Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Guys: the WCHA is never coming back, and the only way to avoid what happened is for college hockey to remain small and never grow.

In the long run, which option is better?
    But attendance is waaay down at UW and MN. No one in Ohio cares about buckeye hockey and even at Notre Dame it’s an also ran. Ped state is the one school filling the building often but even that isn’t a given anymore.

Also, Ped state, Illinois and eventually Iowa will help in growing the sport nationally? 2 of those 3 if not all 3 will be average teams at best once things shake out.

The NHL is a niche compared to the big 3 which makes the idea of an even smaller niche ncaa hockey’s attempt to emulate football laughable.

That is why this will fail. Ohio State could win 4 straight titles and they’ll Still draw 7-8k for hockey in Columbus.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
      As a fan, who cares if it never grew? It's a niche sport
      I agree with this. We should accept our fate as a niche sport but enjoy the crap out of it. The only fear with a niche sport is death, but that is not a fear for this niche.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Not really. No one will pick IL over UW. No one.
        They have Champagne tastes at Illinois.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          I must agree that I also have zero interest in UW playing IL. Let them join another league.
          Here’s another thought. Watch Illinois come in and be a doormat for 10 years. Watch Illinois shutter the program. Watch Minnesota’s AD say he or she has had enough, their fans hate the b10 and they want out. What happens then? Is Minnesota obligated to stay? And if they are what kind of chicken**** is that after seeing how football and basketball play musical chairs with conference affiliation?

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            Here’s another thought. Watch Illinois come in and be a doormat for 10 years. Watch Illinois shutter the program. Watch Minnesota’s AD say he or she has had enough, their fans hate the b10 and they want out. What happens then? Is Minnesota obligated to stay? And if they are what kind of chicken**** is that after seeing how football and basketball play musical chairs with conference affiliation?
            Do you really think that Minnesota would give up the $$$ from the Big Ten to jump to some other conference?

Assuming that they would look to the NCHC for hockey, where would they go for other sports? The Big 12?

Come on. I know that hockey is a big deal in Minnesota, but the school isn't going to blow up the good thing that they have in all of the other sports for the sake of hockey fans who long for the "good old days".

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
              Do you really think that Minnesota would give up the $$$ from the Big Ten to jump to some other conference?

Assuming that they would look to the NCHC for hockey, where would they go for other sports? The Big 12?

Come on. I know that hockey is a big deal in Minnesota, but the school isn't going to blow up the good thing that they have in all of the other sports for the sake of hockey fans who long for the "good old days".
              All we can hope for is a super conference or yearly conference challenge against the NCHC.

I don't think the money they're getting is that great from the Big Ten... Travel expenses have gone way up, the promise of more TV exposure was BS, ticket sales fell...

What positive has the Big Ten done for any of the schools?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                All we can hope for is a super conference or yearly conference challenge against the NCHC.

I don't think the money they're getting is that great from the Big Ten... Travel expenses have gone way up, the promise of more TV exposure was BS, ticket sales fell...

What positive has the Big Ten done for any of the schools?
                Some people will never accept the Big Ten Hockey Conference. I get that. I accept that. I do not agree with that stance.

We all know that Big Ten Hockey hasn't lived up to the hype, yet.

I strongly believe that the time will come when a new generation of fans will get just as excited about the developing Big Ten rivalries as some people were about old WCHA match-ups.

However, you cannot deny that the Big Ten Conference as a whole has been a giant piggy bank for the member schools. Something like $50 million per year paid out to each school. That is on the backs of football and basketball. Hockey is just along for the ride and that will never change.

When Pegula wrote that check things were set in motion that nobody can ever change. The Big Ten is not going to allow a member school to have their hockey team compete in a different conference. The Big Ten is not going to disband or drastically rearrange anytime soon. This is the new world, we all have to live in it.

And to your request of something positive, I'm digging the playoffs at campus locations approach. I think it should be trimmed to a 2 weekend affair with 1 round of 3-game eliminations (7 at 2, 6 at 3, 5 at 4 with 1 getting the bye) and then the remaining 4 all go to the #1 seed and play semis on Saturday and the final on Sunday.
                Yeah, the Final Five was awesome for those who went. I never went and probably never would have. This gives a much larger base of fans the opportunity to watch playoff hockey (while host schools get more ticket revenue).

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

Have you seen how many no-shows they have? AZnD the drop in actual sales? The b10 can’t hold them hostage anymore than they can force Notre Dame into b10 for football/roundball.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

And to your request of something positive, I'm digging the playoffs at campus locations approach. I think it should be trimmed to a 2 weekend affair with 1 round of 3-game eliminations (7 at 2, 6 at 3, 5 at 4 with 1 getting the bye) and then the remaining 4 all go to the #1 seed and play semis on Saturday and the final on Sunday.
                    Yeah, the Final Five was awesome for those who went. I never went and probably never would have. This gives a much larger base of fans the opportunity to watch playoff hockey (while host schools get more ticket revenue).
                    Lol... So the Big Ten tries a neutral site playoff and it fails miserably because no one likes the conference and people aren't going to travel that far, and then they make an absolute no brainer change that a middle schooler could come up with, no one shows up, and that is a positive that the Big Ten has provided? Ya, a positive over the crap they started out with...

Home first round + Final Five >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Big Ten home series + 2 one game weekends >> Big Ten home series + neutral site that no one goes to.

You said yourself you never went to the Final Five. I can tell you it was a million times more fun than what we have now. Look at the NCHC tournament...

Comment

So the Polish Prince is the last one standing? It's really cool that my special needs daughter has taken such a liking to the Sharks and Joe. When he got hurt she was SO concerned, as was I of course. Gotta love my hockey buddy. Blues/Sharks - Bruins/Canes kinda unlikely matchups. The Cane's uni's last night were sweet, though maybe they were just their typical roads but I haven't seen a road game of theirs in years, even in the first 2 rounds.

Comment

Joe needs to take down the Blues and then the Bruins, who I cannot stand.

Comment

Whom

Go Blues

(No Gophers left so cheering against the other two teams more than anything.)

Comment

• St-Louis is a great story. I really don't have a dog in the fight, but there are a bunch of guys on the Sharks that I believe deserve a Cup.

Pavelski, Jumbo, Burns, Couture, and especially Erik Karlsson after playing for years with the God-awful Senators organIzation.
                            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

It would bother me a lot if the Sharks were to win the cup based on 1. A major penalty call that was a minor at best; 2. An offsides challenge that was cheap to request, and the overturning of a goal based on an interpretation (and I'm still not sure ti was clear enough to overturn on on-ice call) that completely misses intent of rule ; 3. As blatant of a hand pass leading to a game-winning goal that was missed.

And I really dislike Marchand and some of the Bruins, so even though I don't really like the Blues either, for me they are lesser of three evils. (Might not even watch a Sharks/Bruins final.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
                                It would bother me a lot if the Sharks were to win the cup based on 1. A major penalty call that was a minor at best; 2. An offsides challenge that was cheap to request, and the overturning of a goal based on an interpretation (and I'm still not sure ti was clear enough to overturn on on-ice call) that completely misses intent of rule ; 3. As blatant of a hand pass leading to a game-winning goal that was missed.

And I really dislike Marchand and some of the Bruins, so even though I don't really like the Blues either, for me they are lesser of three evils. (Might not even watch a Sharks/Bruins final.)
                                The Sharks did benefit from those calls for sure. I dont like the Bruins mostly because of that ******* Marchand. There's a line between being a player like Dino Ciccarelli and others were, and just being a complete ***** like Marchand. I hope he fux with the wrong guy someday and gets "put to sleep".

EDIT: Wow the Blues really taking it to the Sharks. The Sharks are losing the battles, the game, AND their composure. I don't know if losing Karlsson on D is an issue, but you've got to score, too. I don't recall hearing Pavelski's name at all today.
                                Last edited by MadCityRich; 05-19-2019, 04:31 PM.
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X