Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

SteveO, do fans buy tickets and just not go? I don't quite understand that. Why buy tickets if you're not gonna go? Seems like a waste of money, no?

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
      SteveO, do fans buy tickets and just not go? I don't quite understand that. Why buy tickets if you're not gonna go? Seems like a waste of money, no?
      I don't think no-shows was a huge attendance factor in this series. There simply were not many tics sold. Announced attendance for last night was 1835 and today 1911. I think butts in the seats was close to those numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
        Holy cow what happened to all the fans at Mariucci? I turned it there at intermission of the Duluth-St Cloud game and it was literally 80% empty. I mean, I understand that their attendance has fallen in recent years but it was like virtually completely empty.
        Beyond stupid idea to not include playoff games in the highest season ticket price in the country and to expect people to buy tickets to games they knew would be empty.

Comment

Originally posted by Go4PuckFan2.0 View Post
          Unless you’re trying to watch on Direct TV. It’s not being televised on FSN.
          Unless you were watching DirecTV in Central Ohio, where the game WAS available on FSN+.

Of course that doesn't apply to Friday's game. That one was available on FSD+, but was arbitrarily blacked out here. Making things a little worse, DirecTV didn't even own up to the blackout. They just displayed the DirecTV logo on FSD+. Our version of the channel guide had only a TBA message.

This kind of inconsistency has been going on for some time. If there was an actual reason behind the hit-and-miss coverage, I'd be willing to consider it with an open mind. But which games are offered and which games are blocked just seems utterly arbitrary...

Be that as it may, Congratulations to the Gophers on the series win.
          Last edited by pgb-ohio; 03-09-2019, 11:40 PM.

Comment

I’m thrilled about the win but I was really bothered by Michigan not pulling their goalie. I just don’t get it. Give it a shot at least. It doesn’t matter if you lose 4-1 or 5-1. I just felt like the coaches owed it to their seniors to at least give it a shot. I didn’t like that.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              I’m thrilled about the win but I was really bothered by Michigan not pulling their goalie. I just don’t get it. Give it a shot at least. It doesn’t matter if you lose 4-1 or 5-1. I just felt like the coaches owed it to their seniors to at least give it a shot. I didn’t like that.
              Pearson is good coach and that surprised me too. He looked disengaged in the third and commented afterwards that the team wasn't mentally prepared for the game. Down by 3 goals, I think he basically threw in the towel. I agree with you, I think he should have pulled Mann at 3 min. I'm sure the seniors and others were not happy about it in the locker room. If your season is on the line, let your players finish it off with some dignity. Never go down without a fight until the bitter end.

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
              Beyond stupid idea to not include playoff games in the highest season ticket price in the country and to expect people to buy tickets to games they knew would be empty.
              The sole purpose of moving to campus sites was to increase attendance for the B1G playoffs. I think Motzko was clearly disappointed in the turnout. He said thank you to those who showed up and commented, "we're playing for those who showed up, not those who didn't".

It makes no sense to abandon season ticket holders and make them pay for playoff tickets, when they're already paying an exorbitant extra cost cloaked as a "donation" scheme. But that's the finance dept. trying to manage their debt schedule without regard to perceptive marketing. Granted there were other factors that hindered attendance this weekend, but overall that was horrible marketing. That's an embarrassment to a historical program, the coaches, and the players.
              Last edited by SteveO; 03-10-2019, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Treat customers like sh-t, lose your business.
                Last edited by dxmnkd316; 03-10-2019, 08:42 AM.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

So if MN were to win next week, along with Penn State (or Wis), the Championship would be in MN. Right?

I am not expecting two more wins, but it sure seems more feasible now than it did two months ago.

And is Reedy going to give up one of his goals in the stats and give it to McLaughlin for making that save on McLaughlin's shot?
                  Last edited by Koho; 03-10-2019, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                    So if MN were to win next week, along with Penn State (or Wis), the Championship would be in MN. Right?

I am not expecting two more wins, but it sure seems more feasible now than it did two months ago.

And is Reedy going to give up one of his goals in the stats and give it to McLaughlin for making that save on McLaughlin's shot?
                    Yep. If they keep playing strong, two wins is doable. Looked like Reedy was reaching for a potential tip.

Comment

I don't follow the Gophers like I used to. Kiddo plays out east and they've already punched their ticket to the NCAA's. Yet a lot is being made out of attendance this weekend at Mooch. No doubt, it was more than surprising. I just really like Motzko telling his players to go salute those who are here. Players can't do a **** thing about attendance or marketing or ticket prices. All they can do is play. When they are on the ice, they judge the community support by looking into the stands. If you are a player, you almost have to say, "screw these people". Lets do it for ourselves and those who are here. May sound harsh to the Gopher faithful watching from the Lazy-Boy......yet if I'm on that ice, that's what I'm thinking. Nice Job Motz......

Comment

So if they pull off the win this weekend, would people rather play Ped State at home, or Ohio on the Road?

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                          So if they pull off the win this weekend, would people rather play Ped State at home, or Ohio on the Road?
                          Right now, just bring it on. I don't care who it is, because we'll have to beat better teams later on if we are to make a true run.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                            I am one of the season ticket holders who did not attend either game this weekend. No. 1 I was a little peeved that the first round of playoffs were not included in the season ticket package, like they always were in the good old WCHA days. No. 2 on Friday night there was a conflict with the high school Class AA semifinals, which I did attend along with ~19,500 hockey fans, some of which would have surely gone to the Gopher game if not for the conflict. Then on Saturday I went to the Gopher women's game vs. UMD at Ridder, and there was a conflict there as well, as by the time that game ended I would have missed the first period of the men's game. I decided to save the $25 (or whatever it was to get in) and stay until the women's game was over. I recorded the men's game on the DVR and watched it when I got home...

As far as attendance goes, the two women's games at Ridder drew 5,063 vs just 3,746 for the two men's games at Mariucci. Like the men, season ticket holders for the women had to pay to attend their league playoff games, albeit at a much more reasonable cost. But the lopsided difference in attendance between the two programs on the same weekend has to be a first in the 20 years the women have been playing.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by IronRange View Post
                              I don't follow the Gophers like I used to. Kiddo plays out east and they've already punched their ticket to the NCAA's. Yet a lot is being made out of attendance this weekend at Mooch. No doubt, it was more than surprising. I just really like Motzko telling his players to go salute those who are here. Players can't do a **** thing about attendance or marketing or ticket prices. All they can do is play. When they are on the ice, they judge the community support by looking into the stands. If you are a player, you almost have to say, "screw these people". Lets do it for ourselves and those who are here. May sound harsh to the Gopher faithful watching from the Lazy-Boy......yet if I'm on that ice, that's what I'm thinking. Nice Job Motz......
                              When I saw the attendance for the weekend, I thought, "Welcome to minor league hockey". I can remember playing in a lot of near empty arenas. But I highly doubt the guys were thinking, "screw these people" though. Sometimes having a light crowd takes the edge off the performance stress and helps a player to ease into his game much quicker.

It's an extra energy injection playing before a raucous crowd of crazed hometown hockey fans. But I don't think the players faulted those who chose to be at a once a year event like the MSHS hockey tourney or the WCHA women's championship. These guys have all played before small crowds before, so it's really no big deal. Once the game starts, getting that W is all they care about.

I agree, it was pretty classy for Motzko to stop the players at the bench gate and ask them to turn around to salute the student section. They were loud on Sat. as were the "faithful few" scattered throughout Mariucci.

Comment

It’s the only sport that doesn’t salute the fans after each game. Get out, sing the alma mater, and you’ll get it back double.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X