Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    The Athletic got approved at about 5:45 today, per KFAN/Dan Barreiro's show.
    No wonder, the Athletic is a big Supporter.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Game Day!

"Discipline, discipline, discipline" was the mantra Mel Pearson stressed this week in prep for this best out of three. Michigan took twelve penalties in the series at Yost with the Gophers burying 4/6 goals on the PP. Pearson expects the Gopher PP (24.2%/#7) to play a key role against their struggling PK (16.3%/#41).

In practice this week, Michigan spent more time than usual working on the penalty kill. This weekend’s series could be the end of the Wolverines’ season and stopping Minnesota with the man advantage is a top priority.

“We spent more time on it this week than we ever have,” Pearson said. “Because they’re so successful at it, that’s gonna be a key part of the game. … They get all their momentum from their power play.”
      The Wolverines have not been good on the road this season (5-9-0). But coming off a road sweep by Wisconsin, there's little chance for a Gopher sweep this weekend. With the season on the line, I'm thinking a typical Wolverine/Gopher speed war right down to the wire on Sunday with the Gophers moving on to the next round. Go Gophers!
      Last edited by SteveO; 03-08-2019, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        My plan for the weekend:

Friday, 6:00 & 8:00pm- ATTEND Boy's Class AA semifinals at Xcel (record Gopher men vs. Michigan at 6:00pm on FSN+)
        Saturday, 2:00pm - ATTEND Gopher women vs. UMD at Ridder (record Boy's A Championship at 12:00pm on Ch. 45)
        Saturday, 4:00pm - ATTEND Gopher men vs. Michigan at Mariucci (record Boy's AA Championship at 7:00pm on Ch. 45)
        Sunday, 2:00pm - ATTEND Gopher women vs. Wisconsin/Ohio State winner at Ridder
        Sunday, 4:30pm - ATTEND Gopher men vs. Michigan at Mariucci (if necessary, HOPE NOT!)
        Are you sure you don't want to work for me? I could pick up all this slack for you.
        You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
          Are you sure you don't want to work for me? I could pick up all this slack for you.
          Hahaha, no slack - best weekend of the year! When both Gopher teams have finished their seasons, I start getting ready for golf and the fishing opener. No time for working!
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Speaking of discipline; A question for the weekend. Will a blind behind-the-back pass lead to and Ugly Helmet scoring opportunity?

Comment

Has to be the smallest crowd in Mariucci history.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                So the playoff games are not included in the season tickets package?

Comment

Originally posted by directmagna View Post
                  So the playoff games are not included in the season tickets package?
                  No. $30 reg/$25 for season ticket holders.

1300 reported pre-sale. There's not even half that there tonight. I'm sure tomorrow will be worse, given the weather and the way this game is going.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    My plan for the weekend:

Friday, 6:00 & 8:00pm- ATTEND Boy's Class AA semifinals at Xcel (record Gopher men vs. Michigan at 6:00pm on FSN+)
                    Saturday, 2:00pm - ATTEND Gopher women vs. UMD at Ridder (record Boy's A Championship at 12:00pm on Ch. 45)
                    Saturday, 4:00pm - ATTEND Gopher men vs. Michigan at Mariucci (record Boy's AA Championship at 7:00pm on Ch. 45)
                    Sunday, 2:00pm - ATTEND Gopher women vs. Wisconsin/Ohio State winner at Ridder
                    Sunday, 4:30pm - ATTEND Gopher men vs. Michigan at Mariucci (if necessary, HOPE NOT!)
                    Prep45.com and you can watch them while in Dinkytown.

I'm watching EP roll Blaine right now.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                      No. $30 reg/$25 for season ticket holders.

1300 reported pre-sale. There's not even half that there tonight. I'm sure tomorrow will be worse, given the weather and the way this game is going.
                      Wow. So the boxscore attendance of 1835 was not a misprint? This is further proof of something, and my money is on further proof that attending sporting events in person is a dying pastime. The weather still tonight was OK wasn't it?

Comment

Weather was fine. No one gives a **** about the big ten. The Gophers are the program most negatively affected by the conference shakeup in the nation.

Not including playoff tickets in the season ticket package was obviously going to cause this. They wanted to "save money" even though they are the most expensive tickets in the land.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                          Wow. So the boxscore attendance of 1835 was not a misprint? This is further proof of something, and my money is on further proof that attending sporting events in person is a dying pastime. The weather still tonight was OK wasn't it?
                          Weather was fine tonight. HS tourney going on, no attendance issues there. Dunno if MN Pumpkin Pushing was at home tonight or not, but there were playing. Wild were away, so no idea on those fans' decisions to watch somewhere (bar or home). I think there was one other sporting event going on, but not sure. No excuse for lack of Gopher attendance, though. For me, I have a multitude of reasons, and Fridays are a beech to begin with: I got out of work 15 minutes before puck drop, and I refuse to be late for a game.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

This weekend was not part of the season ticket package so that didn't help.
                            I also have HS tickets and since the games overlap buying Gopher tickets was not really an option for me.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                            Twenty red lights in his honor
                            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                              Looked like there couldn't have been 200 people in the stands. Players and people paid to be there outnumbered fans.

125 arrogant but lonely fans.
                              Last edited by burd; 03-08-2019, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                                This weekend was not part of the season ticket package so that didn't help.
                                I also have HS tickets and since the games overlap buying Gopher tickets was not really an option for me.
                                I think there were a few factors affecting attendance, two of which you mentioned. A 6pm start time on a Friday is always a bad idea. I don't think the "I hate the Big Ten" was a major factor though.

It's also noteworthy that there was a hockey game tonight and the Gophers came back from 2-0 with three unanswered goals and won it in OT.

Gophers were severely out played and out shot in the first two periods (11 total SOG). Puck possession time was clearly lopsided in favor of Michigan who had several grade As. But I thought the D did well to box out, block shots and clog lanes, and Robson appeared energized and sharp tonight as well. Sheehy's top-shelf backhand goal in the second was the spark the Gophers needed for a comeback.

Despite the Wolverines attention this week to playing more disciplined hockey, they handed the Gophers 6 PP. The final one in OT was the dagger on a nice feed from Pitlick to McManus in front, who punched it by Mann. The Gophers are 6-1 in their last seven, with 5 of those wins against ranked teams (OSU, ND, ASU). With the rollercoaster ride of Ws and Ls in this tortured season, I hesitate to say it, but this team appears to be peaking at the right time.

The big news was what happened to Quinn Hughes who left the game in the third after blocking a shot off his foot and did not return in OT. Pearson said the injury isn’t serious and x-rays showed no fracture. Hughes reportedly suffered a bruise and if the swelling subsides so he can get his skate on, he'll be good to go on Sat.

And if the Wolverines are eliminated, Canucks GM Jim Benning won’t wait long to make that call. “We’ll get right on it,” said Benning. “We want him to concentrate on the weekend and his team and as soon as he’s out, we’ll contact the agent and family and see what their intentions are and go from there.”

It’s not a stretch to suggest there is a much anticipated intention for Hughes to go pro and join the Canucks’ roster as soon as possible in time to face the New York Rangers on Wednesday at Rogers Arena. But if the swelling doesn’t subside and there’s significant discomfort, I would think there's no rush to burn a contract season by signing and playing in the NHL this season.

Tomorrow night will be a dog fight as Michigan tries to keep their season alive and while the Gophers are playing for a chance to move on. Again special teams will play a big role.

Comment

Working...
                                X