Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I'm guessing it's from Twitter but that place is full of idiots so...
    Let it be clear: I do not do Twitter.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I remember Motzko saying in an interview at the State Fair, "This team is going to surprise some people". Ya think? Surprised by sweeps of Notre Dame and Ohio State on the road and surprised by losses to Sparty, STL and Ferris St. I'm thinking split this weekend against ND in their final B1G series. If so, my early prediction is we play the Badgers at Mariucci in the first round, which I think we can win 2/3.

2018-19 BIG TEN PRESEASON POLL

Ohio State
      Michigan
      Notre Dame
      Minnesota
      Penn State
      Wisconsin
      Michigan State

Final Big Ten Standings Prediction

Team GP Pts

Ohio State 24 47
      Notre Dame 24 37
      Gophers 24 36
      Michigan 24 36
      Penn St 24 35
      Wisconsin 24 31
      Mich St 24 30
      Last edited by SteveO; 02-20-2019, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        I'm guessing it's from Twitter but that place is full of idiots so...
        I don't even now how to twitter. But guessing few if any of them would see this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          I believe this to a very fair, and accurate, summary of the series. Well said, Koho. I am very anxious to see what happens this coming weekend. Based on what we saw against OSU, I'm optimistic that the Gophers will do well. We shall see.
          I always have some optimism, but this team has been up and down for two years. So I am not expecting them to suddenly be consistent the rest of the season.

Comment

After an excellent start the Irish have had some difficulty as of late. I don't know if this will cause them to be extra motivated to reverse the recent trend, or if we are catching them at a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
              1. You've already mentioned this multiple times.
              2. I haven't seen anyone suggesting he should be fired. One person questioning if Lucia was really that bad and if Motzko was really an improvement isn't the same as someone asking for him to be fired (at least that is what I remember). Even on GPL where there are a couple people who typically can't see any positive, I don't recall reading anyone suggesting this.
              1. Some people don't read back.
              2. The underlined is a very fair assessment, but it has been more than one person, whether it be FB, Twitter, here, GPL, etc. Some are out there. Note: I don't do GopherHole. From what I hear, they make Twitter look smart.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                Not sure I agree with that assessment. I think Friday's game was the best effort the Gophs have put forth in a while, maybe for the season. There were a number of times I noticed OSU forechecking hard where it took a number of passes clicking in a row and hustle by every player on the ice just to escape their zone, or the neutral zone. OSU wasn't sitting back. And when OSU possessed the puck, I saw a Gopher team where every player was pressing, often creating a turnover. I didn't see much of the standing around and reaching for pucks or leaving the third guy uncovered in the slot that has plagued this team for stretches of most games this season. They were winning puck battles based on hustle, not on OSU standing around. Nothing was easy that they did.

Saturday wasn't quite the same effort and I think OSU did have more urgency, but for the first half of the game, I still feel like the Gophs pressured well. But they did start to go more into a defensive shell as the game went on and they got the big lead. Don't know how many times I saw a Gopher player in the third gain possession in their end, have time to hit a player with a pass, but instead just lob it out of the zone to get a clear. They started trying not to lose, rather than trying to win. They made their shots count though. That is the way hockey is. I fell like last weekend, while they didn't give the effort to get a win, the games still weren't as lopsided as the scores, but PSU just were hitting the shots those nights and MN wasn't.

So I think more players than Robson deserve credit for these wins. I still think that, while maybe not a top 10 team talent-wise, this team is more skilled than their record indicates and can play with any team in the country if they put forth an effort like they did on Friday night.
                Like I said I really can't comment too much on the Friday game, I only saw part of the third period. So I was just speculating, 2 shots in 20 minutes (in the 2nd) is absolutely atrocious though and indicates to me that something was off for OSU that game, to say the least. That's not to say the gophers couldn't have been doing things well but that's ridiculous and this team isn't that good at shot suppression generally speaking. Their goalie fell over on one of the goals too, that certainly didn't hurt our cause.

Saturday I agree with everything you said, earlier on they were creating odd man situations with the stretch pass and getting guys behind the D. That certainly wasn't happening as much later on and yeah, they packed it in at which point they basically just relied on Robson to make a bunch of spectacular saves at the end to preserve the W. That's not to say that he's the only person who deserves credit for the result but he was the main reason they won Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                  Like I said I really can't comment too much on the Friday game, I only saw part of the third period. So I was just speculating, 2 shots in 20 minutes (in the 2nd) is absolutely atrocious though and indicates to me that something was off for OSU that game, to say the least. That's not to say the gophers couldn't have been doing things well but that's ridiculous and this team isn't that good at shot suppression generally speaking. Their goalie fell over on one of the goals too, that certainly didn't hurt our cause.

Saturday I agree with everything you said, earlier on they were creating odd man situations with the stretch pass and getting guys behind the D. That certainly wasn't happening as much later on and yeah, they packed it in at which point they basically just relied on Robson to make a bunch of spectacular saves at the end to preserve the W. That's not to say that he's the only person who deserves credit for the result but he was the main reason they won Saturday.
                  A little puck luck on Sat. too with Robson missing the glove save on Jobst's shot and hitting the crossbar with under 1 min. left. But 3 GA and 43 saves by Robson (.935) was one of his best outings this season.

Comment

Whee.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                      Whee.
                      Once again, a very good start, but then a Jekyll & Hyde finish. My sister, who had not been to a Gopher game in years, observed that after the first period "they looked like two different teams" the rest of the way. She also asked, "Why do the Gophers always play like they're killing a penalty whenever the puck is their zone?"

Good questions, for which I had no good answer.

Comment

Color me surprised...another B1G dip on the Gopher rollercoaster. Needless to say, Motzko was really ****ed off after another bipolar effort tonight. Good first period lead, but the 2nd and 3rd was not Gopher hockey. Does anyone remember Gopher hockey? It's been a while.

BMW had a total of 3 SOG (1 G). Couple missed opportunities by Pitlick, a little surge at the end for a few seconds, but overall an all too familiar fail coming off a good weekend. So it's a MUST win tomorrow (4:30pm start?) or lose home ice for the B1G tourney.

Comment

2 thoughts -
                          does anyone else find Ben Clymer a supercilious pompous *** as a color man?
                          does anyone else thing naming lines clever little 3 letter acronyms is asinine and was never anything we did in our past and don't need to start now?

Comment

I don't mind the line nickname(s).

Comment

Originally posted by directmagna View Post
                              2 thoughts -
                              does anyone else find Ben Clymer a supercilious pompous *** as a color man?
                              does anyone else thing naming lines clever little 3 letter acronyms is asinine and was never anything we did in our past and don't need to start now?
                              Um
                              https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ice_hockey_line_nicknames

Comment

Whee!

Comment

Working...
                                X