Page 1 of 28 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 559

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

  1. #1
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,933

    Wink Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Continue. This should be fun.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    201

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    This is hilarious.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,330

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Shoulda kept Lucia, Bob didnít win a natty at SCSU

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    201

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Sure didnít. Heís all yours now.

  5. #5
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,933

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Pretty sure Red doesn't get the cut of our jib.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    201

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Oh, I do 100%

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    201

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Good lord, let him bring in a recruiting class or two of his and youíll be just fine. In the B1G anyway.

  8. #8
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,933

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU BlackandRed View Post
    Good lord, let him bring in a recruiting class or two of his and youíll be just fine. In the B1G anyway.
    No, he's worthless, can't get to the F4 this year, fire him!

    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    201

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Oh exactly. Yet his recruits are looking like they could very well get the #1 overall seed two years in a row. What they do from there, completely another discussion. Let him take a balance of those guys and the divas the U usually gets, and you should be able to roll the B1G on a consistent basis. Probably be the 3rd best team in Minnesota but that will be a step up from where they are now.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    28

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    ok - well since the mods closed the real U of M Gopher hockey thread I'll continue pontificating in the thread -

    We were discussing in the other threat why the players are not responding to Coach Motzko -

    Has anyone forwarded the theory that perhaps the players are rebelling because they wanted Guentzel?

    it was very enjoyable to watch SCSU after the Gophers game last night -- SCSU - very entertaining, skilled hockey - hopefully this is what the Gophs will resemble again in a few seasons --

    One thing I noticed in the SCSU/CC game - not as much checking as I expected -- possibly just because it was on the olympic ice and it was two speed teams -- but then again, maybe tight checking has left the college game --

    The one thing the Gophers are good at is losing track of their defensive assignments and an opposing skater floating free near the scrum infront of Robeson -- and giving up easy goals --

    I would also like to say that just because your from Finland and you are abnormally large, does not make you a good player --

    This Ranta guys is as slow as a moose, can't handle the puck, doesn't do anything for this team -- I don't think he'll be asked back to the team next year -- does that ever happen in college hockey? A player being cut?

  11. #11
    I got the juice
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Calirado
    Posts
    1,444

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Lol

  12. #12
    I got the juice
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Calirado
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by directmagna View Post
    The one thing the Gophers are good at is losing track of their defensive assignments and an opposing skater floating free near the scrum infront of Robeson -- and giving up easy goals --
    Iíve also noticed in my limited experiences watching the Gophers that itís their defense that blows my mind. Those guys lose puck battles and let guys skate right around them as if their skate blades are riddled with burrs and theyíre just trying to not fall flat on their face. Simply going through the motions of showing up to the game and hopping on
    the ice, but thatís where their obligations end

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    2,666

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    No, he's worthless, can't get to the F4 this year, fire him!

    Since I can't reply to your point about Lucia's message going stale in the other thread, I will here. To me, 'coaches message going stale' means players are no longer listening because the coach has been around too long. I am guessing this is what you are implying. First, I assume this is 100% speculation on your part? You've said it multiple times. I understand that speculation is what we often do online, but typically when we hear this in the NHL it is because reporters are actually hearing this from disgruntled players (ie. there is some evidence it is true). I just don't know how likely this is a situation in college hockey, where players are typically only playing 3 years on average. In the NHL players might be under the same coach 6 or more years and play over twice the games in each longer season. I could maybe buy that Lucia lost some of his fire for coaching and wasn't paying attention to details as much in the last few years, but have trouble buying the 'stale message' argument when you are dealing with a league with constant turnover of players. We won't know. Or, the decline might be more about some of the reasons I listed.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    151
    This is funny.

    Maybe itís just possible that the other teams from the state of hockey have passed them.

  15. #15
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,933

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    Since I can't reply to your point about Lucia's message going stale in the other thread, I will here. To me, 'coaches message going stale' means players are no longer listening because the coach has been around too long. I am guessing this is what you are implying. First, I assume this is 100% speculation on your part? You've said it multiple times. I understand that speculation is what we often do online, but typically when we hear this in the NHL it is because reporters are actually hearing this from disgruntled players (ie. there is some evidence it is true). I just don't know how likely this is a situation in college hockey, where players are typically only playing 3 years on average. In the NHL players might be under the same coach 6 or more years and play over twice the games in each longer season. I could maybe buy that Lucia lost some of his fire for coaching and wasn't paying attention to details as much in the last few years, but have trouble buying the 'stale message' argument when you are dealing with a league with constant turnover of players. We won't know. Or, the decline might be more about some of the reasons I listed.
    When recruiting, you pull out all the bells and whistles, etc. So, in college, expectations might be different than reality. Add to it, some players just don't live up to expectations, and the team suffers for it, so that adds to it as well. If a coach can't/won't adapt to what he has...

    And magna: threads automatically close after 1000 posts.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,904

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    You guys with the blueblood programs are all crying in your beers this season and can't accept that your university has made a move that will ultimately pay dividends.
    When a winning program crashes all the fans take it hard (no firearms or razor blades should be in your homes at this time) and won't show patience for the rebuilding process to take root and grow.
    My team's program waited over 50 years to get things right so you have no room to complain about a couple of bad seasons IMHO.

  17. #17
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,933

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    You guys with the blueblood programs are all crying in your beers this season and can't accept that your university has made a move that will ultimately pay dividends.
    When a winning program crashes all the fans take it hard (no firearms or razor blades should be in your homes at this time) and won't show patience for the rebuilding process to take root and grow.
    My team's program waited over 50 years to get things right so you have no room to complain about a couple of bad seasons IMHO.
    I have faith that we will triumph in the future. I cannot speak for the others. I named this thread as a joke to poke fun at the Chicken Littles.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  18. #18
    Kings affiliate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St. Cloud, MN
    Posts
    11,684
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    I have faith that we will triumph in the future. I cannot speak for the others. I named this thread as a joke to poke fun at the Chicken Littles.
    And it's been a joke among a large group of Husky fans this year about just how fast Gopher fans would turn if Motzko didn't succeed right away. We weren't disappointed.

  19. #19
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,933

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

    Quote Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    And it's been a joke among a large group of Husky fans this year about just how fast Gopher fans would turn if Motzko didn't succeed right away. We weren't disappointed.
    Yeah, this ain't gonna be a one (or probably two) season turnaround. Changing a culture is rather difficult. Many MN fans seem to share the name Veruca Salt.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,330
    Quote Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    And it's been a joke among a large group of Husky fans this year about just how fast Gopher fans would turn if Motzko didn't succeed right away. We weren't disappointed.
    To be fair in this thread itís mostly the people who think Lucia shouldíve stayed until we had a 2-38 Mike Eaves season that are down on Bob. Most sane people on here and GPL realize itís gonna take a couple years.

    I think itís fair to question whether Bob was the right guy vs other candidates but at the very least the U decided to go a different direction as it was badly needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO
    Quick transition has ALWAYS been integral to Lucia coached teams. That's nothing new to D1 either. The buck stops with Motzko, it's his job to find a way motivate and instruct.
    It used to be, it certainly wasnít last year other than when Mittlestadt was on the ice. The team clearly got slower the last few years of his tenure and the D werenít capable of making the types of stretch passes Reilly, Skjei, and other better dmen of gopher yesteryear used to make.

    Motzko no longer has CM and his best player is playing a position he didnít play during his first two years, not exactly shocking that the team took a step back this year, theyíre simply not as talented as a year ago.
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 02-10-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •