Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Problem: Canned music sucks.
    Solution: All music played by the band.

Next question.
    💥, drops 🎤

Maybe play enter sandman when the team comes in but other than that let the band take control
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

There are moments where fans respond with something genuine and moving, wherecanned music can help create something bigger than the song.

https://youtu.be/veHQMaxiOmg

https://youtu.be/uOFMov4RR_Q

But moments like that are rare. More often than not, it just shuts up the crowd.

You’d think that there isn’t anything substantially different about a pep band, but there’s something about the feel of it, about how brass heavy our band is, how much the drums come into play. Or maybe it’s our history of having cheers lead by the band. Whatever it is: the band _leads_ the atmosphere, it doesn’t distract from it.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        💥, drops 🎤

Maybe play enter sandman when the team comes in but other than that let the band take control
        Band plays all music after the opening faceoff.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          I just LOVE when the fans of soccer teams sing like that, it gives me chills. Maybe that is why I love singing "Varsty" so much and I do enjoy "Sweet Caroline" at the hockey games.

Comment

I just LOVE when the fans of soccer teams sing like that, it gives me chills. Maybe that is why I love singing "Varsty" so much and I do enjoy "Sweet Caroline" at the hockey games.
            Jump Around needs to be an exception.

Comment

Problem: Not enough goals scored.

Solution: Score more goals.
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

I don’t have a dog in the fight with European soccer, but I will defy anyone who says that You’ll Never Walk Alone isn’t one of the most moving anthems in all of sports. The only thing that comes close is how hilarious it is that West Ham United fans sing a song about their dreams fading and dying.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

Get more top end talent -> score more goals -> win more games -> get more fans in the seats -> create a better atmosphere -> present a better experience during recruiting visits -> get more top end talent...

Comment

Originally posted by kamigo View Post
                    get more top end talent -> score more goals -> win more games -> get more fans in the seats -> create a better atmosphere -> band plays all music ->present a better experience during recruiting visits -> get more top end talent
                    fyp.

Comment

I'd bet that >90% of people who go to games love when there's a lively atmosphere and a vocal crowd. I'd also bet that <10% of that majority are comfortable hearing their own voices. The vast majority would happily join in if everyone else were already up and about, but they are "everyone else."

The Kohl Center isn't the Field House. It can certainly get bonkers and have the liveliest of lively atmospheres, but the pep band (even at its maximum bball/hockey size) won't fill the venue like the volleyball band can at the Field House. My friends with men's hockey season tickets at the north end of the arena tell me how insanely quiet and distant it feels over there.

I would love it if they had one of those systems that slightly amplifies the band in the farther sections of the venue to balance it out. I don't know how expensive that is to get the desired payoff. Either way, there are moments where I realistically prefer some pump up song over the loudspeaker.

There is an answer, and it's to go to Forward Madison games, befriend those people, and haul them to Badgers games. (Kind of like an in-real-life ctrl+c ctrl+v maneuver.) I've met a lot of other fans who lament how few people appreciate what UW Hockey games could be, because they're Badgers fans too. Despite being in a very open air environment and having fewer people, the Flock End packs a bigger punch than any of the Badgers student sections these days, because everyone in that group of a few hundred(?) wants what we're all talking about in this thread. (And no, it's not just because of the beer.)

Rip out a section of seats, replace it with a standing section (non-student), get people on board, get the sitting people to spread the energy.

...While I'm on the topic unrealistic stuff, they should set ice roads so we can all skate to the games, which are all on major national TV networks, where they give us in-seat massages and *sniffs the air* lobster for dinner!

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

Oh, and this.
                      Last edited by WiscDC; 07-02-2019, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                        While I'm on the topic unrealistic stuff, they should set ice roads so we can all skate to the games, which are all on major national TV networks, where they give us in-seat massages and *sniffs the air* lobster for dinner!
                        We can arrive from Bascom hill like this......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC635rC_1Us
                        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post

There is an answer, and it's to go to Forward Madison games, befriend those people, and haul them to Badgers games. (Kind of like an in-real-life ctrl+c ctrl+v maneuver.) I've met a lot of other fans who lament how few people appreciate what UW Hockey games could be, because they're Badgers fans too. Despite being in a very open air environment and having fewer people, the Flock End packs a bigger punch than any of the Badgers student sections these days, because everyone in that group of a few hundred(?) wants what we're all talking about in this thread. (And no, it's not just because of the beer.)
                          I don't care how great the "Flock End" is, I won't pay to go to a soccer match. There is a reason they have to have crazy fans and get it pumped up, because the game is awful to watch. That isn't the case with hockey. When my daughter switched from soccer to lacrosse, it was the happiest day of my life.... Ok, I am exaggerating, but only slightly
                          Last edited by WiscTJK; 07-03-2019, 08:41 AM.
                          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

The thing about atmosphere at the KC...

Dane county capacity was around 9,800, the band played all of the songs, Phil was on the mic getting people jazzed, Lecrone was younger and running around, banners were allowed, beer garden blue line club in full effect.

Then KC, band plays far fewer songs and in an arena that holds 6,000 more people the size of the band was not increased. Lecrone got old and less animated, no banners, no old chants, the hockey team isn’t The only winner (Uhm, they haven’t won consistently in 24 years) on campus AND no beer sales. Boring.

The answers are easy for cement head Alvarez, he just refuses to allow for them cause it’s not football. And if all people in Madison, one would think Barry would want beer sal s but I digress.
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                              I don't care how great the "Flock End" is, I won't pay to go to a soccer match. There is a reason they have to have crazy fans and get it pumped up, because the game is awful to watch. That isn't the case with hockey. When my daughter switched from soccer to lacrosse, it was the happiest day of my life.... Ok, I am exaggerating, but only slightly
                              Gotta say that I want to like lacrosse, but at this point I am not into it. The game doesn't move fast enough for me. I did enjoy when one of my sons played soccer. The game has grown on me over the years. If I HAD to watch a soccer or lacrosse game, not sure which way I would go.

Comment

Gotta say that I want to like lacrosse, but at this point I am not into it. The game doesn't move fast enough for me. I did enjoy when one of my sons played soccer. The game has grown on me over the years. If I HAD to watch a soccer or lacrosse game, not sure which way I would go.
                                In the late 2000s, MCR Jr was one of the LAX organizers for his high school team. I had watched College LAX on ESPN but never understood it. Once he started I really got into it. He also played LAX for MSOE.

Can't choose between LAX or soccer, Tim? Too slow?

Jeez Tim, I don't even know you anymore.
                                Last edited by MadCityRich; 07-06-2019, 12:32 PM.
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X