually. The people who are upset about the seating and prices might have been lost forever.
                              Code:

Comment

100% agree. I hope it works. But I think the gophers have permanently lost some of the fanbase. The conference realignment coupled with seat realignment was pretty upsetting and I totally understand. Seats that have been in families for 20 years were taken away and given to someone else becasuse they pay more. That’s pretty offputting and the U should have recognized that.

The people who left because of the conference might come back eventually. The people who are upset about the seating and prices might have been lost forever.
                                This.

Comment

Working...
                                X