Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
Results 501 to 520 of 664

Thread: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

  1. #501
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, Wis
    Posts
    1,415

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    DG is available...…..
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Maybe the U.W. and Strobel can "mutually part ways" like Donny did with the Chicken Hawks.

    There's your open spot. ��
    According to Eric the Red over on Buckyville, DG hated coaching at UW and isn't interested in coming back.

  2. #502
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,578
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    According to Eric the Red over on Buckyville, DG hated coaching at UW and isn't interested in coming back.
    That’s curious.

    It also matches well with his quick exit. I wonder what his objections were.
    Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 04-25-2019 at 08:41 AM.

  3. #503
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    4,101

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    DG is available...…..
    I don't think Q has named his staff in Florida yet...

    I'd think the chances Donny lands at UW would be pretty much zero. Or he would have stayed. Seems pretty clear now that from the start Donny's plan was only for a couple of years here at the most, just long enough to help get things back on track. When things went well early, he went back to his career track a year or so ahead of schedule. Be interesting to see where he does end up.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  4. #504
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    654

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    For those with a subscription to The Athletic, there is a pretty nice article from one of the Rangers writers about Miller
    LINK

    A good portion of the article is talking about Oz being "the man" when it comes to developing college players into NHL players. Nothing new there, all of the same names that everyone always talks about from years ago.

    A couple of interesting snips about Miller from the article:

    Where Miller wants to go is from Madison, Wisconsin to Madison Square Garden. But he is not in a rush to get there. He won’t say definitively, but Miller won’t turn pro now, instead planning and training for his sophomore season with the Badgers. Granato and the Rangers’ front office all believe he will play one more year of college hockey, at least.

    “I think that would probably be the best decision for me,” Miller told The Athletic.


    ---

    Still a teen, he is also still growing. Miller said he sprouted almost another inch, where he’s almost 6-foot-5 now, and since the season ended he’s added about six pounds of muscle to get to 210. He hopes to be even a bit stronger and heavier when he reports to Rangers prospects camp following the June draft.

    ---

    “Next year’s going to be a year where there’s going to be new challenges for him. He’s not the new kid on the block anymore. The teams he plays against are going to be looking at him differently and coming after him and whatever. Then he’s also going to have the opportunity to play and potentially be a captain for the World Junior (USA) team and have a chance to win a gold medal there. And we’ll have a better surrounding cast around him next year to potentially have a really good year as a collegiate player. So he’s got a lot more growing to do before he’s really ready for the NHL. Could he play in the NHL and play games and do fine right now? Absolutely. But…is it the right time for him to jump to the NHL? I don’t think so. But I think he’s really close.”

    Miller has time. So do the Rangers. Kravtsov is coming over from Russia this summer, as is Shesterkin. Almost certainly Kakko (or Jack Hughes, depending on whom the Devils select first overall) will be on the team opening night.

  5. #505
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, Wis
    Posts
    1,415

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    I subscribe to the athletic and it is the best money I have spent on sports/news in a long time and everyone should, even though they don't currently cover Badger Hockey.

    another great tid bit:

    "Why wouldn’t he? At Wisconsin, Miller has the advantage of working with associate head coach Mark Osiecki, a former NHL defenseman who has helped place more than a dozen Badgers D-men in the NHL. Those include Ryan McDonagh, Justin Schultz, Tom Gilbert, Jake Gardiner, Jake McCabe, Brendan Smith, Jamie McBain, John Ramage and Cody Goloubef."
    Last edited by WiscTJK; 04-25-2019 at 10:22 AM.

  6. #506
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    2,316

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    I don't think Q has named his staff in Florida yet...

    I'd think the chances Donny lands at UW would be pretty much zero. Or he would have stayed. Seems pretty clear now that from the start Donny's plan was only for a couple of years here at the most, just long enough to help get things back on track. When things went well early, he went back to his career track a year or so ahead of schedule. Be interesting to see where he does end up.
    Granato was brought in to keep tabs on Q was one of the prevailing theories after one of his Hartford Whaler buddies was shown the door and Granato came in with another old Hartford Whalers Q buddy as a 2 for one replacement. While I am not sure of the voracity of Granato was the GM "spy", I am fairly certain he was not a Q guy or choice as his hiring tree has almost always been a former running mate typically from the Whaler days. Granato will not end up on Q's Florida staff.
    Last edited by markwojo; 04-25-2019 at 10:25 AM.

  7. #507
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    11,046

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    I'd think the chances Donny lands at UW would be pretty much zero. Or he would have stayed. Seems pretty clear now that from the start Donny's plan was only for a couple of years here at the most, just long enough to help get things back on track. When things went well early, he went back to his career track a year or so ahead of schedule. Be interesting to see where he does end up.
    I agree he probably won't end up @ UW. I just don't want to see him land at B6 school, but since he left to coach in the NHL, I think that is where he will end up. As great as the future looks, there are still questions about the coaching and it's probably a slam dunk we'd all sleep better tonight with DG back.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  8. #508
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,630
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    According to Eric the Red over on Buckyville, DG hated coaching at UW and isn't interested in coming back.
    Did he offer any quotes or anecdotes? I’m not surprised because Don seems like he’s always coveted an nhl head coaching gig but it really rubs me the wrong way with how he said he was “indebted” to the U and then just bolted. Makes me think he was full of ****.

