Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Making it in next year should be the minimum. We can't have these constant up-and-downs. Teams will have occasional stinkers, but the Badgers had some of them right after some really good games.

Next year it's got to be "All balls out, All the time."
    Exactly. It's like they are bipolar (no pun but I don't have a better analogy/meaphor).

Zimmer is a great example. Some nights I don't hear his name. And then tonight he makes 2 plays that makes me think he should be a top liner. Like you said ups and down happen. But the swings this team has seem very out of the ordinary. They need cockiness and swagger. Or something. Don't get it.

**Edit** They need the cockiness and swagger of the old days at the Coliseum.
    Last edited by druzy192; 03-10-2019, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
      You missed my point. What I'm saying is the wording/phrasing of the program is literally telling everyone the program sucks right now. If I told you something sucked, would you go and invest your money to see it? Then the same people turn around and complain about declining attendance and enthusiasm. Yes, the program sucks. Yes, they were great in the past. Are they moving in the right direction? They went from 20-15-1 to 14-19-3 to (likely) 14-18-5 in their first three seasons. That's a big NO.

Again, winning culture is the cure to everything. I don't think Tony Granato has a winning culture to him. Never made the NCAA tourney as a player. Didn't do jack as an NHL coach aside from be carried by a stacked Avalanche team for 1.5 seasons. Detroit sucked when he was an assistant. Pittsburgh was a very mediocre playoff team with him as an assistant despite having the best two centers in the game. His track record is horrible. He's going to miss the NCAA tourney as a coach in his first three years. He made a mediocre hire in Strobel after the guy who should have been head coach moved on to the Blackhawks. He's about to be carried by probably the most loaded recruiting class in Wisconsin history. Hell, if he can keep those types of classes coming then he might be able to work with it. But if they leave early it's going to be Eaves 2.0 and endless complaining all over again. Remember: we have the HIGHEST paid coaching staff in college hockey. Give me one **** good reason why he can't make the tournament in the first three years of being head coach. He's paid to get results and he's just not getting them. And no, I don't have any nostalgia of him as a player. My parents do, but I don't. Maybe that's why I am way more aggressive about my thoughts on him as coach.

I guess if you read anything of my post it's this: It's annoying that people say we have no idea what Wisconsin hockey was like in regards to winning and crowds. I feel like that's a jab at how the younger generation reacts to and participates in badger hockey when it should be more focused on getting the program to that level so they can experience themselves what it was like when you all were younger. Sure hope they figure it out soon.
      To be fair to Tony, how is it his fault Sauer couldn’t get a team with Granato,Tuttle, Ranheim, Stanton et al to the ncaa’s?

As an assistant in the NHL he can’t be at fault for the failures of an HC or GM. What he can do is coach players up as best he can. Sidney Crosby loves Granato, fwiw.

Now if the next class actually are one and dones we’ll see just how far Tony can go on his own. It’s quite astounding to me that despite three years of recruiting there will still be no less than 6 Eaves recruits on the team next year. Yet another reason why recruiting kids at 14-15 is a terrible idea.

EDIT: I am not saying Tony is a great coach. I’m ****ed at the entire staff for the last 2 seasons of subpar hockey but more important a general lack of development of the players. Unless the team is filled with dumbbells tgere’s No reason for this.

Also, my opinion on next season. Frozen four is the goal, ANYTHING short of that and Barry can send the entire staff packing. And beyond that, if there are 3 Heatley-type difference makers then they should win it all.
      Last edited by solovsfett; 03-11-2019, 09:41 AM.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        Yet another reason why recruiting kids at 14-15 is a terrible idea..
        [/I]

It may be a terrible idea, but it's how it works now. Having a 17 yr old stud who is uncommitted is a rarity. The only other option is a go after 20 yr old freshmen out of Canada who are late bloomers, but even then the pickings would be slim.

The next 2 years will be awesome. After that it's TBD.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Teams tend to take on the personalities of the head coach. Seems to TG is always chirping/complaining to the refs, allowing his emotions to get the best of him. Even the other coaches are falling prey to it. That leads the team to do the same things, which leads to more physical/preventable/unproductive penalties like slashing/crosschecking/roughing. TG needs to really clam up and keep his composure if he wants this team not take stupid penalties. He probably won't, that's the kind of player he was, but maybe he can change, he needs to.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            Teams tend to take on the personalities of the head coach. Seems to TG is always chirping/complaining to the refs, allowing his emotions to get the best of him. Even the other coaches are falling prey to it. That leads the team to do the same things, which leads to more physical/preventable/unproductive penalties like slashing/crosschecking/roughing. TG needs to really clam up and keep his composure if he wants this team not take stupid penalties. He probably won't, that's the kind of player he was, but maybe he can change, he needs to.
            Really?

I see it this differently.

TG can get ramped up and spend some time with the refs at the end of a period, or when they come over to explain a call...but he is nowhere near as animated as MM was.

Eaves seemed like he was in the front row of the bench area leaning over the boards trying to get the attention of the refs at least 2-3 times per period. And it wasn't just a "stand there and wave arms over head" to get their attention. He was red in the face from yelling and probably slamming his hands on the boards. I can't say that I remember seeing TG like that, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
              Really?

I see it this differently.

TG can get ramped up and spend some time with the refs at the end of a period, or when they come over to explain a call...but he is nowhere near as animated as MM was.

Eaves seemed like he was in the front row of the bench area leaning over the boards trying to get the attention of the refs at least 2-3 times per period. And it wasn't just a "stand there and wave arms over head" to get their attention. He was red in the face from yelling and probably slamming his hands on the boards. I can't say that I remember seeing TG like that, ever.
              I am not in a position to compare MM and TG's demeanor with the refs. All I will say is from what I have seen this year and heard on the broadcasts TG (and the staff) whine too much about the calls for my liking and I think it goads his players into taking dumb emotional penalties. It's ok once and awhile to blow your top, but it seems to me that though TG isn't blowing his top, he has too many instances when he's right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                I am not in a position to compare MM and TG's demeanor with the refs. All I will say is from what I have seen this year and heard on the broadcasts TG (and the staff) whine too much about the calls for my liking and I think it goads his players into taking dumb emotional penalties. It's ok once and awhile to blow your top, but it seems to me that though TG isn't blowing his top, he has too many instances when he's right there.
                As much as it pains me to say this , I agree with KaMiGo. I don't think he is as "on the refs" as much as MM. I think in interviews TG is more honest about what he thinks. Look at George Gwozdecky. He was one of the most animated yelling at the refs coaches there was and he was successful. I think I remember him getting up on the boards and going on the ice. Unfortunately with this year's team, there was not method for punishment for taking stupid penalties as these guys were all needing to play. Next year that won't be the case. I am willing to bet they take less penalties next year with playing time being a premium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNumTfae7Z0
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwOAbc18NZs

Good stuff there!
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                  As much as it pains me to say this , I agree with KaMiGo. I don't think he is as "on the refs" as much as MM. I think in interviews TG is more honest about what he thinks. Look at George Gwozdecky. He was one of the most animated yelling at the refs coaches there was and he was successful. I think I remember him getting up on the boards and going on the ice. Unfortunately with this year's team, there was not method for punishment for taking stupid penalties as these guys were all needing to play. Next year that won't be the case. I am willing to bet they take less penalties next year with playing time being a premium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNumTfae7Z0
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwOAbc18NZs

Good stuff there!
                  He does not seem like a screamer to me. Challenging calls/backing players is part of the job and he seems pretty composed on the bench.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                    Give me a sec to upload to youtube. Hults ran into Winchester and Winchester pushed him away.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN2XVKBuDVE

So if Winchester gets a game misconduct for that, does Hults get a game misconduct for running into him?

I love how the announcers are like "one of the Wisconsin assistants trying to shove Cole Hults." Yeah, Winchester shouldn't shove Hults, but Hults shouldn't be running into coaches on the ice! That's incredibly disrespectful and immature on Hults' part.

Also, don't really like Granato getting into it with Penn State players. Don't be a goon, be a good coach. Playing days are over.
                    Just saw this. Wow. Looks to me like hults targeted Winchester. Very nodak-like. He should have received an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                      Just saw this. Wow. Looks to me like hults targeted Winchester. Very nodak-like. He should have received an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.
                      yep, that's what i thought too.
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                        Stats after Michigan:

PWR 26th of 60 - improved 5 spots
                        GPG 3.06 up 4 spots to T20th
                        GAA 3.44 stayed at 52nd
                        PP% 16.00% down 1 spot to 44th
                        PK% 74.10% still 59th
                        Pen Minutes 13.29 up (worse) 1 spots to 12th (1st is the most penalties)

Well those were a couple exciting fun games Friday and Saturday and I got to enjoy both live. Hoping that this is the building blocks for next week and next year.
                        Last update this year. Stats after Ped State:

PWR 28th of 60 - down 2 spots
                        GPG 3.05 down one spot to 21st
                        GAA 3.51 down one to 53rd
                        PP% 16.67% up 6 spots to 38th
                        PK% 74.34% up 3 to tie for 56th
                        Pen Minutes 13.95 up (worse) 4 spots to 8th (1st is the most penalties)
                        Faceoff % 42.0% will finish dead last at 60th by a full 2%.

Ugly ugly year statistically for sure. There some serious work to to do besides bringing in all these offensive guys.....
                        Last edited by WiscTJK; 03-12-2019, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Last update this year. Stats after Ped State:

PWR 28th of 60 - down 2 spots
                          GPG 3.05 down one spot to 21st
                          GAA 3.51 down one to 53rd
                          PP% 16.67% up 6 spots to 38th
                          PK% 74.34% up 3 to tie for 56th
                          Pen Minutes 13.95 up (worse) 4 spots to 8th (1st is the most penalties)
                          Faceoff % 42.0% will finish dead last at 60th by a full 2%.

Ugly ugly year statistically for sure. There some serious work to to do besides bringing in all these offensive guys.....
                          going to need better defense next year to help improve Lebby's 3.42 GAA and .893 Save %, Berry was 3.19, .895

Comment

going to need better defense next year to help improve Lebby's 3.42 GAA and .893 Save %, Berry was 3.19, .895
                            Jurusik was 2.50 and .909

And he played behind a D group with 0 NHL picks and forwards with 1 NHL pick.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

And he played in a weak conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                                And he played in a weak conference.
                                WCHA went 9-6-2 vs the B1G

Comment

Working...
                                X