Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930313233 LastLast
Results 581 to 600 of 641

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

  1. #581
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,144

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Watched the WJSS (World Junior Summer Showcase) Finland/Canada and USA/Sweden games on NHL Network yesterday. Lots of recent NHL draft choices scattered throughout, but most are on the USA squad.

    Sampo Ranta showed some great speed as the Fins clobbered Canada 8-3. Ranta is leading all scorers after 7 games in the 11-game tournament at USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth, Mich which includes USA, Finland, Canada and Sweden.

    It's part of the tryout process for the 2020 IIHF World Junior Championships, which will be held Dec. 26-Jan. 5 in the Czech Republic. Ranta was one of the last players cut from the Finnish squad in 2019 that went on to win the tournament’s gold medal, so he's pulling out all the stops hoping to make the 2020 Fin team.

    Blake McLaughlin and Ryan Johnson are on the USA squad. Blake McLaughlin has spent considerable time with trainer Cal Dietz so far this summer, and has put on some weight. His compete level was strong and added a goal and assist in USA's shellacking of Sweden 6-0 yesterday. This is McLaughlin’s second on-ice camp of the summer after he traveled to Southern California in late June for the Anaheim Ducks development camp.

    He was second on the Gophers among rookie scorers with five goals and 15 assists in 35 games last season. I expect Blake will elevate his game next season. The BMW line (Burke/McLaughlin/Walker) was fast and productive, a bright spot for the Gophers last season and if Motzko keeps them together, they'll be exciting to watch.

    USA plays Finland on Friday Aug. 2 @ 4pm and the last game of the WJSS on Sat. @ 4pm vs Canada.

  2. #582
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,144

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Yesterday the Fins got off to a commanding lead against a slow starting USA squad. USA came back in 3rd and nearly tied it up in the last minute but fell short to the Fins 6-5.

    Sampo Ranta had a nice breakaway for a goal and he leads all scorers going into the final day of the WJSS vs Sweden (1pm). USA vs Canada rivalry in the final game (4pm).

    Finland vs USA HIGHLIGHTS

  3. #583
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,198

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    Yesterday the Fins got off to a commanding lead against a slow starting USA squad. USA came back in 3rd and nearly tied it up in the last minute but fell short to the Fins 6-5.

    Sampo Ranta had a nice breakaway for a goal and he leads all scorers going into the final day of the WJSS vs Sweden (1pm). USA vs Canada rivalry in the final game (4pm).

    Finland vs USA HIGHLIGHTS
    I happened to see Ranta's breakaway goal yesterday, and my immediate thought was, "Hope we see more of that when he's wearing a Gopher sweater". Based on that one play I won't be surprised if he's chosen as one of the team's shootout specialists on a regular basis.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  4. #584
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,144

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    I happened to see Ranta's breakaway goal yesterday, and my immediate thought was, "Hope we see more of that when he's wearing a Gopher sweater". Based on that one play I won't be surprised if he's chosen as one of the team's shootout specialists on a regular basis.
    He looked fast, competed hard and was strong around the net throughout the whole tourney. With all the top draft choices, I was surprised he led in scoring. I expected more last year, but a breakout year for Sampo Ranta would be huge.

    Ryan Johnson got the final goal of the tourney as USA beat Canada 5-3. I thought he played solid conservative D, didn't jump in and join the rush. But he skates well, exits the zone with skill, and he's got a nice shot. He'll be solid on the blueline for the Gophers.

    USA vs Canada HIGHLIGHTS
    Last edited by SteveO; 08-03-2019 at 06:16 PM.

  5. #585
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,198

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    USA vs Canada HIGHLIGHTS
    Have game recorded, and plan to watch tomorrow. Will pay special attention to Johnson, as from your description his ability to break the puck out by making the controlled right play without taking undue risk is something the Gophers could really use.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  6. #586
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    2,674

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    He looked fast, competed hard and was strong around the net throughout the whole tourney. With all the top draft choices, I was surprised he led in scoring. I expected more last year, but a breakout year for Sampo Ranta would be huge.

    Ryan Johnson got the final goal of the tourney as USA beat Canada 5-3. I thought he played solid conservative D, didn't jump in and join the rush. But he skates well, exits the zone with skill, and he's got a nice shot. He'll be solid on the blueline for the Gophers.

    USA vs Canada HIGHLIGHTS
    Forgot about these games and happened to just catch end of second and third of USA Canada.

    So how did McLaughlin look?
    For Wild Fans, seemed like Caufield was noticeable, but did Boldy not make team?
    How did Brink look?

    And yes, hoping for Ranta to turn into the player I thought he was going to be after the first couple games.

    Gophs need a number of things to fall into place, including a number of player to step up and finding strong goaltending. A lot of unknowns with such a young team.

  7. #587
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,144

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    Forgot about these games and happened to just catch end of second and third of USA Canada.

    So how did McLaughlin look?
    For Wild Fans, seemed like Caufield was noticeable, but did Boldy not make team?
    How did Brink look?

    And yes, hoping for Ranta to turn into the player I thought he was going to be after the first couple games.

    Gophs need a number of things to fall into place, including a number of player to step up and finding strong goaltending. A lot of unknowns with such a young team.
    McLaughlin unfortunately didn't see a lot of ice time vs Canada. Sandelin had him as a 13th forward, so he subbed in for a few shifts in the Canada game, but that was it. USA was loaded down with top draft picks. Overall, IIRC he had a G and A in the tourney. Trying to find some chemistry by subbing in with various linemates in a short tourney can be frustrating, although you could tell his speed was there.

