Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Sad Panda

Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    I feel it in the Border Battle games lately. The skill level is down and they are nowhere near as intense. Sucks.
    Really is. You want to feel passion in the rivalry but all you feel is malaise of late. Just a sad state of affairs at this point.

Hopefully things are headed in the right way for both teams in the rivalry.

Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

I’m a masochist, I rewatched the 92 title game and here is what stands out besides the refs giving lssu 5 5x3 powerplays And the ludicrous call on Macdonald:

The upperclassmen in Richter and Macdonald didn’t corral the guys. They needed a Rohlik or Burish and I guess didn’t have that.

Sauer needed to use his time out to calm his players down.

Finally and maybe most important.

Shawn Hill should have been playing his senior season but Wcha refs told Sauer he’d be a marked man due to an incident at Denver iirc.

If Hill was playing he’d have made a huge difference.

Back to today. Ncaa championship next season or bust.

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators

Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    I feel it in the Border Battle games lately. The skill level is down and they are nowhere near as intense. Sucks.
    I know! It blows being equally schitty as you guys and actually getting along. I hate liking you guys. It better change this September.

The "Coasties" might not agree with this, but who cares what they think; there's something wrong with college hockey if WI and MN both aren't in the top 10.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    I know! It blows being equally schitty as you guys and actually getting along. I hate liking you guys. It better change this September.

The "Coasties" might not agree with this, but who cares what they think; there's something wrong with college hockey if WI and MN both aren't in the top 10.
    Yes! Wisconsin, Minnesota And Nodak need to be top 10. I hope that happens as soon as next season.

Anyone see this?
    https://t.co/4nWnlwR0UT

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Anyone see this?
    https://t.co/4nWnlwR0UT
    I saw that on twitter yesterday. I will admit I was a little shocked considering what the sue and the rodents have sent to the table.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Interesting article in the NY Times on the recent changes in "power programs" in NCAA Ice Hockey.

It is a pay site, but they allow you to view a few articles a week for free...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/28/s...ozen-four.html

Quote Originally Posted by KaMiGo View Post
    Interesting article in the NY Times on the recent changes in "power programs" in NCAA Ice Hockey.

It is a pay site, but they allow you to view a few articles a week for free...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/28/s...ozen-four.html
    Yep, sure makes me wonder if Tony and Oz are on the right track for trying to bring the Badgers back to prominence. Or are they completely wrong and the Mike Hastings / Minn State method is the way to do it these days.....

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss12 View Post
    Should we be concerned when articles that refer to hockey powers missing from the tournament that Wisconsin is never mentioned anymore as an elite program??
    The fresh faces have come at the expense of college hockey’s traditional powers. For the first time since 1970, Boston College, Boston University, Michigan, Minnesota and North Dakota all missed the tournament. Combined, they have won 32 national titles.
    No, that's just ignorance of reporting.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    Yep, sure makes me wonder if Tony and Oz are on the right track for trying to bring the Badgers back to prominence. Or are they completely wrong and the Mike Hastings / Minn State method is the way to do it these days.....
    Hastings was on many of our lists for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Hastings was on many of our lists for sure.
    He was my number 2 after Coughlin, which was a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    You have to wonder what the fan base here would think of that approach.

We aren't going to go after young studs who are predicted draft picks, we are going to wait and find the guys that we can develop and bring them in at an older age.

I'm sure that once (if) the method became successful people would be OK, but what would that transition look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    I saw that on twitter yesterday. I will admit I was a little shocked considering what the sue and the rodents have sent to the table.
    The gopher goalie really sunk their case when compared to the likes of Cujo/Belfour.
    UW vs UND:

Heatley > Parise (before his legs gave out)

Pavelski < Toews

Mellanby < Oshie

Chelios > Patrick

Suter > Ludwig

Cujo = Belfour
    Last edited by digitalbooya; 03-30-2019 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Fixing formatting

Watching the Umass game today. Announcers where drooling over the Badgers next year.

Interesting that Carvel has Umass in the NCAA tourney in year 3 of taking over a not to stellar program at the time. Sure do hope the incoming players are the saviors of this program.

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrumbower View Post

Interesting that Carvel has Umass in the NCAA tourney in year 3 of taking over a not to stellar program at the time. Sure do hope the incoming players are the saviors of this program.
    Agreed. They really came out of nowhere! It shows what a fresh coach can do; Im anxiously waiting for it to happen here. (Former UMass coach "Toot" Cahoon should be in the college hockey HOF just for his handle!)

AIU had a Cinderella run, but their schedule, well....Meh.

I don't know about you guys but I'm pulling for a DU vs UMD final.
    Last edited by MadCityRich; 03-31-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtrumbower View Post
    Watching the Umass game today. Announcers where drooling over the Badgers next year.

Yes.,and Eaves had Wisconsin in the tournament in year two and a title in year 4. There are many reasons I don’t buy the argument of more time being needed but here we are.

It’s critical Wisconsin win the title next season. These kids esp, Turcotte, Holloway, Miller, Kalynuk won’t be around beyond next season so the time is now. And once 1/2 the frosh Of Turcotte, Holloway, Caulfield, Lindmark etc al leave they’re back to middle of the pack.
    Last edited by solovsfett; 03-31-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    It’s critical Wisconsin win the title next season. These kids esp, Turcotte, Holloway, Miller, Kalynuk won’t be around beyond next season so the time is now. And once 1/2 the frosh Of Turcotte, Holloway, Caulfield, Lindmark etc al leave they’re back to middle of the pack.
    Oh Solo, it's so very difficult to win the title! Just ask Mark Johnson. We have seen especially this year it's pretty much a crapshoot who wins these tourney games. I think it's super critical that UW make the tourney. If they make the tourney, anything can happen. It they win, awesome! But it's more important to establish themselves as a top 10 team and a B7 contender. That makes (most) fans happy and the program can gain some more momentum on the recruiting trail with the bigs. If they don't make the tourney next year, blow it up and start over, I don't see how there could be any other response to that.

Let's go RED!

What, no one here wants to post that TG is leaving to coach the Devils like someone did with Eaves years ago?

Drunkard

We’re waiting for the London Knights to poach a USNTDP recruit.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    We’re waiting for the London Knights to poach a USNTDP recruit.
    One has to wonder how different Oplika's career might have been had he played @ UW. I can still see him on the bench as they were introduced at the Blake Geoffrion Classic that we attended and how excited we were, then it all blew up.

Thread Information