Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Is this all the chatter we get after a very nice win over the 'Fighting Irish of Notre Dame'? I tell you, being there and seeing the last couple of minutes was about as exciting as I've experienced all season. Yes, the Gophers collapsed in the 3rd, and yes they relied heavily on Robson, but they fought hard and managed to pull it out. Much better team D than we've seen for most of the 2018/2019 season. Nice to see our forwards aggressively coming back into the play and breaking up prime scoring chances by the opposition. Still lots of flaws in their game, but this time they stuck with it and got the win.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

agree - it was a good win for the boys -
      you could hear the crowd really cheering at the finish - very exciting -

I had the am1130 feed synched with the fox sports TV - Frank, Wally and Pat - the WFP line - were pretty funny -
      They get so caught up in their comments the game is going on for 2 minutes and they're talking about other stuff --

Really appreciated how the WFP crew commented that the 4th line was the spark yesterday and other lines were not playing well -- also good to hear a guest at the break (a new writer for The Athletic, Jessie Iagolo or something?) acknowledge that some of the old guys just have not been able to adjust to new coach/new systems, while the younger players have --

Comment

Originally posted by directmagna View Post
        agree - it was a good win for the boys -
        you could hear the crowd really cheering at the finish - very exciting -

I had the am1130 feed synched with the fox sports TV - Frank, Wally and Pat - the WFP line - were pretty funny -
        They get so caught up in their comments the game is going on for 2 minutes and they're talking about other stuff --

Really appreciated how the WFP crew commented that the 4th line was the spark yesterday and other lines were not playing well -- also good to hear a guest at the break (a new writer for The Athletic, Jessie Iagolo or something?) acknowledge that some of the old guys just have not been able to adjust to new coach/new systems, while the younger players have --
        They had Eric Vegoe on during a break.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
          They had Eric Vegoe on during a break.
          ah!
          yes - thank you --
          I haven't seen any of his articles up on theathletic yet -- I'm looking forward to seeing his takes --

Comment

Vegoe will now go by Jessie Iagolo.
            Last edited by Bonin21; 02-25-2019, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
              Vegoe will now go by Jessie Iagolo.
              Vegoe would love that.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Haven't even looked at standings. Can anyone tel mw wht has to happen this weekend for home ice?

Comment

I thought we have home ice locked up.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    I thought we have home ice locked up.
                    Correct!

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/2...terfinals.aspx

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                      Haven't even looked at standings. Can anyone tel mw wht has to happen this weekend for home ice?
                      Locked up, we have to win the conference tourney to get a bid to the NCAA's, if I'm not mistaken.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Game Day!

Although this series has no post-season significance for the Gophers, it will be a good home ice test against a ranked team going into the B1G tourney next week. In 4 seasons, coach Greg Powers has transformed ASU from Arizona who? to a #12th ranked Sun Devils team with a hot goalie, an NCAA leading goal scorer and a travel budget the size of Sun Devils Stadium.

Netminder Joey Daccord is tied for most Ws and shutouts in the NCAA. Throw in a shot of Johnny Walker who leads the nation in goals scored (23) and SOG, and ASU could be quite a challenge for Gophers this weekend who are 5-5-0 in their last 10 games. ASU is currently on a 5 game winning streak.

The Gophers have relied heavily on their PP this season which sets the stage for a unique special teams battle between the Gophers PP ranked 6th in the NCAA @ 25.4% vs ASU's 9th ranked PK% @ 86.4%. I expect a very fast Sun Devils team out of the gate. IMO a hard forecheck is a key to success for the Gophers against an ASU team ranked 10th in total goals scored. Go Gophers!

Comment

Great preview, SteveO - well done!

One other tidbit: Motzko was quoted in the paper this morning saying that Robson and Schierhorn will each get a start this weekend.

Comment

Excited for tonight! Do we know if ASU will be invited to join the B1G?
                            Really impressive to see div1 hockey doing well out west! We have a great game - it's pretty neat to see div1 hockey growing!

Comment

I hope not. Don’t dilute the brand. ASU is NOT a big ten school. Johns Hopkins and Notre Dame (to a lesser extent) are.

It also adds a long flight. No thanks.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                I hope not. Don’t dilute the brand. ASU is NOT a big ten school. Johns Hopkins and Notre Dame (to a lesser extent) are.

It also adds a long flight. No thanks.
                                Wouldn't surprise me if it happens. Would take UMD over them as an affiliate 1000x.

Comment

Working...
                                X