Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Yeah it's a bit much. Also I'd be fine with not scheduling them as that's completely within our rights (I assume we haven't already agreed to an away series with them?).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    Goonery update:

Meanwhile, the WCHA which is responsible to adjudicate disciplinary action against this goon squad, added one more game to Jacob Wilson's flying contact hit to the head penalty on Sampo Ranta which resulted in a beautiful row of stitches. The two game suspension means Wilson will not play again unless ASU reaches the FF. The weird twist to the story is Wilson and Ranta are former teammates with the Sioux City Musketeers in the USHL.

Ranta Hit

And Wilson was captain of that Musketeers team. The hit was out of character for him.
    That said, I saw ASU play UNO back in November, and ASU gooned it up at the end of that 4-0 loss. And Tech fans were outraged about ASU’s play last year. So, definite trend developing

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    And Wilson was captain of that Musketeers team. The hit was out of character for him.
    That said, I saw ASU play UNO back in November, and ASU gooned it up at the end of that 4-0 loss. And Tech fans were outraged about ASU’s play last year. So, definite trend developing
    ASU is UND of the South circa 200x.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Weather for Friday nights game at 6pm against Mich. seems ok, but they're talking 12+ in. of the white stuff all day Saturday with game time @ 4pm.

On top of that, Big Ten wrestling championships (Williams Arena - Saturday 10am and runs throughout the day. Again noon on Sunday), women's hockey WCHA championship (Ridder Arena - 2pm and 5pm on Saturday, followed by the championship game on Sunday 2pm), Minnesota State High School League boys hockey (at Mariucci, Consolation finals 10am Friday and 9am Saturday) and the Minnesota Short Course Championships (Aquatic Center - 8am Friday-Sunday and runs throughout the day) are all competing on campus this weekend. Prepare for traffic chaos.
    Last edited by SteveO; 03-07-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Lucia Apologist

They better have cops down there assisting. Of course they won’t.

The combination of bad start times, weather and events probably means fewer butts in the seats, especially on Sat. That takes the edge off home ice advantage.

Good thing they've only sold about a thousand tickets each night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Good thing they've only sold about a thousand tickets each night.
    Serious?! Better near empty than being at Yost, I guess. Yost is a tough place for visiting teams.

My plan for the weekend:

Friday, 6:00 & 8:00pm- ATTEND Boy's Class AA semifinals at Xcel (record Gopher men vs. Michigan at 6:00pm on FSN+)
    Saturday, 2:00pm - ATTEND Gopher women vs. UMD at Ridder (record Boy's A Championship at 12:00pm on Ch. 45)
    Saturday, 4:00pm - ATTEND Gopher men vs. Michigan at Mariucci (record Boy's AA Championship at 7:00pm on Ch. 45)
    Sunday, 2:00pm - ATTEND Gopher women vs. Wisconsin/Ohio State winner at Ridder
    Sunday, 4:30pm - ATTEND Gopher men vs. Michigan at Mariucci (if necessary, HOPE NOT!)
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    My plan for the weekend:

Friday, 6:00 & 8:00pm- ATTEND Boy's Class AA semifinals at Xcel (record Gopher men vs. Michigan at 6:00pm on FSN+)
    Saturday, 2:00pm - ATTEND Gopher women vs. UMD at Ridder (record Boy's A Championship at 12:00pm on Ch. 45)
    Saturday, 4:00pm - ATTEND Gopher men vs. Michigan at Mariucci (record Boy's AA Championship at 7:00pm on Ch. 45)
    Sunday, 4:30pm - ATTEND Gopher men vs. Michigan at Mariucci (if necessary, HOPE NOT!)

Nice gourmet schedule. Always tough calls on Friday and Saturday during State tourney time. Stay safe.
    Last edited by SteveO; 03-07-2019 at 05:36 PM.

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators

Pardon me for crashing the party, boys. What are your opinions on Michael Russo not getting press credentials for the MSHSL tourney because THE ATHLETIC has a "paywall"? I THINK Russo's quite good when I've heard him.

Politics.

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Politics.
    I'm ****ing shocked. 😒

Lucia Apologist

I think that’s fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Pardon me for crashing the party, boys. What are your opinions on Michael Russo not getting press credentials for the MSHSL tourney because THE ATHLETIC has a "paywall"? I THINK Russo's quite good when I've heard him.
    The Athletic got approved at about 5:45 today, per KFAN/Dan Barreiro's show.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    The Athletic got approved at about 5:45 today, per KFAN/Dan Barreiro's show.
    No wonder, the Athletic is a big Supporter.

Game Day!

"Discipline, discipline, discipline" was the mantra Mel Pearson stressed this week in prep for this best out of three. Michigan took twelve penalties in the series at Yost with the Gophers burying 4/6 goals on the PP. Pearson expects the Gopher PP (24.2%/#7) to play a key role against their struggling PK (16.3%/#41).

In practice this week, Michigan spent more time than usual working on the penalty kill. This weekend’s series could be the end of the Wolverines’ season and stopping Minnesota with the man advantage is a top priority.

“We spent more time on it this week than we ever have,” Pearson said. “Because they’re so successful at it, that’s gonna be a key part of the game. … They get all their momentum from their power play.”
    The Wolverines have not been good on the road this season (5-9-0). But coming off a road sweep by Wisconsin, there's little chance for a Gopher sweep this weekend. With the season on the line, I'm thinking a typical Wolverine/Gopher speed war right down to the wire on Sunday with the Gophers moving on to the next round. Go Gophers!
    Last edited by SteveO; 03-08-2019 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    My plan for the weekend:

Are you sure you don't want to work for me? I could pick up all this slack for you.
    You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Quote Originally Posted by captain beefheart View Post
    Are you sure you don't want to work for me? I could pick up all this slack for you.
    Hahaha, no slack - best weekend of the year! When both Gopher teams have finished their seasons, I start getting ready for golf and the fishing opener. No time for working!

Speaking of discipline; A question for the weekend. Will a blind behind-the-back pass lead to and Ugly Helmet scoring opportunity?

Thread Information