    Boldy was on the team, and had some nice looks against the Fins. I liked the puck movement from Boldy, he looked confident and creative with the puck, a true playmaker with a quick release shot. Brink was feisty and ended up in a fight during the Canada game, high compete level...excellent speed.

    Caufield is an excellent sniper in space, accurate hard shot, but not a great stickhandler with tremendous speed to blow by players on open ice. Needs to be paired with a skilled playmaker (eg. Hughes was his linemate). But I didn't see him playing the corners much. IMO Cole Caufield plays with a lot of confidence and competes hard like he has something to prove with his smaller stature. Definitely a potential B1G Rookie of the Year candidate.

  8. #588
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,198

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    SteveO, very much appreciate your reports.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  9. #589
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,144

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    SteveO, very much appreciate your reports.
    Thanks, my pleasure D2D

    Draft picks on the WJSS USA squad per round:

    First Round 11
    Second Round 7
    Third Round 4
    Fourth Round 3
    Fifth Round 3

    I think with Ranta leading all scorers and Ryan Johnson delivering a solid D performance, they're both a lock for the 2020 WJC. Although Blake McLaughlin's compete level was consistent, he had limited ice time and with high end draft choices as competition for a roster spot, there's a good chance he might not make the cut.

    If so, we may only be missing a couple guys for the Mariucci Classic, which is good considering PWR implications at that stage against either SCSU or MSUM. Always looking down the road.

  10. #590
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,198

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    If so, we may only be missing a couple guys for the Mariucci Classic, which is good considering PWR implications at that stage against either SCSU or MSUM. Always looking down the road.
    I guess the question then becomes: How many will each of those teams likely be missing?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  11. #591
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south sioux city, ne
    Posts
    1,254

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    I guess the question then becomes: How many will each of those teams likely be missing?
    We don't have anyone that young at Kato.

  12. #592
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,198

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    We don't have anyone that young at Kato.
    Thanks for the info, purple. That leaves St. Cloud, do they have any possibilities for the World Juniors?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  13. #593
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,144

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Thanks for the info, purple. That leaves St. Cloud, do they have any possibilities for the World Juniors?
    Line chart and healthy scratches from the USA vs Canada game: HERE

    From what I can tell, there were no SCSU players on the USA team. The final cut for the 2020 WJC will come off this roster. Team USA is in a tough grouping again and opens the 2020 WJC vs Canada on Thurs. Dec. 26. IMO with all the high end draft picks on the USA squad, the WJC is a "must see" tournament.

    Group A

    TEAM/2019 FINISH


    Finland/Gold
    Switzerland/Fourth
    Sweden/Fifth
    Slovakia/Eighth
    Kazakhstan/Ninth


    Group B

    TEAM/2019 FINISH


    United States/Silver
    Russia/Bronze
    Canada/Sixth
    Czech Republic/Seventh
    Germany/Promoted

  14. #594
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south sioux city, ne
    Posts
    1,254

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    Line chart and healthy scratches from the USA vs Canada game: HERE

    From what I can tell, there were no SCSU players on the USA team. The final cut for the 2020 WJC will come off this roster. Team USA is in a tough grouping again and opens the 2020 WJC vs Canada on Thurs. Dec. 26. IMO with all the high end draft picks on the USA squad, the WJC is a "must see" tournament.

    Group A

    TEAM/2019 FINISH


    Finland/Gold
    Switzerland/Fourth
    Sweden/Fifth
    Slovakia/Eighth
    Kazakhstan/Ninth


    Group B

    TEAM/2019 FINISH


    United States/Silver
    Russia/Bronze
    Canada/Sixth
    Czech Republic/Seventh
    Germany/Promoted
    I don't recall exactly, but I thought Brent Larson was mentioned as one of Sandelin's possible assistants.

  15. #595
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    31,614

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    Line chart and healthy scratches from the USA vs Canada game: HERE
    That Tonka team from 2 years ago could have gone undefeated (although they still won it all), and last year with Brink...

  16. #596
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,198

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    IMO with all the high end draft picks on the USA squad, the WJC is a "must see" tournament.
    The WJC has always been my favorite tournament to watch (only exception being when the Gophers make it to the Frozen Four )
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  17. #597
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,144

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    The WJC has always been my favorite tournament to watch (only exception being when the Gophers make it to the Frozen Four )
    The 2020 WJC is really going to be competitive. I don't think there's ever been this many 1st round NHL draft picks in the tourney. 24 of the 31 first rounders will be in the tourney: USA/11, Canada/7, Sweden/4, Finland/2. It's gonna be fun to watch.

  18. #598
    Legend in everybodys mind
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, MN
    Posts
    7,880

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    That Tonka team from 2 years ago could have gone undefeated (although they still won it all), and last year with Brink...
    IMO, Edina should have been the number one seed.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

  19. #599
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    31,614

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by 4four4 View Post
    IMO, Edina should have been the number one seed.
    Bless your heart.

  20. #600
    Legend in everybodys mind
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, MN
    Posts
    7,880

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Bless your heart.
    Who am I kidding Edina should always be the number one seed regardless of how anybody else has done during the year. The community has won 13 state boys championships, and they still want Giles fired for not winning more. They really had no business not winning back to back championships the last two years with all their talent. It's really inexcusable to be honest. Even though EHA has brought home 71 state titles the most in the state and have been runner-up 47 times also most in the state they want all the coaches who lost 47 times to step down. Like the Edina people say we only hang championships we wouldn't have any room for the second, third, fifth place finishes. Win or go bust.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •