• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    1. I had the data, so why not?

2. Yes
    What exactly are you trying to figure out? One of the discussions centered on if there has been a change in parity since the new CBA, combined with the shift (around early to mid-200's) towards recruiting at an earlier and earlier age. I have no idea how recruiting went in the early years of hockey (and we know there was a stretch where Denver just brought in older Canadians) so why not start at around 1970? If you are not going to look at that question, what are you trying to analyze?

Comment

I was just curious. There wasn’t a reason.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
        Just generally speaking I would think a better way of examining parity would be to figure out how many different teams are making the tournament (without an autobid) as a percentage of all NCAA teams and comparing that to the pre-2005 percentage. Like if the same schools (Like say the Boston schools, UMN, WI, Michigan) were constantly making it before 2005 and now you have more teams like UMass, Providence, and UNO making it, there's probably a way to measure this and find out how much parity has changed since then. In order to truly measure parity you need to look at how successful teams are over the course of a 40 (or so) game season and see if there's a greater variety of teams having success (measured via PWR or KRACH perhaps) than pre-2005.
        If you're interested in mathematical modeling for predictive purposes, the best approach is multivariate multiple regression model with at least two criterion and several predictor variables. Depending on how much accuracy you'd like the results to represent, you may want to control for various covariates (eg. playoff experience, SOS, offensive and defensive ratings, etc.).

If you want to research the comparison of teams between pre-2006 and post-2006 then a methodology using a t-test (including for example a Bonferroni adjustment) and two-way ANOVA is sufficient to compare the pre and post-2006 results against your hypothesis.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
          If you're interested in mathematical modeling for predictive purposes, the best approach is multivariate multiple regression model with at least two criterion and several predictor variables. Depending on how much accuracy you'd like the results to represent, you may want to control for various covariates (eg. playoff experience, SOS, offensive and defensive ratings, etc.).

If you want to research the comparison of teams between pre-2006 and post-2006 then a methodology using a t-test (including for example a Bonferroni adjustment) and two-way ANOVA is sufficient to compare the pre and post-2006 results against your hypothesis.
          Makes sense, I didn't have as much exposure to multivariate regression in school but I can see how that'd be useful. And you're right I was gonna say something about controlling for SOS because of teams like ASU this season.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
            Makes sense, I didn't have as much exposure to multivariate regression in school but I can see how that'd be useful. And you're right I was gonna say something about controlling for SOS because of teams like ASU this season.
            It's multivariate because you need two criterion or dependent variables to test the hypothesis. To do this right with a high internal validity and reliability, this project would involve quite a bit of data collection. As you stated, the single elimination format lends itself to a degree of randomness. One bad night for a favorite or one stellar night from an underdog can lead to the inevitable upset. So this research would need to focus heavily on the perceived differences between the NCAA tournament and the NCAA regular season.

I think it's good research project though. If you're interested in pursuing it, I'd be keen to help you crunch the data analysis using regression analysis (maybe logistic).

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
              It's multivariate because you need two criterion or dependent variables to test the hypothesis. To do this right with a high internal validity and reliability, this project would involve quite a bit of data collection. As you stated, the single elimination format lends itself to a degree of randomness. One bad night for a favorite or one stellar night from an underdog can lead to the inevitable upset. So this research would need to focus heavily on the perceived differences between the NCAA tournament and the NCAA regular season.

I think it's good research project though. If you're interested in pursuing it, I'd be keen to help you crunch the data analysis using regression analysis (maybe logistic).
              You need to stop talking approaches and just team up with MR. Spreadsheet (dxmn) to have him hand you the data you need and just do it.

Comment

Rem Pitlick gets a spot on the murals. Good.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                  Rem Pitlick gets a spot on the murals. Good.
                  I remember watching the team open their season against the two Alaska schools (up there) and marveling at the freshman's ability to shoot the puck. It was immediately obvious that the coaches had recruited a real winner. Glad his contributions are being recognized by giving him a place on the murals.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                    What exactly are you trying to figure out?
                    I can't really tell from the discussion either. I would like to figure out a ranking system that gets the Gophers into the post season every year. Please provide ideas. Here are a few for starters:

Don't count the games over the Christmas break. the Gophers always play terribly in them. And the Gophers might have a player playing in WCJ
                    Over-weight the games against the previous year NCAA champions (hey, the Gophers can almost always beat UMD)
                    Open the field to 32 teams (the NHL pretty much let's in the top 50%)
                    Give some additional credit for any game against NCHC teams even if they lose (at least they were brave enough to schedule them)

Comment

Originally posted by Gunninwiththerods View Post
                      I can't really tell from the discussion either. I would like to figure out a ranking system that gets the Gophers into the post season every year. Please provide ideas. Here are a few for starters:

Give some additional credit for any game against NCHC teams even if they lose (at least they were brave enough to schedule them)
                      That would take big stones instead of little berries.

Comment

Gophers cut season ticket prices!!

@LetsPlay_Hockey: Gophers announce slash in men's hockey season ticket prices ($200 decrease over 2 years). Lowest get-in price now $500 (~$25 per game). Home slate will include 2-game series with UND, home-and-home vs. UMD, and Mariucci Classic with SCSU, Minnesota State & Bemidji State. https://***********/GopherSports/sta...25367018950659
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Gophers cut season ticket prices!!

@LetsPlay_Hockey: Gophers announce slash in men's hockey season ticket prices ($200 decrease over 2 years). Lowest get-in price now $500 (~$25 per game). Home slate will include 2-game series with UND, home-and-home vs. UMD, and Mariucci Classic with SCSU, Minnesota State & Bemidji State. https://***********/GopherSports/sta...25367018950659
                          Ya, they lowered the price of season tickets but they did not point out that they are raising the per seat extortion fees $300 to $500, $200 to $400 and $100 to $200. They are still screwing the season ticket holders, $45 per game for an arena that is at best 35% full is ridicules.
                          4 & 20 The All-American Sister's
                          SNC 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, & 2018 Mens DIII NCAA Champions & they have Women's Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by 4and20 View Post
                            Ya, they lowered the price of season tickets but they did not point out that they are raising the per seat extortion fees $300 to $500, $200 to $400 and $100 to $200. They are still screwing the season ticket holders, $45 per game for an arena that is at best 35% full is ridicules.
                            Ya, for my two seats the seat donation fee is going from $600 to $1,000, a 67% increase! I am definitely going to explore my options.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Mine went down $100. Zone 4.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Those "fees" are tax deductible and therefore your cost per game will be lower.
                                Last edited by Slap Shot; 04-19-2019, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X