Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 562

Thread: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Southwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    8

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Just got home from the big city. The word that comes to mind after that game is demoralizing. We played well enough to win, Lebby kept us alive, but we couldn't bury the puck when we had the opportunity. To lose with 9.5 seconds left was just plain frustrating. I really hope Tyler Inamoto doesn't see the ice again this year. His stupid penalty, although a misconduct that didn't put us down a man, was selfish, and his play has just not been good of late. And the referees tonight, my goodness! The hip check that was called interference on Ess in the 3rd, the hitting after the whistle call on Achan (which I don't mind them calling but for crying out loud, match them up), and the tripping call on Baker were terrible. I didn't see a good replay of Joshua's hit, but from what I saw in real time, it looked like a good play, maybe a 2 minute minor, I was shocked to see them give him a five and a ten. If anyone saw it on TV, I'd be interested in your take.

    Bottom line though, Ohio State found a way to win, that's what good teams do. I was really hoping we were going to pull it off tonight, but....nope.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,390

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    20 wins, 14 wins, 9 wins. Trend anyone?

    I listened to the talk this week and suddenly people are saying thereís a 5-year plan. Interesting to say the least...

  3. #23
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    10,685

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Johnson recruited for Sauer and I distinctly recall he was hesitant to travel a lot at that time. It was due to family which is great but it led to subpar recruiting and he was/is tied to Sauerís last few years which I believe led to Richterís decision on Eaves.
    Someone (joeyv, timothya, et al) correct me if iím wrong.
    That was the story circulating around. It kinda makes sense since MJ has said in the latest round of interviews that family has always played a role in his job decisions.

    Super stoked to be attending my first non-exhibition game of the year tonight, doing a men's women's double with supper at the Nitty between. On Wisconsin!
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  4. #24
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    4,071

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger_Bretzky View Post
    Just got home from the big city. The word that comes to mind after that game is demoralizing. We played well enough to win, Lebby kept us alive, but we couldn't bury the puck when we had the opportunity. To lose with 9.5 seconds left was just plain frustrating. I really hope Tyler Inamoto doesn't see the ice again this year. His stupid penalty, although a misconduct that didn't put us down a man, was selfish, and his play has just not been good of late. And the referees tonight, my goodness! The hip check that was called interference on Ess in the 3rd, the hitting after the whistle call on Achan (which I don't mind them calling but for crying out loud, match them up), and the tripping call on Baker were terrible. I didn't see a good replay of Joshua's hit, but from what I saw in real time, it looked like a good play, maybe a 2 minute minor, I was shocked to see them give him a five and a ten. If anyone saw it on TV, I'd be interested in your take.

    Bottom line though, Ohio State found a way to win, that's what good teams do. I was really hoping we were going to pull it off tonight, but....nope.
    Welcome to the Board!

    I'm going to disagree with most of what you said, though. While yes, it's disappointing that Inamoto takes a misconduct penalty there, it was a matching penalty with Joshua, who is a really good player that I will be glad to see leave college hockey as I've seen him make so many dangerous plays over the years. (I wonder how many guys he has injured in total in his career?) When my teammate gets blasted in the head by a guy like Joshua, I'm going to jump all over that situation right now myself. Interesting take on his play as I've thought Inamoto has played quite well lately. It's a tough (and mostly unnoticed) job being the responsible guy paired with Kalynuk who will just take off at any time. You better be ready and in the right spot 100% of the time. Plus the step down from Inamoto to Peltonen is gigantic, so he needs to play a lot of minutes this year and next. I think the 5 on Joshua is called 100% of the time in the game today, as it should be. Shoulder directly to the head is a pretty automatic 5 and game misconduct regardless if it was on purpose or accidental.

    The hip check on Ess was a pretty routine call. The puck was past Ess, and Ess was late to close. 5 years ago it was a good play, but it has been a point of emphasis that you can no longer interfere with a puck carrier who doesn't have the puck on entry. Agree that Achan was a cheap call that they should have matched up as The OSU guy he cross checked was the third man in after the whistle. The trip on Baker was a correct call, as Baker blindly swung his stick into Jobst's skates as Baker was going down. What's frustrating is that Jobst probably tripped Dhooghe 10 seconds before that to turn the puck over and keep it in the zone which probably should have been called. I guess you could say the difference though is that Jobst is going to the net with the puck and had a scoring opportunity taken away by Baker's trip. So you kind of have to call that one.


    Brutal loss though. How many times have the young Badgers won most of the battles but lost the war this year? (and last year too, to be fair) Just very tough mentally for the boys to play pretty well and come up short yet again. Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  5. #25
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    4,071

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    I was in the MJ for HC camp when they hired Eaves but as I recall one of knocks on Mark was the idea that many people just thought him too "nice" to coach the men's program. At the time, it was thought that Sauer was too soft and running a bit too much of a Country Club atmosphere. I think it made some sense to folks that the program needed more discipline and toughness. Eaves and his "Iron Mike" persona at that time (Eaves mellowed a ton in the latter half of his stay even though he could still be scary intimidating at certain times.) was thought by many to be more of what the program needed. Can't argue much with the first half of Mike's career, but I thought the idea that Mark was too "nice" was kind of bogus, as he commands a certain type of respect in (and out of) the hockey world that is pretty rare. At any rate, UW saw the opportunity to add one of the most sought after coaches in the country at the time in Eaves, and still retain Mark at the head of the fledgling women's program. It was probably a very sensible decision at the time and it worked pretty well, for the most part, for several years.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Southwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    8

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Hey Wisco,

    I appreciate the analysis. I do however get frustrated when a head contact major is called on a taller player vs a shorter guy, no matter who it is. Hit a guy in the head with an elbow or a stick and I'm all for the five minute major, but when a tall guy hits a shorter guy against the boards, it's nearly impossible to not have head contact; what's the guy supposed to do, crouch? But you're right, given the guy's history, he's going to get looked at harder as he should.

    Regarding Inamoto, I will concede that playing with Kalynuk is challenging, but too often this season we've seen Tyler not able to control himself. Standing up for your teammate is totally legitimate, but do it on the ice, don't skate over to the penalty box and start chirping through the glass, that's completely out of control and selfish. Inamoto is far and away the team leader in Penalty Minutes and I just don't see the upside. 1 Goal, 6 Assists, 50 PIMs and a -3, to me isn't getting it done. I want him to succeed, I really do, he's a good skater and he does move the puck well, but too often his out of control antics hurt the team.

    Oh well, we try again tonight.

  7. #27
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    77 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality
    Posts
    2,986
    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    20 wins, 14 wins, 9 wins. Trend anyone?

    I listened to the talk this week and suddenly people are saying thereís a 5-year plan. Interesting to say the least...
    With supposedly better players; yep, a disturbing trend! So the 5 year plan will be 2 - 4 wins? Or if they begin to turn it around in 2 years, THEN how long before success? JFC, I'll be retired and maybe even ****ing dead. *Sarcasm.

    Bretzky, welcome! Very good first couple of posts. This place has always been a great site for discussion without much clone-on-clone killing!
    Last edited by MadCityRich; 02-09-2019 at 11:26 AM.

  8. #28
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    4,071

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger_Bretzky View Post
    Hey Wisco,

    I appreciate the analysis. I do however get frustrated when a head contact major is called on a taller player vs a shorter guy, no matter who it is. Hit a guy in the head with an elbow or a stick and I'm all for the five minute major, but when a tall guy hits a shorter guy against the boards, it's nearly impossible to not have head contact; what's the guy supposed to do, crouch? But you're right, given the guy's history, he's going to get looked at harder as he should.

    Regarding Inamoto, I will concede that playing with Kalynuk is challenging, but too often this season we've seen Tyler not able to control himself. Standing up for your teammate is totally legitimate, but do it on the ice, don't skate over to the penalty box and start chirping through the glass, that's completely out of control and selfish. Inamoto is far and away the team leader in Penalty Minutes and I just don't see the upside. 1 Goal, 6 Assists, 50 PIMs and a -3, to me isn't getting it done. I want him to succeed, I really do, he's a good skater and he does move the puck well, but too often his out of control antics hurt the team.

    Oh well, we try again tonight.
    Agree that it is frustrating on these head contact calls especially in the situations you cite. I'm sure OSU fans hated the call on Joshua. I think Baker took one early in the year where a guy just swung his head into Baker's path and there was nothing Baker could do. But that's the rules. I was slow to come around but the fact is that allowing blows to the head will destroy the players and the game in this day and age. So it's been decided that there is to be no tolerance for direct contact to the head and it is incumbent on the contacting player to avoid it. While it may be totally unfair to taller guys, the fact is they just have to adjust and not be blasting short guys in the head. One thing that has happened is that hip checking, which had all but disappeared from the college game, is re-emerging as the way to play. Good, because I love a good hip check, and it's much safer. Commit a second or two sooner and Ess would have made a spectacular play blowing up a puck carrier on the one he was whistled for.

    Agree totally that Inamoto takes too many penalties (and fair enough, on him chirping back to the box) especially on a team that can't kill them. (if we had a 90% kill and scored shorties, then who really cares?) The captain takes too many as well if truth be told. But I think Inamoto is developing into a pretty good college D and we need him. Agree he has to have better control of himself. To your point, you know what's amazing? Emberson has just 3 penalties all year. That kid is maybe the most fundamentally sound 18 year old D I have ever seen play in my life. The Coyotes absolutely stole him in the third round.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,904

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    I thought the officiating was less than stellar both ways. Yes, I was livid about the call on Joshua but from the TV view it did not look like what they called. Even your Wisconsin play by play TV guys came back after 1st intermission and said they looked at it more and could not see the penalty.
    I will say I know Dakota well and he was barking away like usual and more than likely said something the refs took offense to and stung him for it! But unless someone here on forum was in the stands with a better view of it I say the initial call was BS.
    Aaron was a ref from the CCHA days and nearly all of them were terrible and he hasn't improved. Time for some youngbloods wearing the stripes!

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, Wis
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Well the Mark Johnson Jersey retirement was nice. The rest of this thru 2 periods is complete horse $-!!.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,390

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    This is an absolute embarrassment. They canít coach the talent they have and they do not instill any discipline.
    Terrible: F-

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Southwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    8

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Welp, didn't get to watch the game, but looking at the stats it appears the refs earned their money tonight. I also see my favorite defenseman took a five minute major with one second to go in the 2nd? I won't pass judgement because I didn't see it, but it sure sounds like more of the same undisciplined crap. SMH.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,904

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    I've got to say there's a lot to like and admire about your program and it's rich history. I wish our administration hadn't ignored our program and it's needs for years and years so we could have had a storied history!

  14. #34
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    77 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality
    Posts
    2,986

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    This crowd tonight PROVES there is still interest in Badger hockey. What an exciting, emotional, exhilarating evening!

    Then 7:00 rolled around and put a pile of steaming schitt on the evening. I know a couple weeks ago I said I was done going this year, but I HAD to go tonight; it's history.

    Now (like the `18-`19 Badgers) I'm done. My hockey cash is firmly planted in the hands of the Wild & Blackhawks.
    Last edited by MadCityRich; 02-09-2019 at 10:09 PM.

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,800

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Miller hurt could actually help you get another year out of him

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    This crowd tonight PROVES there is still interest in Badger hockey. What an exciting, emotional, exhilarating evening!

    Then 7:00 rolled around and put a pile of steaming schitt on the evening. I know a couple weeks ago I said I was done going this year, but I HAD to go tonight; it's history.

    Now (like the `18-`19 Badgers) I'm done. My hockey cash is firmly planted in the hands of the Wild & Blackhawks.
    Speaking of two other crappy hockey teams...

  17. #37
    Badger Backer
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    567
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalbooya View Post
    Speaking of two other crappy hockey teams...
    And DB gets credit for my favorite board post of the year! Bravo!

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, Wis
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger_Bretzky View Post
    Welp, didn't get to watch the game, but looking at the stats it appears the refs earned their money tonight. I also see my favorite defenseman took a five minute major with one second to go in the 2nd? I won't pass judgement because I didn't see it, but it sure sounds like more of the same undisciplined crap. SMH.
    It was a penalty as he hit him high but 10.0 on the embellishment as the Ohio State kid folded like he was shot.

  19. #39
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    77 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality
    Posts
    2,986
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalbooya View Post
    Speaking of two other crappy hockey teams...
    The NHL is fantastic to see in person. Those teams are close to Madison. I go to watch who they play AGAINST! My Avs aren't in my backyard.

  20. #40
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    77 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality
    Posts
    2,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Miller hurt could actually help you get another year out of him
    Or his agent, errrrr I mean family advisor, might say, "Time to leave K', why risk an injury in college?"
    Just another angle.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •