Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
    Just wanted to say as an impartial observer that I think the penalty call in OT was complete BS. I was also impressed by the passion that Bob showed after the goal. I loved the lip reading on the B10 feed. I also heard he got into it downstairs with the head of officiating--shows his passion and dedication. I felt like you guys were playing well down the stretch and deserved a fair chance to get into the tourney. It was painful to watch your season get blown up by such a bad call. That should not happen ever!
    I disagree. I watched the play several times in slow motion. The incident happened near the red line and the ref was on the wall 10 ft. away outside the Gopher blueline. It was a judgment call but IMO could be either a hook or even interference.

Sheehy never touches Theisen's stick, but his stick is parallel to the ice and he hits his glove on the lift AND collides with Theisen's left skate at the same time before either player touched the puck. Definitely not just a stick lift or a dive.

Rule 58.1 Hooking - A player shall not impede the progress of an opponent by hooking with the stick or by using the stick in a reverse position to obtain the puck or prevent the opponent from playing the puck. Rule 59.1 Interference - A player shall not interfere with or impede the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck...etc.

Whether one thinks it's a bad call or not, refs are human beings and they're not going to get it right every time. If you play this game long enough you learn to control your emotions and move on to control what you can control. In this case, the Gophers lost several puck battles on the PK that led to the GWG.

Regarding Motzko's tirade of F-bombs after the game, IMO that's unnecessary and unprofessional. This is college, not the NHL. He did the same thing to Montgomery last season (HERE). Motzko has other options to express his disapproval of the call. Screaming F-bombs at the refs and inviting them to step outside live on camera while shaking hands with a Notre Dame coach with kids standing behind the glass in full view of it is not one of them.

A coach or other non-playing person connected with a team shall not use foul or abusive language; obscene gestures; threatening language or gestures;
    or other unsportsmanlike conduct to an official, or otherwise try to influence or intimidate an official either before or during a game.

Comment

Can everyone just acknowledge that there is a person that disagrees so they can move on?
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
        Can everyone just acknowledge that there is a person that disagrees so they can move on?
        "so they"? I have no problem moving on, but apparently you do.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO
          I have no problem moving on...but apparently you do.
          I posted a few times yesterday about a completely different topic regarding the team. Try again.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            i posted a few times yesterday about a completely different topic regarding the team. Try again.
            Ok.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
              Regarding Motzko's tirade of F-bombs after the game, IMO that's unnecessary and unprofessional. This is college, not the NHL. He did the same thing to Montgomery last season (HERE). Motzko has other options to express his disapproval of the call. Screaming F-bombs at the refs and inviting them to step outside live on camera while shaking hands with a Notre Dame coach with kids standing behind the glass in full view of it is not one of them.
              It's not mites, either. I think most competitive people would be just as ****ed. The guy ended his team's season and the careers of a large number of players he has likely grown to care about.

I LOVE the passion and it's such a welcome change from what we had for years. Maybe it'll translate into a team that isn't one of the softest in the country year in and year out...

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Agree 100%, you certainly can't begrudge or fault him for leaving and chasing a dream. I was just speaking from a pure fan's perspective, that he will be sorely missed because he meant so much to the team.

I wish him nothing but the best.
                I agree - losing Robson is a big loss - but I can respect his desire to make it to the next level (especially with the state of goal tending in the NHL right now - maybe our guy will be a future Binnington or Hart.) Even Robb Stauber left after 3 -- if you have not heard the interview with Robb on Corey Koskie's podcast - check it out -- really interesting --

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                  It's not mites, either. I think most competitive people would be just as ****ed. The guy ended his team's season and the careers of a large number of players he has likely grown to care about.

I LOVE the passion and it's such a welcome change from what we had for years. Maybe it'll translate into a team that isn't one of the softest in the country year in and year out...
                  Hockey is an emotional game. I played and coached in the US and Europe, so I know about passion and coaches' affinity and loyalty to their players. But there's a fine line between passion and rage. Rage will get a coach into trouble most of the time. If a coach cannot control his emotions in the heat of the moment, I've seen the results. Players start the goonery and the team suffers, along with their reputation. Best advice is stay professional, and take the high road, not the low road.

Comment

It's one thing to routinely act that way, that's a problem. But when a horrible call (opinion as neutral observer) helps pave the way for your season to end I can understand acting that way.

Comment

I disagree. I watched the play several times in slow motion. The incident happened near the red line and the ref was on the wall 10 ft. away outside the Gopher blueline. It was a judgment call but IMO could be either a hook or even interference.

Sheehy never touches Theisen's stick, but his stick is parallel to the ice and he hits his glove on the lift AND collides with Theisen's left skate at the same time before either player touched the puck. Definitely not just a stick lift or a dive.

Rule 58.1 Hooking - A player shall not impede the progress of an opponent by hooking with the stick or by using the stick in a reverse position to obtain the puck or prevent the opponent from playing the puck. Rule 59.1 Interference - A player shall not interfere with or impede the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck...etc.

Whether one thinks it's a bad call or not, refs are human beings and they're not going to get it right every time. If you play this game long enough you learn to control your emotions and move on to control what you can control. In this case, the Gophers lost several puck battles on the PK that led to the GWG.

from what I could see Theisen skate moved into Sheehy.
                      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        It's one thing to routinely act that way, that's a problem. But when a horrible call (opinion as neutral observer) helps pave the way for your season to end I can understand acting that way.
                        It's not a horrible call. At the very least it's interference, but I can see a judgment call for hooking. And it didn't end their season, errors on the Gopher PK did.

According to the 2019-20 NCAA Ice Hockey Rule book it's a bench minor for a coach or other non-playing person connected with a team to use foul or abusive language; obscene gestures; threatening language or gestures; or other unsportsmanlike conduct to an official, or otherwise try to influence or intimidate an official either before or during a game.

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                        from what I could see Theisen skate moved into Sheehy.
                        Theisen was in puck pursuit, Sheehy was the aggressor and attempted to impede Theisen's movement to the puck with 1) a stick lift that hit Theisen's glove, not stick, (hooking) and 2) Sheehy's right skate moved towards Theisen's left skate and made contact (interference).

Comment

It was a horrible call to me and many others but you can obviously disagree. Haven't seen anyone else on here, Twitter defend the call but that's obviously your right.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            It was a horrible call to me and many others but you can obviously disagree. Haven't seen anyone else on here, Twitter defend the call but that's obviously your right.
                            Argumentum ad populum. In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "argument to the people") is a fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition must be true because many or most people believe it, often concisely encapsulated as: "If many believe so, it is so." BTW I have seen several that thought the call was legit.
                            Last edited by SteveO; 03-19-2019, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Dear God...these Gopher fans put up with you all year? I have no doubt Jeff Jackson thought it was a good call!

Comment

It's not a horrible call. At the very least it's interference, but I can see a judgment call for hooking. And it didn't end their season, errors on the Gopher PK did.

According to the 2019-20 NCAA Ice Hockey Rule book it's a bench minor for a coach or other non-playing person connected with a team to use foul or abusive language; obscene gestures; threatening language or gestures; or other unsportsmanlike conduct to an official, or otherwise try to influence or intimidate an official either before or during a game.

Theisen was in puck pursuit, Sheehy was the aggressor and attempted to impede Theisen's movement to the puck with 1) a stick lift that hit Theisen's glove, not stick, (hooking) and 2) Sheehy's right skate moved towards Theisen's left skate and made contact (interference).
                                If you have to go to that much effort to say it's not a horrible call, then it's a pretty iffy way to end a teams playoffs. Using your judgement criteria, how many calls were missed during the rest of the game? a hundred? I am not a fan of Motzko's actions, but if you are going to hire a guy to be passionate about something, it's probably what you can expect when something like this happens. Also, didn't all that happen after the game, so your rule isn't in play?

As far as the skate, the problem there is all I get to see is these short video clips, and they are deceiving, cause I can't see what leads up to them. and, of course, the highlights from the Big Ten completely skip any mention, or video of it. I hate my cable company too much to uncut my cable.
                                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Working...
                                X