  9. #509
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    4,101

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Quote Originally Posted by markwojo View Post
    Granato was brought in to keep tabs on Q was one of the prevailing theories after one of his Hartford Whaler buddies was shown the door and Granato came in with another old Hartford Whalers Q buddy as a 2 for one replacement. While I am not sure of the voracity of Granato was the GM "spy", I am fairly certain he was not a Q guy or choice as his hiring tree has almost always been a former running mate typically from the Whaler days. Granato will not end up on Q's Florida staff.

    Hmm... interesting... Not a big Blackhawks fan so I don't follow the team gossip. I did think Tony and Q were still pretty tight so I'm a bit surprised at the idea that Q didn't pick/want Donny.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  10. #510
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,578
    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Did he offer any quotes or anecdotes? I’m not surprised because Don seems like he’s always coveted an nhl head coaching gig but it really rubs me the wrong way with how he said he was “indebted” to the U and then just bolted. Makes me think he was full of ****.
    Who knows.

    I don’t know about him being full of ****, at least not any more than Robbie Earl was when he said he’d be back for his senior year.

    Sometimes people say things publicly that they know they “need” to say, but then real life happens and they sometimes decide that staying put isn’t for them.

  11. #511
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    4,101

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    I agree he probably won't end up @ UW. I just don't want to see him land at B6 school, but since he left to coach in the NHL, I think that is where he will end up. As great as the future looks, there are still questions about the coaching and it's probably a slam dunk we'd all sleep better tonight with DG back.
    Love to have him, but I'm not too worried about the staff yet. I'm still of the opinion that comparing the stats from 2 years ago and then this last year and concluding the big difference is Donny is a logical fallacy. Seems more reasonable to conclude that a large part of the difference would be having Kunin, Frederic, Hughes, and Wagner up front.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  12. #512
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, Wis
    Posts
    1,415

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Did he offer any quotes or anecdotes? I’m not surprised because Don seems like he’s always coveted an nhl head coaching gig but it really rubs me the wrong way with how he said he was “indebted” to the U and then just bolted. Makes me think he was full of ****.
    He stated that a former player told him this and that DG didn't like the NCAA limited contact preseason, going to classes, academic tracking, etc.....

  13. #513
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,578
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    He stated that a former player told him this and that DG didn't like the NCAA limited contact preseason, going to classes, academic tracking, etc.....
    There’s a lot to coaching college hockey that has nothing to do with hockey.

    I can only imagine that it’s not for everyone.

  14. #514
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,630
    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Who knows.

    I don’t know about him being full of ****, at least not any more than Robbie Earl was when he said he’d be back for his senior year.

    Sometimes people say things publicly that they know they “need” to say, but then real life happens and they sometimes decide that staying put isn’t for them.
    Truth. I’ll chalk it up to an overly hyperbolic introduction of the dream team coaching staff with all the videos and rah rah sentiments.

    And objectively there was no way to keep all 3 guys around for very long. I’ll be happy if TG can retain Oz for a few more years. Despite my misgivings as to how poorly the D played last year.

  15. #515
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    36

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Big Article on Donny today from the Athletic Bhawks guy.

    Says he has a pretty good idea what his next move is!

  16. #516
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    77 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality
    Posts
    3,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratbill View Post
    Big Article on Donny today from the Athletic Bhawks guy.

    Says he has a pretty good idea what his next move is!
    I might make enemies here. While it would've been great to keep him, now I say "except "**** him". I don't want his ego around or wondering when he's going to leave our program for another NHL gig.

  17. #517
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    11,046

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    I might make enemies here. While it would've been great to keep him, now I say "except "**** him". I don't want his ego around or wondering when he's going to leave our program for another NHL gig.
    That's why I can't see him coming back. He could be the best coach of Oz, himself and TG, but he's not going to sit tight for 5 years even with the title of Assistant Head Coach.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  18. #518
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    11,046

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Pondering titles during a boring lunch....

    Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Are we THERE yet?
    Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: If not now, never?
    Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Seeing the right red.
    Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Is this a dream?

    All 4 can have a positive or negative interpretation, which I'm not sure I like considering I'm all in on the red Koolaid.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  19. #519
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    39

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    He stated that a former player told him this and that DG didn't like the NCAA limited contact preseason, going to classes, academic tracking, etc.....
    I am sure that most NCAA coaches would say the same thing about those rules and many more of the rules. That doesn't mean that they can't work within those rules

  20. #520
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Pondering titles during a boring lunch....

    Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Are we THERE yet?
    Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: If not now, never?
    Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Seeing the right red.
    Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Is this a dream?

    All 4 can have a positive or negative interpretation, which I'm not sure I like considering I'm all in on the red Koolaid.
    I resubmit my future thread title suggestions...

    For the offseason....
    "Wisconsin Offseason 2019-Gearing Up to Shoot Our Way Out"

    For the regular season...
    "Wisconsin 2019-2020-Time to Get Offensive"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •