Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Quote Originally Posted by Gunninwiththerods View Post
    Malone on Wehrs?
    Different kind of hit though. Corner vs open ice.

BADgers sweep in OT aqainst Michigan and win the tiebreaker. Gophers vs the Ugly Helmets at Mariucci in the first round. This will be a good 2/3 series.
    Last edited by SteveO; 03-02-2019 at 11:46 PM.

On the postgame on the way home Coach Motzko said Ranta's cut went "the length of his chin". Sampo showed some real toughness getting back in there after missing only a few shifts.

But I thought that hit did change the whole game, unfortunately not in the Gophers' favor. Instead of taking advantage and making them pay they were completely out of sync during the resultant 5 minute power play, looking nothing like the team they were earlier. I hope they took something away from that experience and not allow that kind of a dirty hit to put a stop to all the momentum they had generated up until that point.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by the rube View Post
    it's the 2 goal lead. Get it right.
    :d

Lucia Apologist

The WCHA will be giving them a call about that hit and the TWO kneeing penalties on 18 in a weekend. The hit should get him two games and the kneeing should get 18 a game.

I hope it comes back to bite them in the *** in the NCAAs.

**** that team. Stauber said the same thing I did after the game. Good luck finding a conference with that kind of goonery.

Lucia Apologist

There’s a picture of Ranta’s stitches floating around the Twitter sphere

The stitches are oof. Could leave a scar. He's all good, though.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Lucia Apologist

No word on Burke yet.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    On the postgame on the way home Coach Motzko said Ranta's cut went "the length of his chin". Sampo showed some real toughness getting back in there after missing only a few shifts.

But I thought that hit did change the whole game, unfortunately not in the Gophers' favor. Instead of taking advantage and making them pay they were completely out of sync during the resultant 5 minute power play, looking nothing like the team they were earlier. I hope they took something away from that experience and not allow that kind of a dirty hit to put a stop to all the momentum they had generated up until that point.
    Ranta's tough and the cut was no big deal...it's hockey. I was more concerned about a concussion.

But nice ending to a rollercoaster regular season for the Gophers closing out with a sweep at home and some confidence and momentum for the 1st round. If Michigan gets good goaltending, they're gonna be tough next weekend.

Lucia Apologist

Michigan and Penn State were the teams I wanted to avoid. But whatever. You just gotta win no matter who you play now. Four games to get us in.

I forgot the second round is single game. Lame.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Michigan and Penn State were the teams I wanted to avoid. But whatever. You just gotta win no matter who you play now. Four games to get us in.
    In order, teams I wanted MN to face: WI, MI, Pedo.

Flip a coin, I guess.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Pitlick is having a career best season (19-22-41). With his shortie last night, he has at least a point in 30/35 games this season. Nashville has exclusive rights to Rem until August 2020. IMO he's gone after this season.

Fun fact: the pick that the Predators used to select Pitlick originally belonged to the Wild. It was sent to Florida for Sean Bergenheim, then New Jersey for Jaromir Jagr, then Anaheim for Kyle Palmieri, and then Buffalo for Jamie McGinn, and finally to Nashville for Jimmy Vesey.
    Last edited by SteveO; 03-03-2019 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    Pitlick is having a career best season (19-22-41). With his shortie last night, he has at least a point in 30/35 games this season. Nashville has exclusive rights to Rem until August 2020. IMO he's gone after this season.

Fun fact: the pick that the Predators used to select Pitlick originally belonged to the Wild. It was sent to Florida for Sean Bergenheim, then New Jersey for Jaromir Jagr, then Anaheim for Kyle Palmieri, and then Buffalo for Jamie McGinn, and finally to Nashville for Jimmy Vesey.
    I doubt those were all one for one, but I see the Wild got the worst player on the list including Pitlick lol

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post

There are reasons for Rem to stick around. I call it 50/50.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post

We had our 4th line out there for a significant chunk of that 5-min PP. And I'm not even sure our #1 unit saw any time on it. Makes you wonder if maybe motzko was worried about losing one of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    There are reasons for Rem to stick around. I call it 50/50.
    The Predators have a legitimate shot to return to the Stanley Cup Finals, but being a contender could be relatively short-lived unless new prospects are brought into the system for long term success. Two D1 prospects that are top on that list are:

1) BU's Dante Fabbro, the Terriers’ junior captain is the Predators’ top defense prospect. TSN's Bob McKenzie reported last month that Fabbro is expected to turn pro at season’s end and be a part of the team during a possible playoff run.

2) Pitlick has had a couple key scoring milestones in his hockey career. He's only one of four players to score 40 goals in a season in the USHL since 2002. He hit another milestone with his career best with the Gophers this season. Apparently a few scouts and pundits thought he’d regress with Mittelstadt going to the NHL, but that hasn’t been the case.

Pitlick is a definite flight risk. GM David Poile will defintely push to get Pitlick signed and into the system this summer rather than risk losing him to free agency next year after his senior season. He’ll likely need at the very least an AHL season with the Milwaukee Admirals before jumping to the NHL. IMO I think he signs and moves onto the next level.

Rem Pitlick goes top shelf on a breakaway and buries the last goal of the regular season. Nice. > HIGHLIGHTS

Stumbled on ASU Twitter (literally, since I don't twitter) and they were hinting MN was flopping to draw penalties.

SO this has been a trying season at times. At least we got to experience a home sweep at the end. Obviously, while unlikely, winning the B1G tourney and making the NCAA's would help us forget the tough times. However, even short of that, if they somehow got out past Michigan, there would definitely be some satisfaction if they ended up beating Pedo State to knock them out of the NCAA (not that they match up well with them at all). There is at least a little more hope, based on more consistent recent play, than I had mid-season.

Thread Information