Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 340 of 641

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

  1. #321
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    28

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Agree 100%, you certainly can't begrudge or fault him for leaving and chasing a dream. I was just speaking from a pure fan's perspective, that he will be sorely missed because he meant so much to the team.

    I wish him nothing but the best.
    I agree - losing Robson is a big loss - but I can respect his desire to make it to the next level (especially with the state of goal tending in the NHL right now - maybe our guy will be a future Binnington or Hart.) Even Robb Stauber left after 3 -- if you have not heard the interview with Robb on Corey Koskie's podcast - check it out -- really interesting --

  2. #322
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    It's not mites, either. I think most competitive people would be just as ****ed. The guy ended his team's season and the careers of a large number of players he has likely grown to care about.

    I LOVE the passion and it's such a welcome change from what we had for years. Maybe it'll translate into a team that isn't one of the softest in the country year in and year out...
    Hockey is an emotional game. I played and coached in the US and Europe, so I know about passion and coaches' affinity and loyalty to their players. But there's a fine line between passion and rage. Rage will get a coach into trouble most of the time. If a coach cannot control his emotions in the heat of the moment, I've seen the results. Players start the goonery and the team suffers, along with their reputation. Best advice is stay professional, and take the high road, not the low road.

  3. #323
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,702

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    It's one thing to routinely act that way, that's a problem. But when a horrible call (opinion as neutral observer) helps pave the way for your season to end I can understand acting that way.

  4. #324
    Registered User Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,409

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    I disagree. I watched the play several times in slow motion. The incident happened near the red line and the ref was on the wall 10 ft. away outside the Gopher blueline. It was a judgment call but IMO could be either a hook or even interference.

    Sheehy never touches Theisen's stick, but his stick is parallel to the ice and he hits his glove on the lift AND collides with Theisen's left skate at the same time before either player touched the puck. Definitely not just a stick lift or a dive.

    Rule 58.1 Hooking - A player shall not impede the progress of an opponent by hooking with the stick or by using the stick in a reverse position to obtain the puck or prevent the opponent from playing the puck. Rule 59.1 Interference - A player shall not interfere with or impede the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck...etc.

    Whether one thinks it's a bad call or not, refs are human beings and they're not going to get it right every time. If you play this game long enough you learn to control your emotions and move on to control what you can control. In this case, the Gophers lost several puck battles on the PK that led to the GWG.

    Regarding Motzko's tirade of F-bombs after the game, IMO that's unnecessary and unprofessional. This is college, not the NHL. He did the same thing to Montgomery last season (HERE). Motzko has other options to express his disapproval of the call. Screaming F-bombs at the refs and inviting them to step outside live on camera while shaking hands with a Notre Dame coach with kids standing behind the glass in full view of it is not one of them.

    from what I could see Theisen skate moved into Sheehy.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX


    The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

    Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

    this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

  5. #325
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    It's one thing to routinely act that way, that's a problem. But when a horrible call (opinion as neutral observer) helps pave the way for your season to end I can understand acting that way.
    It's not a horrible call. At the very least it's interference, but I can see a judgment call for hooking. And it didn't end their season, errors on the Gopher PK did.

    According to the 2019-20 NCAA Ice Hockey Rule book it's a bench minor for a coach or other non-playing person connected with a team to use foul or abusive language; obscene gestures; threatening language or gestures; or other unsportsmanlike conduct to an official, or otherwise try to influence or intimidate an official either before or during a game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    from what I could see Theisen skate moved into Sheehy.
    Theisen was in puck pursuit, Sheehy was the aggressor and attempted to impede Theisen's movement to the puck with 1) a stick lift that hit Theisen's glove, not stick, (hooking) and 2) Sheehy's right skate moved towards Theisen's left skate and made contact (interference).

  6. #326
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,702

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    It was a horrible call to me and many others but you can obviously disagree. Haven't seen anyone else on here, Twitter defend the call but that's obviously your right.

  7. #327
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    It was a horrible call to me and many others but you can obviously disagree. Haven't seen anyone else on here, Twitter defend the call but that's obviously your right.
    Argumentum ad populum. In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "argument to the people") is a fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition must be true because many or most people believe it, often concisely encapsulated as: "If many believe so, it is so." BTW I have seen several that thought the call was legit.
    Last edited by SteveO; 03-19-2019 at 10:31 AM.

  8. #328
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,702

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Dear God...these Gopher fans put up with you all year? I have no doubt Jeff Jackson thought it was a good call!

  9. #329
    Registered User Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,409

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    It's not a horrible call. At the very least it's interference, but I can see a judgment call for hooking. And it didn't end their season, errors on the Gopher PK did.

    According to the 2019-20 NCAA Ice Hockey Rule book it's a bench minor for a coach or other non-playing person connected with a team to use foul or abusive language; obscene gestures; threatening language or gestures; or other unsportsmanlike conduct to an official, or otherwise try to influence or intimidate an official either before or during a game.



