Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Should just forget that game happened and move on. That was ugly.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Missed the game. Did tischke play? Kalynuk?
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Cool video re:1990 heroes
        https://youtu.be/JrlWjAi8ZK0

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          Both played.

Comment

They played but Tischke was clearly hurting and practically playing on one leg. Kalynuk's injury was less noticeable, but he wasn't himself either, finishing with just one shot on goal. Seems to me that our D were not just limping, but Emberson, Ess, and Inamoto were also showing the effects of the giant effort and minutes they gave the night before covering for Peter. (and Peltonen.) In retrospect, not keeping Bunz as the extra skater seems like a bad choice now, as he could have sucked up some minutes and given guys a bit more time off going into tonight.

Badgers started off fairly well, keeping the shifts short and preventing PSU from running and gunning, but by the middle of the first, the Badgers got caught on some long shifts, PSU started pinning them in and it was all downhill from there. I thought Lebby was really excellent in the 1st, probably our best player, but the volume of quality chances took it's toll as he had faced close to 40 shots by the mid point of the second, and one guy isn't going to hold PSU off by himself forever.

Achan and Malone getting 10m misconducts was really dumb, no doubt though they feel the reffing was kinda one-sided through two games (It's been shaky) but at least they got to rest in the box for half of the 3rd. Boys just looked gassed, didn't have energy, couldn't kill the play early and get out of their own end. PSU was fighting for their life and played like it. With the wounded D, it seems hard to imagine the Boys can get it done on the road tonight. On the other hand, they've been surprisingly good all year coming back after a lackluster performance the night before. Maybe there's one more game like that left in them this year.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

I agree with everything Wisco said above, they just looked tired. Not holding out much hope for tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                Wow, the names on the jerseys! Hard to believe that was almost 30 years ago. Those of us who were around back then talk about it a lot, but it was awesome. Those of you who jab at us for discussing it have NO ****ING IDEA how good the program was, how loud and fun the games were, the hatred for MN and NoDak, etc.

Thanks for the link.

The WI penalties this weekend were disturbing. Not seeing the games, I have no idea if the Badgers are getting a bad reputation or they're being ****ing idiots. If it's the latter, the staff better get things under control before October. I wonder if Winchester has added an edge? He wasn't a choir boy.
                Last edited by MadCityRich; 03-10-2019, 11:42 AM.
                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

So fantastically awesome you posted that video link. That was MY team. I'll always look back at that Badger Hockey season with a fondness that will never be exceeded.

The legs are burning lads, but your hearts are also burning for a victory. Please play smart hockey today with some composure. It is indeed another great day for hockey.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                    Wow, the names on the jerseys! Hard to believe that was almost 30 years ago. Those of us who were around back then talk about it a lot, but it was awesome. Those of you who jab at us for discussing it have NO ****ING IDEA how good the program was, how loud and fun the games were, the hatred for MN and NoDak, etc.
                    Preface: Hella triggered by years of comments. Don't take this post personally as it's not aimed specifically at you, but rather the older folks of the fanbase.

Sick of condescending posts. Y'all realize it's nothing to do with what it used to be. It's the old people trying to tell the young people what to do and how they should act that drives me up a wall. Having old people tell you what to do or how the program USED TO BE good isn't fun. It quite literally ruins the experience.

Also, back in the 90s they played at the DC Coliseum which, according to Wiki (I know, reliable...), had a capacity of about 7,500 people for hockey games. Even if it were upwards of 10,000 it would still be FULL on a regular basis nowadays. Wisconsin is second in all of college hockey in attendance with an average of 10,044 and Minnesota is a very distant third at 7,944. They play in the second biggest rink in all of college hockey. Attendance PEAKED all time from about 2005 to 2012. It wasn't the 90s, 80s, 70s, etc. It was the mid to late 2000s and early 2010s. I had season tickets with my parents, both of whom graduated in the very early 1990s from Madison and went to games on the regular, from 06-08'. Those games were an absolute blast to go to and they made the weekdays seem extra long because you couldn't wait for the weekend to arrive. The 4 year cycle and taking to long to get a new head coached literally bottomed the program out. That's on Barry "I'm not a hockey guy" Alvarez. That's not on the fanbase for showing displeasure with a team lacking results. Hell, some of you on here had a way longer leash on Tony Granato than me the "young guy who has no clue about how great and loud the program used to be." Maybe I noticed it quicker cause I chat up the Minnesota Wild fans over on HF who are extremely knowledgable on the game and spent less time in the "hello old friend" honeymoon phase. I remember being so ****ing annoyed when North Dakota came to town and the Badgers literally spent the entire two games circling backwards into their own zone. He isn't a good coach or a good example. Getting into it with opposing teenagers/early 20 year olds!? That's our coach ladies and gentlemen. More focused on talking trash than anything else a coach SHOULD BE doing.

But then again I have no ****ing idea what a good college team looks like or what a pure rivalry is, right? Oh wait, I do though! My university is the only remaining undefeated team in all of college hockey. You want to know why? Winning culture! UWSP literally lost their head coach to Michigan Tech and they keep winning because that's what they do. Yes, I am aware that Wisconsin prior to 2000 had probably the best winning culture in the country. Yes, in my days of first watching college hockey (2005-2010) Wisconsin went to two national championship games in five years. My first memory that I can remember was watching Brückler struggle against I believe Alaska Anchorage in the WCHA playoffs and Brian Elliott came in and the Badgers willed their way to a victory. People know what winning culture looks like. The excitement and adrenaline for the program will return when the winning culture resurfaces.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                      Preface: Hella triggered by years of comments. Don't take this post personally as it's not aimed specifically at you, but rather the older folks of the fanbase.

Sick of condescending posts. Y'all realize it's nothing to do with what it used to be. It's the old people trying to tell the young people what to do and how they should act that drives me up a wall. Having old people tell you what to do or how the program USED TO BE good isn't fun. It quite literally ruins the experience.

Also, back in the 90s they played at the DC Coliseum which, according to Wiki (I know, reliable...), had a capacity of about 7,500 people for hockey games. Even if it were upwards of 10,000 it would still be FULL on a regular basis nowadays. Wisconsin is second in all of college hockey in attendance with an average of 10,044 and Minnesota is a very distant third at 7,944. They play in the second biggest rink in all of college hockey. Attendance PEAKED all time from about 2005 to 2012. It wasn't the 90s, 80s, 70s, etc. It was the mid to late 2000s and early 2010s. I had season tickets with my parents, both of whom graduated in the very early 1990s from Madison and went to games on the regular, from 06-08'. Those games were an absolute blast to go to and they made the weekdays seem extra long because you couldn't wait for the weekend to arrive. The 4 year cycle and taking to long to get a new head coached literally bottomed the program out. That's on Barry "I'm not a hockey guy" Alvarez. That's not on the fanbase for showing displeasure with a team lacking results. Hell, some of you on here had a way longer leash on Tony Granato than me the "young guy who has no clue about how great and loud the program used to be." Maybe I noticed it quicker cause I chat up the Minnesota Wild fans over on HF who are extremely knowledgable on the game and spent less time in the "hello old friend" honeymoon phase. I remember being so ****ing annoyed when North Dakota came to town and the Badgers literally spent the entire two games circling backwards into their own zone. He isn't a good coach or a good example. Getting into it with opposing teenagers/early 20 year olds!? That's our coach ladies and gentlemen. More focused on talking trash than anything else a coach SHOULD BE doing.

But then again I have no ****ing idea what a good college team looks like or what a pure rivalry is, right? Oh wait, I do though! My university is the only remaining undefeated team in all of college hockey. You want to know why? Winning culture! UWSP literally lost their head coach to Michigan Tech and they keep winning because that's what they do. Yes, I am aware that Wisconsin prior to 2000 had probably the best winning culture in the country. Yes, in my days of first watching college hockey (2005-2010) Wisconsin went to two national championship games in five years. My first memory that I can remember was watching Brückler struggle against I believe Alaska Anchorage in the WCHA playoffs and Brian Elliott came in and the Badgers willed their way to a victory. People know what winning culture looks like. The excitement and adrenaline for the program will return when the winning culture resurfaces.
                      History matters l. Sorry you’re offended but really i’m Not sorry. No-one here singles you out or younger fans generally.

Wisconsin appeared in 7 ncaa championship games from 73-92. That’s a powerhouse. It’s a statement of fact. How would that bother you?

Also fact is Wisconsin has NOT been a powerhouse since about 1995 when the last players from the 92 meltdown graduated.

Comment

History matters l. Sorry you’re offended but really i’m Not sorry. No-one here singles you out or younger fans generally.

Wisconsin appeared in 7 ncaa championship games from 73-92. That’s a powerhouse. It’s a statement of fact. How would that bother you?

Also fact is Wisconsin has NOT been a powerhouse since about 1995 when the last players from the 92 meltdown graduated.
                        You missed my point. What I'm saying is the wording/phrasing of the program is literally telling everyone the program sucks right now. If I told you something sucked, would you go and invest your money to see it? Then the same people turn around and complain about declining attendance and enthusiasm. Yes, the program sucks. Yes, they were great in the past. Are they moving in the right direction? They went from 20-15-1 to 14-19-3 to (likely) 14-18-5 in their first three seasons. That's a big NO.

Again, winning culture is the cure to everything. I don't think Tony Granato has a winning culture to him. Never made the NCAA tourney as a player. Didn't do jack as an NHL coach aside from be carried by a stacked Avalanche team for 1.5 seasons. Detroit sucked when he was an assistant. Pittsburgh was a very mediocre playoff team with him as an assistant despite having the best two centers in the game. His track record is horrible. He's going to miss the NCAA tourney as a coach in his first three years. He made a mediocre hire in Strobel after the guy who should have been head coach moved on to the Blackhawks. He's about to be carried by probably the most loaded recruiting class in Wisconsin history. Hell, if he can keep those types of classes coming then he might be able to work with it. But if they leave early it's going to be Eaves 2.0 and endless complaining all over again. Remember: we have the HIGHEST paid coaching staff in college hockey. Give me one **** good reason why he can't make the tournament in the first three years of being head coach. He's paid to get results and he's just not getting them. And no, I don't have any nostalgia of him as a player. My parents do, but I don't. Maybe that's why I am way more aggressive about my thoughts on him as coach.

I guess if you read anything of my post it's this: It's annoying that people say we have no idea what Wisconsin hockey was like in regards to winning and crowds. I feel like that's a jab at how the younger generation reacts to and participates in badger hockey when it should be more focused on getting the program to that level so they can experience themselves what it was like when you all were younger. Sure hope they figure it out soon.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post

I'm from a (somewhat) younger generation. Graduated college in 2008. Been coming on here since 2005ish when I was a sophomore. Ive went through at least 4 usernames bc I'd take long breaks and forget my password, or change my email,etc. Otherwise i'd have more than 60 posts.

I don't feel that the older guys on here are condescending. I don't agree with some of the stuff they say about the fans being "lost forever" or whatever. But I appreciate the memories they share about the Coliseum and the old days. I vaguely remember going to the Coliseum with my dad as a little kid. He had season tickets since the 70's. I remember it was awesome.... and that the Blueline Club had a section of the hallway blocked off (think it was the Blueline Club). And it was loud and crazy. I think it was a different animal back then. And I thinks it's something the current program needs to strive for.... so it's important to remember that time. For the fans and players.

I also think the Kohl Center was fun at times over the last 10-15 years. I had plenty of good times there too.

But this bull**** that's going on now has to stop.
                          Last edited by druzy192; 03-10-2019, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Special K still out of course, but joined by the Captain in the cheap seats tonight.

However there's still hope Badger fans! Offensive Juggernaut Jake Bunz is in the line up tonight! Let's go Jake!!!

Let's go Red!!
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Come on guys....it's down to 1 period to win. LET'S GO RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• What a terrible wave off.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: What're YOU looking at?

The number of times a poster posts per day is directly correlated with how dissatisfied he is with his relationship.

Comment

Working...
                                X