    Theisen was in puck pursuit, Sheehy was the aggressor and attempted to impede Theisen's movement to the puck with 1) a stick lift that hit Theisen's glove, not stick, (hooking) and 2) Sheehy's right skate moved towards Theisen's left skate and made contact (interference).
    If you have to go to that much effort to say it's not a horrible call, then it's a pretty iffy way to end a teams playoffs. Using your judgement criteria, how many calls were missed during the rest of the game? a hundred? I am not a fan of Motzko's actions, but if you are going to hire a guy to be passionate about something, it's probably what you can expect when something like this happens. Also, didn't all that happen after the game, so your rule isn't in play?

    As far as the skate, the problem there is all I get to see is these short video clips, and they are deceiving, cause I can't see what leads up to them. and, of course, the highlights from the Big Ten completely skip any mention, or video of it. I hate my cable company too much to uncut my cable.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX


    The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

    Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

    this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

  10. #330
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    155

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Bob's actions are not very professional but what else is he supposed to do? Sit there with a forlorn look on his face like the Don did for years? He rarely showed any emotion for the last few years of his tenure as head coach there and basically let Guentzel do all the yapping.

  11. #331
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,773

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Dear God...these Gopher fans put up with you all year? I have no doubt Jeff Jackson thought it was a good call!
    Lol!

    It's a bad call because the refs don't call that same infraction the 10+ times a game it happens and if you're going to call it that closely you need to be calling all of them for consistency purposes. If they'd been calling that consistently all game then sure, call it in OT. You'd still have people who are angry obviously because of biases but at least the call would be justifiable. When you just pick and choose when to call it and it just happens to go to the home team in OT that's just garbage reffing.

    Someone wrote a good research piece a while ago about NHL reffing and how inconsistent it is as well as when calls are more likely to be made: https://hockey-graphs.com/2018/05/28...te-in-the-nhl/

    edit: that's a different article than the one I was thinking of and I'll try and find it. But they concluded that 1 out of every 6 penalties were actually called in games.
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 03-19-2019 at 12:38 PM.

  12. #332
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    29,970

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    Argumentum ad populum. In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "argument to the people") is a fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition must be true because many or most people believe it, often concisely encapsulated as: "If many believe so, it is so." BTW I have seen several that thought the call was legit.
    lol
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  13. #333
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    29,970

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    According to the 2019-20 NCAA Ice Hockey Rule book it's a bench minor for a coach or other non-playing person connected with a team to use foul or abusive language; obscene gestures; threatening language or gestures; or other unsportsmanlike conduct to an official, or otherwise try to influence or intimidate an official either before or during a game.
    Jeebus, you're unreal. Also, you're a dingus.

    Ad hominem. blah blah blah, you're still a dingus.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  14. #334
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,773

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePowerConference View Post
    Bob's actions are not very professional but what else is he supposed to do? Sit there with a forlorn look on his face like the Don did for years? He rarely showed any emotion for the last few years of his tenure as head coach there and basically let Guentzel do all the yapping.
    Exactly, I appreciate him standing up for his players even if he lost his cool while doing it. That's what any good coach would do if the season (and the seniors playing career) ended after something that isn't called with any regularity.

  15. #335
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Lol!

    It's a bad call because the refs don't call that same infraction the 10+ times a game it happens and if you're going to call it that closely you need to be calling all of them for consistency purposes. If they'd been calling that consistently all game then sure, call it in OT. You'd still have people who are angry obviously because of biases but at least the call would be justifiable. When you just pick and choose when to call it and it just happens to go to the home team in OT that's just garbage reffing.
    All four penalties called in the game were hooking calls.

  16. #336
    He fixes the cable?
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    23,105
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    I have no problem moving on, but apparently you do.
    .

  17. #337
    Registered User Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,409

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    All four penalties called in the game were hooking calls.
    The biggest problem was that there was no hooking on the last one. I assume it is the worst call in Big Ten history. Any other blatantly wrong calls in playoff OT in the Big Tens short history?
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX


    The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

    Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

    this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

  18. #338
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    The biggest problem was that there was no hooking on the last one. I assume it is the worst call in Big Ten history. Any other blatantly wrong calls in playoff OT in the Big Tens short history?
    That's not what the evidence seems to indicate. Sheehy did not hit Theisen's stick on the stick lift. Granted the incident happened at full speed, but the video evidence in slow motion from a side view camera shows he made contact with Theisen's glove and pulled his stick back. That's a judgment call, but it's technically hooking. He also made contact at the same time with Thiesen's skate impeding his progress to the puck and that's technically interference. The combination of those two caused Theisen to lose his balance and pursuit of the puck. Sheehy then gained possession of the puck and then came the whistle.
    Last edited by SteveO; 03-19-2019 at 02:00 PM.

  19. #339
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,773

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    All four penalties called in the game were hooking calls.
    Ok? There wasn't even a hook on that play. And what about every non-hooking stick infraction that wasn't called?

  20. #340
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Ok? There wasn't even a hook on that play. And what about every non-hooking stick infraction that wasn't called?
    Wait a minute...you said this > "If they'd been calling that consistently all game then sure, call it in OT. You'd still have people who are angry obviously because of biases but at least the call would be justifiable." All four calls were hooking calls, so according to your statement, the OT call is "justified". Correct? Or do you want to retract that?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •